Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the heartworm meds during the winter. I hate giving Kemo this stuff so I was wondering since the chances are slim in the winter of contracting it if I should bother. I have taken him off Frontline now for the winter. I mean basically he is an indoor dog and I have no yard, so I am always with him if he is outside.

Also I know it handles whipworm and round worms? They come from other poopies right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Even though Harley is a indoor dog, there is still a chance to get heartworms from bug bites, and misc. places. Harley is always on heartworm meds. (Heartguard Plus). He loves them! I get the chewables for him. Better to be safe then sorry :wink:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
My mother doesnt but I still do. I am paranoid and have been told that even though the risk of heartworm after the first frost is minimal, the risk is still there. I tend to want to error on the side of caution, but like I said my mother doesnt give heartworm meds in the winter and her dogs are doing fine.
-Jessica

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I am torn as to what to do. I HATE MEDS!!! I dont even take them myself very much. I will have to do more reading, good to know the first frost info Thanks :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My vet told me that heartworm should be given all year, the flea stuff can be stopped after the second frost.
I would rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
Thanks I am torn as to what to do. I HATE MEDS!!! I dont even take them myself very much. I will have to do more reading, good to know the first frost info Thanks :wave:
I don't like taking meds myself. But, I don't want to risk the healh of my baby though. You do what you feel right for you. Good luck :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I definately will be continuing. Florida winters aren't very bad and even if they were, I wouldn't take the chance. Several years ago, I adopted a dog (Roger) who was 7-8 years old. He was a lab mix who came into the shelter heartworm positive. The shelter (despite it costing several hundreds of dollars) put him through heart worm treatment, but he had heartworms for so long, the heart had already begun heart failure and he had an enlarged heart and required medicine for the rest of his life. The vet said he would live for only 6 more months after treatment (shorter if no treatment),but I was blessed to have him for another 2 1/2 years.

As a side note, I wrote a story on Roger and it was selected to be printed in the local paper during "National Pet Week". Here is his story:

In Memory of Roger

About four years ago, I adopted Roger, an old (about 8 years old) chow-retriever mix, from Pet Welfare.

Roger had been at Pet Welfare for several months because he was not the "typical" dog you would adopt. It was evident that he had a tough life before Pet Welfare took him in. He was older then most of the other dogs for adoption, and had chronic heart failure due to heartworms. I decided to adopt Roger because he was so upbeat about life, and he was so caring and affectionate.

When I initially took Roger to the vet, I was told he might only live about six months because of his heart condition. I wanted to give him the best remaining months any dog could have. We would do the occasional trip to the fast-food restaurant for half a cheeseburger, and a walk on the beach. Every night Roger slept by my bedside (occasionally in the bed), and greeted me every day after work with his favorite stuffed teddy bear. Despite his hearing loss, he always managed to hear me when I would say "Roger, want a cookie?"

Roger got along great with my other animals. He acted more like a "father-figure" to my younger dogs and cats, although he wasn't too fond of my rabbit. Even though Roger could only walk about 50 yards before tiring out, he still enjoyed his daily walk around the neighborhood.

I continued to take Roger for regular checkups, and his heart condition remained stable. Over the next couple of years, Roger's coat turned from Red to Gray. He had developed some inner-ear problems which caused his head to be tilted as he walked. Using my best judgment, I felt he was not suffering, and was coping with his disability.

A few months later, he had a cancerous tumor removed from his tail, and it was determined that the cancer would come back. I knew that the time was coming when I would have a very difficult decision to make. This became more apparent when Roger had difficulty getting up, occasional shortness of breath, and began loosing bodily functions.

With the help of family members, I decided to have Roger put to sleep. Even though this was the hardest thing I ever did, it was an unselfish decision, and the right decision. Against all odds, Roger lived 2 1/2 years longer than expected. I had the pleasure of having Roger in my life for three years.

It has been a year since his death and he is still missed greatly, but with the memories and pictures around the house, he will never be forgotten. Now, I envision him in a happy world running through a field of sunflowers. ...

I hope when anyone decides they want to adopt a pet from the local shelter, they will not judge an animal solely on its appearance and age. Even though Roger only lived for three years after I adopted him, I would never hesitate to adopt an older dog.

Just re-reading his story gets me emotional. To this day, I still miss him alot. I didn't mean to go on such a tangent, but heartworms are a dreadful and CAN be prevented.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aw that is so :( sad! I am sorry for our loss but happy that he got to live it so filled with love. THANKS

·
Registered
73 Posts
:( :crybaby: . So sad!!!!! I miss him too, and I didn't even know him.
Thank you for telling us your story. Even though I have swollen red eyes now. :oops:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
SO sad noahfl. He was very fortunate for you to take him in and give him a great life for what he had left to live.

·
Registered
280 Posts
NoahFL, thank you for sharing that with us, Roger was a handsome guy!! Although I have never had a dog with heartworms myself, I have seen what it can do to them. And I agree, older dogs and special needs dogs can be just as wonderful as those cute puppies, sometimes even more so because they know how things can be and love you even more for caring for them.

I'm glad you had three wonderful years with Roger.
MD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts