Chihuahua People Forum banner

Is your dog licensed with the appropriate state/county?

• Yes, my dogs are licensed

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • No, my dogs are not licensed

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure it is the law in the US to have pets licensed...question is how many of us have our dogs licensed?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither are mine. They are all up to date on shots and whatnot, I just...have never gotten around to getting them licensed. I've been feeling a bit guilty about it but TBH I wonder what the point is?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Mine have a puppy license which is technically only good until they're six months, but it says it expires in "2010." I'll just go with it until the end of the year, and then probably not bother renewing them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Mia is licensed with Marion County here in Oregon. It's the law here for dogs to be licensed. I usually pay about $15 a year but to me its worth it. If Mia were to get lost she would have my info to contact me.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Same here, they are all current on shots, etc, so could be licensed but they arent. Im not aware of any particular benefits to the owners, I think its just a way for your city/ county to make a little money, and to see how many pets you have if they have laws restricting number of dogs you can own, etc. Its not expensive or anything, just kind of pointless. I cant imagine it ever being a problem that they arent.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yerp, all of mine are except for Maya. She will be when I relicense the rest of my pack at the beginning of the year.

In our town they are very tricky. If your dog gets a rabies shot...the town is notified. If you don't get them licensed within 30 days you get a notification in the mail stating you must license them otherwise you'll get an added fee/fine. So yeah...really no way about NOT registering your pup if they are UTD on their vacs.

AND get this...they give you until the end of Jan to register/license your dogs. If not there is something like a $12 fee. So what did I do (or didn't do) last year until the first week in Feb? Thinking it was a $12 FLAT fee? Nope...$12 PER DOG! I paid more in late fees than I paid to have my pups licensed!! THAT was ridiculous! But you know what I won't be doing this coming year...procrasinating. LOL

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Same here, they are all current on shots, etc, so could be licensed but they arent. Im not aware of any particular benefits to the owners, I think its just a way for your city/ county to make a little money, and to see how many pets you have if they have laws restricting number of dogs you can own, etc. Its not expensive or anything, just kind of pointless. I cant imagine it ever being a problem that they arent.
Mine are licensed, but I agree with you. I don't see any benefit to the owner at all. Here's what I read on one site about one county in Ohio and I think it's pretty much the same across the board.

"The license fees are used to fund the Animal Control agency to keep stray dogs from overrunning the county; stray dogs can run in packs and become dangerous."

That being the case, the folks in Summit Cty are really being ripped off. The Animal Control situation there is reputedly heinous.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Yerp, all of mine are except for Maya. She will be when I relicense the rest of my pack at the beginning of the year.

In our town they are very tricky. If your dog gets a rabies shot...the town is notified. If you don't get them licensed within 30 days you get a notification in the mail stating you must license them otherwise you'll get an added fee/fine. So yeah...really no way about NOT registering your pup if they are UTD on their vacs.

AND get this...they give you until the end of Jan to register/license your dogs. If not there is something like a $12 fee. So what did I do (or didn't do) last year until the first week in Feb? Thinking it was a $12 FLAT fee? Nope...$12 PER DOG! I paid more in late fees than I paid to have my pups licensed!! THAT was ridiculous! But you know what I won't be doing this coming year...procrasinating. LOL
Yep, that's how it is here. Robbery!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
It was stopped in the UK as it was too much trouble and cost more chasing up people, which is why I am surprised they brought in horse passports.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I voted no, but that's just the majority here ;) Gatsby and Eleanor are not registered. Kahlua however, is.
But, even Gatsby and Ellie are current on their rabies vaccines and I have a folder set aside for easy access with every rabies certificate on hand to prove it.
In IL yes you are required to have them registered with the county; honestly the only reason I haven't gotten around to it yet is because we moved; and because the vet clinic I actually work at (where they get vaccinated) is an hour away from where I live; and they don't have my county's tags. Not that it's any huge effort; but its an extra step to have to take the certificate in to the courthouse here. I did with Kahlua simply because she's admittedly the one I do pretty much everything with, and with everywhere that I take her, it's more likely that someone would ask for proof of registration. (Don't get me wrong I love all my dogs, but no doubt Lua's the favorite lol..)
Just an odd note; in my city; not only are you required to register your dogs; but you are also legally required to have your dog microchipped as well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yep same here as soon as you get your dog a rabies shot the county is notified and they will send you a bill and if you don't license your dog then they fine you and the fines are crazy expensive! The license fees are also pretty crazy too - $24 per dog for 1 year, but only if they are fixed, if not then it's like $125 per dog for one year. Then heaven forbid your dog becomes impounded then it's a $70 fee for day one and something like $25 or more each day after that. So you have to hope and pray if your dog does get out a good neighbor will return them to you instead of calling the pound!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Wow really? I didn't know there were some states that actually require it. Interesting.
Yup! But that's the thing, it's not the state. Not even the COUNTY. It's just the CITY... pretty ridiculous IMO. But I guess I won't complain either because I think it's a great thing; and right after they enforced the law a couple years ago; all the vet clinics in the area had a day dedicated for 'walk-ins welcome' to just be microchipped for $15. I didn't participate, but I worked at another vet clinic at the time that did. I think they did it twice come to think of it; just to help out anyone in the area.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
All my pets are licensed and microchipped except for little Audrey because she has to be 18 weeks first.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have mine certified with rabies and such but I don't believe it's required here in the county to register, at least everyone I've spoke with says it's not.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
All of mine are up to date on shots and licensed.

It is a law here. If you have an unlicensed dog in my county, you can be fined $250.

It costs $25 annually to register an intact dog and $5 annually to register an altered dog.

Only benefit to registering is a. not getting fined- which happens often, and b. you get a $40 rebate when you get your pup fixed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts