Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that my boss's daughter and husband are getting their children a chihuahua puppy for Christmas.

These kids are twin boys age 5 or 6 and a baby, not quite 1yo. Now, what about a chihuahua makes one think, "Hey this is a great pet for my loud, rambunctious children!"?

These people have had several dogs in the few years I've known them. They get tired of them and give them away or take them to the pound. Their last dog, some mixed breed, had a habit of jumping on the beds and peeing, and would also dash out the door whenever it was opened and run away for them to chase down. So, instead of trying harder or trying better methods to house train the dog, they took the dog to the pound and didn't even tell the kids.

The dad is on disability and abuses his pain pills and can't even take care of the baby while the mom works and the kids are hell on wheels at best.

And they don't have any money, so I'm sure they are probably getting this puppy from a byb, and I wouldn't doubt if it's 6 weeks old as I often see people trying to sell around here. And who knows if they'll get its vaccinations and stuff.

ARRGGHHH!! I just want to scream and yank a knot in their tails!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I know it is frustrating :-( Hopefully nothing will happen to the poor baby and maybe if they decide to rehome it you could intervene and have a new puppy?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it is frustrating :-( Hopefully nothing will happen to the poor baby and maybe if they decide to rehome it you could intervene and have a new puppy?
Oh, my. We just got a Golden Retriever puppy, which makes dog #5 for us, so I think we are at our limit, but I never have been able to turn away a needy face... (hence the 5 dogs, 2 cats and 5 bearded dragons, lol).

·
Registered
280 Posts
Awww I hate hearing those kinds of things, I mean if they had done some research they would see that chihuahua's aren't good dogs to have with children, there to small and dainty the children could hurt them easily when trying to play, hopefully they stick at it with there chihuahua and don't get bored and give it to the shelter! I hope their other dog found a good new home!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I see a ton of people that have dogs and should not! The people that live one street over had a dog die last Friday and the grandfather was yelling at his grandson (17) that maybe if he fed them once in a while they wouldn't die. Then they had a yelling match, both saying they weren't going to take care of the carcass. I called animal control and got the answering machine each time I would call. I keep ;leaving messages and no one calls back or responds............ UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

In your case, I would mention to your Boss how much harder Chi's are to train, how hard headed they can be, and how much attention and care they can need...... Then let her know that if they decide later that a small dog isn't their thing, that you'd be happy to take it off their hands.!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
my neighbour does the same thing! all we can do is shake our heads and hope they rehome them to good homes I will say tho she actually took the time and effort to train her chi she even paid to get him neutered instead of gettign rid of him but so far she's gotten rid of 3 dogs since living there a cat and a bunch of birds, rabbits, ferrets and other small animals.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
oh ya I should add I had to go for a walk to the park with her teenage daughter and give her tips on training the chi so they didnt get rid of it that was a couple years ago and they still have him.,.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Oh how frustrating. My Uncle does the same with my cousin, he gets him dogs then when they are about 9 months old he brings them to us (my dad owns a Vet clinic) for adoption. We've adopted out an English Bulldog (he paid over $2000.00 for) Beagle, Chihuahua, Miniature Pinscher (my Ziva), and currently have a Shih Tzu & a Puggle, he now has an "Old English Bulldog because they are supposed to be better with the outdoor weather extremes than a regular bulldog. It makes me cringe. But at least we are able to find them good homes....eventually, most of them have been outdoor dogs, so they aren't exactly house trained & most have been destructive little stinker pots.....so they aren't exactly the easiest to adopt out. Sad thing is my cousin is in his 20's but suffers from mental issues (OCD, Social Anxiety etc). Just makes me so mad & angry. My Uncle usually buys the dogs from the petstore, except for the 1st bulldog.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I truly will never understand why people have pets if all they are going to do is get rid of them? How can you possible love an animal and then just ditch it? Those people make me sick! So ignorant! We have family that does this too and it just pisses the crap out of me....this is another subject I get heated on! People know the responsibility a pet brings if they can't handle it then they don't need one. Simple as that. :foxes15:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
A girl I work with got a puppy for her birthday from her bf, that neither one of them takes care of. I will say he's very well trained and responds to many commands, but he stays at the moms house because they live in an apartment - I mean just what kind of life is that for your dog?

And on that note, THREE other people I work with got dogs for Christmas. If you don't have a stable home, don't bring a dog into it for crying out loud, I know puppies are adorable but they get very big and very destructive. I anticipate at least 2 of them ending in failure :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Guess where my Fifi came from? A family with a five-year old and a baby gave her to me when they couldn't handle her anymore. They bought her as a pup from a byb when their daughter was 2. They didn't want to keep Fifi because she was "too rambunctious"; they couldn't give her the attention she needs because they were too busy with the young children, and they told me she was having "accidents" all over the house. I have had very few problems with Fifi since I've had her, but then again, I have no small children, and I can spend time with her and take her out when she needs to go.

I also have three cats (adopted from shelters) and a retired racing Greyhound, so I have a lot of experience taking in "unwanted" pets! Fifi loves playing chase games with the cats to release all that energy, and going for walks with the dog (he's too big and sleeps too much to be of interest as a playmate).

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
unfortunatly there are people like that, wish they would give some serious thought to what they are taking on. Tulula was brought for my daughter's eigth birthday but i knew it would be me that does all taking care and feeding. Jess does take good care of her and walks her, but if i wasn,t prepared to step in then we wouldn,t have got her. but she is the best thing we got, wouldn't be without her.

·
Registered
447 Posts
How sad!! I hate when ppl do that!! I know so many ppl that buy their bratty kids a pet for Christmas and it just makes me sick everytime!! I used to work for greyhound rescue and after Nov. they held off on adoptions til after the holidays....they would not adopt out a dog for a Christmas gift...I loved that policy!!! When ppl buy animals for gifts you are asking for trouble. I pray everything goes ok and the puppy isn't mistreated or mishandled by the kids. I really don't like my dogs being around kids...they are too rough and just irritate the dogs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is frustrating to see that. Being a rescuer, I've seen it way too many times. Constantly out with the old, in with the new. What does this teach the kids??? I never want my child thinking that just because a dog does something wrong, or gets sick, or gets old, or anything dumb for that matter, get rid of them. You take them in, you take on the responsibility for life and you treat them with kindness, love, and respect. I really hope my daughter follows in my footsteps with rescue work. She's already a big help now.

Awww I hate hearing those kinds of things, I mean if they had done some research they would see that chihuahua's aren't good dogs to have with children, there to small and dainty the children could hurt them easily when trying to play, hopefully they stick at it with there chihuahua and don't get bored and give it to the shelter! I hope their other dog found a good new home!
Generally, I agree that Chihuahuas aren't good in families with small children; however, I don't agree that every family should be deprived of the love of a Chihuahua just because they have a child. BTW, MyLittleCici, your comment just reminded me of this, so don't think I'm bashing your comment. :) I see this time and time again with some rescues and it infuriates me. I have a 4yr old and 3 Chihuahuas right now, with 2 more Chihuahuas coming into rescue after Christmas. Even though I have a child, I have worked with her from the time she was old enough to touch a dog. I want her to love and respect them. She has been taught to be calm around them and to always check before she sits down (since they like to burrow under the blankets). She does not bother them when they are eating, drinking, or sleeping. She doesn't pick them up. If she's running and playing outside, they aren't out there with her. I know that people in general do not go to the extremes that I do, but my point is that there are some parents out there willing to do whatever it takes. I absolutely despise seeing people wanting small dogs for their children or getting a puppy for their child for Christmas. Nine times out of ten, it doesn't work out and the dog gets dumped and suffers for the people's stupidity or negligence. I've never agreed with Christmas adoptions. I always stopped before Thanksgiving and didn't start up again until after the new year. I would make an exception if it was an adoption to someone I know personally and I know they don't have celebrations going on at their home, but, in most cases, the holidays are a busy time for people. Moving is stressful enough on dogs. They don't need the additional stress of the holidays too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts