Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so first off let me begin this by saying that Arwen is 10 months old and in her first heat cycle. (please don't waste your breath lecturing me on how i should have her fixed, i will do it when and IF, I decide to) Any way, she's been acting completely fine, her normal and loving self until yesterday when i took her to the vet to have her teeth examined- her adult teeth are coming in before her baby teeth have fallen out, forming a double layer) when the vet realized that somehow or another the paper work had been messed up on arwen, and her distemper shots not given at the right intervals, so now Arwen has to have the whole series over again. This makes me FURIOUS, as shes had bad reactions to meds before, and I hate the idea of her having to get vaccinated twice, but we went ahead and got her the first in the series again, and last night she got pretty sick. She was lethargic, and trying to hide from me. Which she never does, I'm her mommy and shes my constant shadow. Now today she seems to be feeling better, but shes only interested in our fixed male dog... she seems to want nothing to do with me. and she keeps wandering off on her own, which she has never done before. Even now, shes sleeping on a couch across the room, and not in my lap. I'm wondering if this is from the injections, or just being in heat. OH! and she has yelped once last night when we went to pick her up, and once earlier...i'm assuming due to injections. Should i be worried?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Chihuahuas are notorious for having bad teeth and this can be common.

As for the shots, I am confused? The distemper shot is usually in a combination of shots, so are you saying that she didnt get any of her vaccines? or do you have the combo's broken up and given separately? If you are talking about the vaccines, I am not sure how you could not know whether they had been given or not?

The vaccination site could definitely be sore. As for acting strange I guess it could be from the shot but could also be for being in heat (I know nothing at all about the heat stages as I have boys) Vaccinations can change a dog though. It also could be that she is upset with you right now because she had to have the shot?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's going to have to get the baby teeth pulled and spayed at the same time, so that she only goes under once. they're scheduling the surgery for next month. I'm just terrified to have her be put under, i don't know what i'd do if she didn't come out of it. she was given all three of her puppy series, the first she got from the breeder, the second she got from a local vet clinic, then the third from the vet we have now. (it took us a bit to find the one we liked) because she was so small, the vets opted to break up the series and only give her one at a time, to lessen the chance of a bad reaction. well i guess the way the spaced the distemper was wrong, and not given in a short enough amount of time to have it cause the correct immune response. So now she has to receive twp of that particular vaccine again. I was mad, because i trusted the vet the correctly space out the injections, which obviously didn't happen. She has a history of having a averse vaccine reaction, so they give her benadryl shots to lessen the chances of her getting sick. it's intermuscular...so maybe that was the soreness

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
What age was her last shot given at? I highly doubt she needs any more and if she had reactions, would absolutely NOT give anymore...unless you want a dead chihuahua or one with problems, that is.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
After my ninja had her first and second shots she yelped when i tryed to pick her up. Try when you pick her up not to touch the back of her neak as it still will hert a little. Us girls can be funny just like us humans sometimes dogs just want to be alone for abit hope she is ok and gets over her little sissy fit. bless
PS as for having her done i hate the fact that every time you go to vets or speak to somebody they have to say have her done. at the end of the day you can get her done throught any point in her life you havent got to do it right now and you might not want to, so dont blame you at all. im the same

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol thank-you, i just get so sick of people acting like i don't love my dog because i haven't gotten her fixed yet, truthfully i'm scared of what they don't tell you, for instance getting fixed increases their chances of bone cancer, obesity and diabetes. Plus... truth be told i'm just scared that maybe she wouldn't make it out of the surgery. Now that her teeth are getting done, i'm going to go ahead and do it, but if not for that, then i probably wouldn't have... it has nothing to do with breeding her. Just wanting to keep her safe and not put her through any unnecessary pain

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its finally letting me post replys, so if two come up for this, than i'm sorry lol. She got all three of her puppy series but they broke up the series because of her size, she got it one shot at a time- but they spaced the distemper too far apart to cause the correct immune response, so they said she has to have them done again. I'm not pleased with the vet at all, as i trusted them to not make a stupid mistake like this, but i suppose its also my fault for not being educated as to the proper spacings (i wont make that mistake again) but luckily arwens back to her normal self this morning... Thank goodness!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The vet is wrong, tho -- only ONE vaccine provides immunity, the rest you're just rolling the dice hoping you can catch it as early as possible. If her last shots were any time after 12-14 weeks then I would say no more. Vaccines cause a lot of problems, especially in the smaller breeds. She's probably already immune -- it has nothing to do with spacing or timing or building on previous shots...ONE vaccine gives immunity, and any before and any after are just empty poisons being dumped into your baby that can cause cancer or a variety of symptoms associated with vaccinosis.

For instance, if you gave a pup a single vaccination at 20 weeks, you could be relatively certain the pup was covered for LIFE. No "series" needed. Your vet sounds like they need to update their vaccine knowledge, or, they enjoy lining their own pockets (likely).

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
keep us updated as i really would like to know how your baby gets on. I fell the same just dont want her to go in and not come out.
But im sure your baby will be fine xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea it terrifies me, even with the benadryl her reactions seem to vary, but the vet said she couldn't move forward with the dental procedure and spay before she had the correct immunizations. It gets me so mad! i have to get her teeth done... which is going to be around 500 dollars, (even though she has a wellness plan) ,or her adult teeth simply wont sit in right. but its all frozen until these shots are done, and after last night i want to tell the vet to shove off.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sounds like your vet was being greedy and wanting to line his pockets with vaccine fees. It's likely your dog already had lifetime immunity. There is no such thing as a "booster". Either the immune response happens or it doesn't. Maternal antibodies can interfere, but other than that - if your dog has had ONE vaccine after about 14 weeks - they are protected for life. Of course vets don't want to admit that because a great deal of their income comes from the yearly shots they advocate and then they can charge you for a physical as well.

If she were mine, I would have had a TITER drawn to check for antibodies. That would have told you for sure if she was protected against parvo/distemper or not. Flooding a tiny dog with vaccines is foolhardy and unnecessary. I'm sorry your vet talked you into that.

Here's some info on vaccines and duration of immunity if you are interested in learning about it ...

Duration of Immunity
Science of Vaccine Damage
Are We Over Vaccinating Our Pets? by Loretta Baughan
Are our pets being over-vaccinated?
Schultz: Dog vaccines may not be necessary (March 14, 2003)
Shots in the dark
PET VACCINATION  An Institutionalised Crime by Catherine O'Driscoll

And yes, her lethargy could be a result of the vaccinations, or it could be her hormones from her heat cycle.

As for spaying her, do what you think is right. Do some reading/research, especially on pyometra. Then weigh the risks and benefits and make up your own mind on what is best.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you so much for the information, i'm reading it all now. But how do i convince them to do her teeth, while telling them that i DO NOT want the additional distempers given?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
thank you so much for the information, i'm reading it all now. But how do i convince them to do her teeth, while telling them that i DO NOT want the additional distempers given?
I would ask them if they would accept a parvo/distemper titer as proof of immunity. If not, then I'd find another vet to do the dental. And when you go in for a consultation, just tell them that your dog is 'up to date' on all vaccines.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea, i'm regretting it now. I think im going to transfer back to her previous vet, i just thought the plan would work for her first year, as the injections were covered... i really wasnt planning on having to have the teeth extractions done.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I hate that banfield plan -- it screws soooo many people over and doesn't end up covering that much. You might be better off w/ your old vet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having a bit of the same problems. I can't even find a vet that only does a distemper shot it's all combo's. My chi had a terrible reaction. Pain on the whole side of her body and vomiting all evening.
You should look around for another vet. Not doing the teeth just because of the vaccine mess up has nothing to do with the other and she or he is being greedy. She just wants to make sure you come back. Pooh on her.
I'm new so all my posts are being held so sorry if this one seems out of sequence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts