Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
They also say no garlic for dogs.

I have read this before, I think it goes along with the line
of thinking that pet food companies know best.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Maybe since there are is the rescue field, they see a lot of people just throwing their pets random food and they see the raw diet given wrong. If its not balanced it can be harmful since they will lack nutrients.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
More fear mongering.

However, I do agree with Audreybabypup in that some people do not research what they are feeding and just throw their dog chicken meat repeatedly and that is NOT balanced. I have said it before, but it's worth repeating... if a person wants to feed raw, they must do their research and do it right. Otherwise it can be worse than the worst walmart kibble. I think this is what vets are afraid of.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can dogs get salmonella poisoning? That's the only thing the link at ASPCA said about the chicken.
Along the same lines... do you worry about the salmonella from handling raw chicken? I always clean the scale and counter with bleach wipes but wondered what the rest of you do.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Can dogs get salmonella poisoning? That's the only thing the link at ASPCA said about the chicken.
Along the same lines... do you worry about the salmonella from handling raw chicken? I always clean the scale and counter with bleach wipes but wondered what the rest of you do.
I don't worry about salmonella. I take the usual precautions but I don't go overboard with cleaning/sanitizing. If I had someone living here with a depressed immune system, such as from chemo or an organ transplant, then I might be a little more careful.

As for dogs getting salmonella from raw chicken. Yeah, I guess its possible. But look at the big picture. How many recalls were for salmonella that was present in KIBBLE? A TON. There have been recalls after recalls for salmonella contamination in kibble. I would be more worried about a person thoroughly washing their hands after handling kibble than I would be about raw meat. Seriously.

I think you have to keep everything in perspective regarding bacteria and people/pets. Dogs lick their butts. They walk around outside with no shoes and then come in and walk all over our floors and sit on our couches. ;) They eat things off the ground/floor. Some dogs eat poop on a regular basis. (doggy kisses anyone?) :rolleyes:

Some of the most recent recalls for salmonella have been for spinach and peanut butter. Like I said, it's a pathogen that is present in the environment. To healthy people and dogs, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paco is loving it! I just worry that I am doing what is best for him. It seems that there are a lot of people who oppose the idea but I felt I was getting advice and info from people who knew small dogs and raw foods and had experience with it.

I appreciate you being so patient with me and my questions.

How long has Brody been on raw diet? He is so beautiful!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Paco is loving it! I just worry that I am doing what is best for him. It seems that there are a lot of people who oppose the idea but I felt I was getting advice and info from people who knew small dogs and raw foods and had experience with it.

I appreciate you being so patient with me and my questions.

How long has Brody been on raw diet? He is so beautiful!
I understand. That's why I encourage people to do their own research and not take one persons or one sites advice. On the internet, you can find any views you want on any subject. One person says its the best thing ever, the next person says it's horrible. Such is the internet. ;)

For me feeding raw just made sense. I look at it like breast feeding babies. We all KNOW that natures way is best. Breast feeding babies is natural and the absolute most perfect food for them. But do babies do OK on formula? Of course they do. Same with diet for our dogs. Many kibble fed dogs will live long and healthy lives. You have to do what is right for your situation.

Brody is 3 1/2 and has been on raw since he was 4 months old. :)

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Can someone help me with this question? The talk is always kibble and salmonella or raw and salmonella. What about canned food? I decided on only feeding Lulu canned food with pig ears and such for tooth and gum strength, and teeth brushing for cleaning although I am watching her teeth and not seeing a problem and no breath odor. Anyway, getting off the point. Is any one aware of a problem with salmonella and canned food?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Thank you , Karen, I knew about the treat recalls--would you worry that if they had a problem with treats they could have a problem with cans? Or if they had a recall you wouldn't use them? I had decided to switch after I read the thread about a thread on another site from 2007 on the rendering plant on the same property as the plant where they make their food, but I fed Lulu canned Wellness for her evening meal around 6:30 PM last night as usual and she ate it very well--still walked away and left some in bowl so I know she was full. She woke me up around 3 AM STARVING. She hasn't done that since I fed her homemade--never does that on Merrick. I had decided this morning to trust the 4 dog food websites I have consulted including dog food advisor that Merrick is a good dog food and continue it. Now I dont know. ARRRGGHHH!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts