Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I wouldn't submerge them until the wound is healed, but you should keep it clean of course.

Also they sell pet wipes at Petsmart made by Pethead, they smell great and are awesome for in between baths.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You will want to give your Girl's stiches time to heal, whether they are external or internal stiches. Your vet will probably give you a page of after care for the girls after the spay. You and the girls will be in my thoughts tomorrow. That video was so adorable. It brought back many memories.:)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
Their appointments are next Friday morning. I was planning to bathe them tomorrow afternoon (it will be warmer here then) but figured if I did I'd find out (right after they were dry-that is my luck anyway!) that they should not have their own bacteria washed away, the soap could irritate, etc.

Just wanted to be safe and check my logic that this should be okay. Will cleanse as the clinic suggests afterward but I figured a good all over wash before would be wise.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My vet is super hands-off as far as instruction goes (it works for me, but I can see why some people panic when they see him)

For example, I told him one time Gretels ears smelled bad but I could see anything and he literally shrugged at me and said well, she's a dog.

I laugh all the time thinking about that now, but I guess so many people make mountains out of molehills trying to find problems so he's just hands off.

That said, when I left he just said: call if it changes, don't let her lick, see you in 10 days.

And both of mine healed 100% with no scarring, we didn't do head cones either so i'm no help with that.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My vet is very laid back. My husband is and I am SO NOT.

They do not do cones, either. I asked. It was one of 35 questions (not really) that I asked. I worry about them licking or picking at each other more than themselves.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I did it the day or two before the spay for Oakley, same w/ Triggy's neuter. Also trimmed nails, cleaned ears etc :) That way they got to have a nice stress free recovery, as they hate all those things!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When Tango and Jazz were fixed, and again when they got their dentals, a day before the procedures, I gave them baths, cleaned their ears, trimmed their nails, brushed their teeth, and made sure the bedding, their snuggle blanket and the toy in their carriers were all fresh and clean.

I also replaced their beds and snuggle blankets on the couch and in the various rooms and in their crates with fresh, so everything they would come in contact with was clean.

Trust me when I say I'm anal. :sign5:

But no, to answer your question, there is NO reason that you shouldn't bathe them. It's not going to do any harm. And my rationale is that, particularly with the surgery, they are going to have incisions, which are pathways to infection, so I want to make sure EVERYTHING they come in contact with is as clean as possible to minimize the chance of there being any infection issues.

Like I said, I know I'm anal. There's no need to go to the lengths I did, but there's also no reason not to give them a bath.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I had to use a cone with both of my girls, after the spay. They actually took some stitches out! I'm glad that's all over with. Also Emmy really gave her incisions on her knees really irritated, and we had to put a cone type collar on. Sue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts