Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Peppy got out again! Apparently some girl bought him back( I was at work) so that makes me think he has wandered which is bad.

I know everyone has offered me great advice but nothing is working! He gets walked frequently, he has another dog to play with, heaps of toys, I spend lots of time with him! What more am I meant to do? I just am at my wits end :cry:

I buried BRICKS in his favourite places to dig. So what does he do? Digs NEXT to them! We cant afford expenive stuff like electric fences! And he cannot come inside. I know people probably look down on me for this but its just out of my hands!

:sad11: I am so frustrated! Everyone must think Im the worst owner in the world!! I wish he could talk and just tell me why he gets out so I can fix it!

I can see this ending in 3 ways and none of them good
1. He gets out and wanders and doesnt come back
2. He gets out and gets hit by a car
3. We have to give him away!

AHHH I just dont know what to do anymore! I am at my wits end

Thanks for letting me vent :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having problems like this, have you tried putting a brick border around the whole yard? My Mom's German Shorthair has a fenced in area inside of out fenced yard, it also goes into part of the garage so he can get out of the sun/elements, he's just out there during the day when everyone is gone but maybe a double fence might help. I hope you can work everything up...None of those scenarios sound good :(

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I know this is kind of ridiculous, but how about paving your yard, or at least the perimeter? Or how about burying a portion of fenction underground.

Can you explain why he can't be inside? Maybe we can help that situation more than the current one. There are few reasons I can think of where the dog can't be inside (unless you have someone in your house who absolutely insists he can't). If this is the case, perhaps (sadly) he does need a home where he can be safe, and spend time indoors with his owner.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
all i can think of is to build an outdoor kennel. the picture i included isn't exaclty what i had in mind for him, he'll need a top and concrete floor since he is an escape artist. also put a little dog house inside of it. and let him out of it and play with him whenever your there so he isn't confined all the time...it should be made as large as possible so he has plaenty of riim.they can be made cheaper than buying them. and worth the money if you want to keep your pet alive or even keep your pet. your lucky no one has reported him to animal control, youd be faced with fines and even the risk of having him taken away. i don't mean to be harsh but this can be serious. and chaining him in the yard is just disaster waiting to happen, please don't even consider doing that.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Well All I can advise is that if he has to be outside, getting a one of those lines he can be chained to but still have the freedom of running back and forth. I hate the idea of him being chained up, but if it is going to save him from a young death by getting hit by a car I would do that :?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
KJsChihuahuas said:
Well All I can advise is that if he has to be outside, getting a one of those lines he can be chained to but still have the freedom of running back and forth. I hate the idea of him being chained up, but if it is going to save him from a young death by getting hit by a car I would do that :?
those lines are good as long as they can be watched while they are hooked up, i've seen a few dogs end up strangling themselves even on them while they were left unattended so it is still risky.... especially that he's a small dog.. maybe a "zip line" type thing attached to a harness would be better though?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Can you explain why he can't be inside? Maybe we can help that situation more than the current one. There are few reasons I can think of where the dog can't be inside (unless you have someone in your house who absolutely insists he can't). If this is the case, perhaps (sadly) he does need a home where he can be safe, and spend time indoors with his owner.
Her mum wont let him in the house, she has no say over it!

Cass I mentioned a zip line before why dont u try that and the outside kennel sounds good if mum will let u.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
If you can't build him a safe kennel, maybe you should consider doing the kindest act and look into re-homing Peppy. I know you must realize this, but chi's need human companionship and maybe Peppy is very lonely and desperate to find some.....This is not a accusation about your care of Peppy....I'm just concerned he is going to be injured or worse, on one of his escapes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's unfair to keep him if he has to be outside all the time; chihuahuas are indoor dogs. Considering that he continously escapes youre taking a chance everyday that he won't get stolen or hit by a car.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
nabi said:
If you can't build him a safe kennel, maybe you should consider doing the kindest act and look into re-homing Peppy. I know you must realize this, but chi's need human companionship and maybe Peppy is very lonely and desperate to find some.....This is not a accusation about your care of Peppy....I'm just concerned he is going to be injured or worse, on one of his escapes.
I feel exactly the same way. Something terrible and heartbreaking is bound to happen one of these days. A chi just isn't the right breed of dog for you, given your present situation. I feel very bad for you but also for Peppy. :cry:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
If your mom won't change her mind and allow you to have him inside at least part of the time, perhaps it would be best for him if he were rehomed. I know this is a difficult decision, but I know you love him and wouldn't want anything bad to happen to him. There are just so many dangers for a small dog roaming loose, not to mention that someone could very well stop and pick him up.

This is in no way a reflection on your love of or care of your furbaby. There are circumstances that are just beyond your control right now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i'm sorry to say this but i agree that chis need their people and need to be inside. they are small , kinda fragile dogs and outside can be harsh on them even on days we think of as "nice". re-homing him may just be the kindest, most loving thing you can do for him :(

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know you must realize this, but chi's need human companionship and maybe Peppy is very lonely and desperate to find some.
He is in no way starved of human companionship. I spend time with him constantly and we have quality time together when we go for our walks. And believe me he is inside everytime my mum is out.

I know everyone is screaming 'Re-home' but there is a reason I dont want to do that besides the fact that I love him etc. The reason is Peppy has a problem! He is an escape artist and this is more then likely the reason he was in the pound in the first place. I dont want to just re-home him and have someone else give up on him. Of course I would make sure he went to a good home where they owner knew of and was willing to work with his problem but I cant be 100% sure they would keep there word.

I will be talking to my mum to try convince her (you dont know my mum!) about the enclosure and try find somewhere in the yard it could go.

What are zip lines? and what circumstances does it need? ie yard wise. We have a sorta 'L' shaped yard with a fair few trees and garden beds.

Ill be dipping into what little savings I have to take him to the animal behaviouralist, whom I will be ringing tomorrow. Im hoping it will only take one or two lessons to help him otherwise he will more then likely get re-homed. the sessions arent cheap and Im just a uni student on a minimum income.
[/b]

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Well Let me point out that the out door kennel is a great idea, however if he is a digger then it wont work, he will just dig his way under it :? You will need to place it on a cement slab, if you don't have a cement part to put it on then you are going to have to lay a cement slab, and if you cannot do that then its not going to work :wink:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
KJsChihuahuas said:
Well Let me point out that the out door kennel is a great idea, however if he is a digger then it wont work, he will just dig his way under it :? You will need to place it on a cement slab, if you don't have a cement part to put it on then you are going to have to lay a cement slab, and if you cannot do that then its not going to work :wink:

yep, i looked for one that i had a vision of, chain link top, concrete floor ext but that is the only picture i could find :( it gets a little pricey but when you weigh the pro's and cons, it pays for itself...

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I really really feel for you , but how come you had a chi ? they are not outdoor dogs or are you only with your mom for as short period ? lol sorry I dont know your circumstances but I will be thinking of you :wave:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts