Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out by saying I am a first time CHI owner and I'm not sure if any of this is NORMAL chi behavior so PLEASE tell me that i'm over reacting if its nothing and just a puppy stage; something she'll grow out of.

~ Alright, Maybe Gypsy does have seperation anxiety. I'm not sure though. Here is her deal. if I am not in the room with her, she freaks out. litteraly screaming as much as a puppy is able to scream. @ 8 weeks; and only having her home 5 days she already knows who we all are. I leave her home everyday with my mom and my mom reports back to me on how she does. She just does not want to be anywhere alone, she screams when she can't see my mom if i'm not there but when I get home she goes right back to normal and plays and jumps and ignores us (to an extent) and just does her own thing. why does she get so worked up about me leaving? and being gone?

- What would help cure her `obsessiveness`. She whines and cries when we get up in the morning and I start getting ready to go, and then for an hour plus+ while i'm gone, as well as feeling the need to STAY in my moms lap the WHOLE time I'm gone.

~ Secondly, she gets kind of agressive when we play. Especially when we play with our hands. she tries and often time succeds when getting at our hands, she mainly grabs at the skin inbetween your thumb and pointer and jerks at it and shakes her head roughly. i move my hand away, and say no, but it doesn't seem very effective. she just goes right back for them, and let me say she is not kind about it. :x

- I guess I don't know how to say NO right. I say it loud and firmly, but she just seems to not care(she is only 8 weeks not sure if this plays a part)I try to give her toys and often times shes interested but some times she just wants to jump on us or play with us.

She is really the sweetest thing ever, and is potty training VERY well for 8 weeks. but ANY chi advice ~do's and dont's would be GREATLY apreciated.

you guys are GREAT and i really look up to you all and your chihuahua knowlege, thanks for everything

-Sarah. :D

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
So far everything is very normal. The crying when you leave her will get better eventually as she becomes sure you are coming back. Chi's don't like being separated from their chosen person at all.

The biting thing is also normal and it's something nearly all of us have had to break our chi's from doing. One thing you can try is telling her no and immediately putting her down on the floor and ignoring her for a while every time she bites. With many chi's that works. It didn't work with Marcus and when he hadn't gotten any better by 10 weeks (I brought him home at 8 weeks) I told him No firmly and spatted him with an empty envelope. It certainly didn't hurt him but it scared and surprised him and made him think.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Something that has really worked for me, and is recommended by trainers, to stop the puppy biting is to "yelp" when they do it. It isn't really a hard thing to do because it usually hurts anyway. When she bites let out a really loud high pitched yelp. It will startle her and also let her know in her language that it hurts because she is trying to play not hurt you. My trainer friend yelped once when Charlie bit him (so loud it startled me), he also crossed his arms and looked away. Charlie didn't bite him again for the rest of the night (which was amazing for Charlie at that age). I used it too, and within a week he had almost completely quit biting people (my roommates also did it so we were consistant). There are so many things that are going to be "NO" in their lives, this is a way to tell them clearly that what they're doing isn't ok without using "NO".
Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Also, one of the books I read said if you pull you hand away without the yelp they may think it's a game and keep going after it. It sounds like this is happening with your little one.

All of her behaviors sound like normal puppy stuff so I'm sure everything will work out great...enjoy it, adolesence is a whole new challenge :lol:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have found when Gadget bites on me i give him a "Chew is Bad" and he will stop.. If he keeps tring to chew on me he is using telling me that he wants his blanket... So I will give it to him...

We go through this little chew on mommy every night when we go in the bedroom for tv time... he will snuggle with Mark for awhile and then jump over on me and he will start chewing and doing his litttle play with me mommy bark.. (That is too cute) but the biting on the chin is too much.... I have dried the "NO" and the YELP but they didn't work.. so I started saying "Chew Bad" and it seems to work... if he keeps doing it I have figured out that he is wanting his blanket to suck on.... yes he sucks on his blankets like they are his mom... it is really cute... we think he does it because he didin't get all that much time with mom since we brought him home at 3 weeks...

good luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts