Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all .. i know i sounded drastic in my subject line but i really had a rough day with my almost 4 month old male chi. my problems (like everyone else's) is potty training and leash training.

I always dreamed of having a walking buddy out of this pup. I see absolutely no movement in that direction. When i have him on the leash either he will want to sniff and check out things and absolutely do his own thing.. not really wanting to walk with me but investigating every thing on the road or in the grass. I know he is a dog and he is curious and has a great sense of smell. My husband advises me this evening to keep that leash short and next to me and use a stern tone of voice. Treats are becoming useless in this attempt as well. Then sometimes he sits down and doesn't want to move an inch for no good reason. i try to drag him sometimes to keep up with me.. i feel so mean then that i give up and carry him the little distance back home.

Now housetraining: We have a pee pad in his crate from breeder recommendations. We have been trying to get him outside very often to have plenty of opportunity to go outside and not in his crate (tried pee pads in the house with failure.. gave that time with all tricks out there on that).. he does go "usually" outside and the pee pad in the crate is used not near as much as when he was younger.
now we have to get to the point where he will go to the door or let us know he needs to go out. And i'd like to get to the point where i make his crate smaller,take out the pee pad, just have the bed and a small amount of water/food at night and have him rely on relieving himself outside. (pure crate training)

i realize he is young.. not sure if i'm ahead of myself... but i know he is smart and teachable.. i think just very stubborn and independent.... does anybody have any advice for me at all? i am in tears today. i lost patience with him little bit ago and put him in his crate and put the quilt over it and night night for him. help! :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
As for walking.... I never took him out the first 4 weeks I got my pup... I just walk and try to get him to walk with me in the house... he never ever did... I kept at it... eventually he walked for a itsy bit.. and stopped...

But once we stepped out the house to do real walking.... he was a pro... at first walks/sniff/walks/sniff... Take him to a place where lots of dogs walk... Maybe that will be a good example and he will start? How long have you been at it?

Once my dog hit 4.5 months he started walking with me outside... I know how frustrating potty/leash training can be... keep at it ... you will be rewarded at the end... :) Chester still sniffs sometimes but sometimes I don't let him I say Chester lets go! and he goes...

Best of luck dunt know if my advice helped at all.. after all I am still new to my doggy but had much success.... but today Chester forgot where his potty was and did it on the ground! BAD DOG! lol

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
potty training is a long process and must be kept up with some take longer than other but sounds like you both are doing fine and have a pace at it.

leash training I haven't had much problem with I for one us a a harness it controls them better, calling and correcting if staying longer periods of time in one spot. I didn't take mine on a long walk till they were about 6 months old, maybe try smaller walks and work up to a longer walk? he will in time love to go for walks and keep up. what might help for walks is training him to listen to you, look at you for the command.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good luck! I dont have potty training issues but I'll be lurking this thread on tips for leash training.

I have the same problem with my 5.5 month old not moving an inch with a leash on. She will walk tentatively with it attached & dragging, but heaven forbid I pick it up!

She refuses to take treats as well, and even my other two are no inspiration to her!

bump, bump! xx

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
You have to remember wearing a harness/collar/lead is foreign to a dog they have to get use to it.

I honestley thought Daisy would never walk.. it did my head in i tried everything.. Anyway we signed up for puppy obedience classes she started at 14 weeks and she's a total pro now walks on a loose lead really lovely. She is just shy of 6 months old now. It takes time and they are only small and won't walk for long periods at this age, its not good for their joints and if they're tired they will not move at all!!

I personally don't like short leashes it creates a lot of tension on the collar/harness and the dog will automatically put its breaks on because its so tense.. Find a very very high quality treat and only use it for walking... something new they haven't had before (liver works very very well). Start practicing in side the house.. and encourage him with the treat and a really really high squeeky voice to get him in the right position (next to you and not infront) as soon as he's there give the treat and say GOOD BOY (again in high squeeky voice) then start to walk.. hold another treat in the position to encourage him and just excite him with your voice so he knows what he's doing right.. everytime he's in position and moving give him a treat.. it takes time but this works so so well... it won't be long til he realises thats where he stands and thats where he gets his treat!!

Then you start using less treats and just good boy but alway sin a squeeky voice. I use to do this when walking from the car to my daughters school the other parents thoguht i was mad but now they see Daisy trotting lovely next to me and not pulling.

Once he's got the hang of it he'll be fine.. he will sniff for a bit they are dogs.. dogs sniff everything.. Takes Daisy a good 5 minutes of walking to get past the sniffy stage and then her ears go back and her head is held high and she trots so happily.. if she gets distracted i can just call her or give a gentle tug to snap her out on it.

I would recommend walking her on a harness.

With potty training i'm not a fan of pee pad training but i know it works for a lot of people. I don't think i'd use both though as that can be confusing for the dog.. i'd take the pee pad out his crate.. make it small enough for him just to turn around (i had cushions, shoe boxes everything lol) in and keep on top of it.. He should be able to hold his bladder for a bit now as he's not a baby baby and just keep doing what you're doing. If he's standing by the back door he knows where to go so don't use the pee pad at all. You could put the pad in the garden so he realises its there too and then take it away after the first few times.

Its frustrating but try not to lose your patience with him they pick up on everything and after 10 seconds he'll have no clue why you're angry with him.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I had to laugh aas I had a simialr thing with Jake, he never sat down but he did try to just wander off whereever he choose.

Got a couple of suggestions which can be done in the house first on a leash or out on your patio / garden.

When you go for the first walk on a morning don't feed her first, instead find something that is extremely delicous like chicken or beef.. when you go to walk forward and she sits down, offer her some treat and only give it to her when she makes an effort to come to you.

Also try this, ask her to wait beside you, show her the treat next to her nose so she gets a good whiff of it, then as she goes to take it walk on and let her follow the treat for a few strides. then offer it to her.

These two simple games made a huge difference with Jake as he too would just do as he wanted.

Also when she sits down don't pick her up, if you keep the walks short there is no need to do this. Picking her up will only teach her sitting down gets a positive result.

I started asking Jake every half hour to an hour "Do you want to go out" then I would call him and take him outside to the garden, I owuld make my vouice sound exciting and when outside if he did do something I immediately told him what a good boy he was.

It wasn't instant but over time I started to recoginise when Jake wanted to go out, he never went to the door instead he would come to me a little restless and so I would ask "Do you want to go out" he then from there would jump down and run to the door checking ot see if I was following.

Mind sometimes I would ask adn he'd lie down and hide his face as though to say "no" lol, that was so cute..

Hope that helps

Deme x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all !

Thank you everyone who gave me some really helpful tips! I am going to try lots of these and it sure helps to know that i am not alone and that it does take time, persistance and a lot of work to get a nice trained dog in the end! Any other tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated! thank you so much for taking the time to answer me!! Wish me luck!

·
Registered
544 Posts
OK, let's take a deep breath, exhale, relax, and regroup. You have to remember that this in an infant. It's like being frustrated at a newborn for soiling his diaper and trying to crawl instead of walking. They don't understand. Neither does your puppy. He's way too young, so I'd say, yep, you're getting ahead of yourself. If you slow down a bit, lower your expectation, and take it a day at a time, I'm sure your frustration level will lower and you'll be able to train him, slowly, so that he develops into a wonderful walking companion and be fully housetrained. It's a long journey but when it's over, it lasts for a really long time. :)

I'm so sorry that anyone that calls themselves a breeder told you to put a pad in his crate. That totally defeats the purpose of crate training and send conflicting messages to the puppy. The reason he's using it less and less is because dogs are clean by nature and if he has a choice, he will not soil his bed. He is totally old enough to do exactly what you want with the crate training right now. Give him a small crate with just his bed and toys. He doesn't need food and water over night if you put him to bed late (10 or after) and get him up early (6-7). Once you get him on this schedule, he will stay clean all night. Be consistent with times and he'll get it. Take him out immediately upon waking, tell him to do his business, wait till he does, and then bring him in. Take him out on a regular basis, using the same door each and every time you take him out, using the same phrase each and every time you put him down, and he'll get it. Watch him like a hawk when he's in for any signs that he needs to go. If you see the signals, pick him up and take him out. You're looking at 6-9 months old before he's totally reliable in the house and probably til then or a little longer before he will "signal" he needs to go out. If you want him to use a bell or something, start that now. Put a bell at his level, on the door you want him to use, each and every time you take him to the door, ring the bell, then go out. He will associate the bell ringing with the potty outside and learn to ring it. As he gets a bit bigger, you can show him how to ring the bell with his paw, and he'll start doing it on his own. Right now, you have to do everything for him. It's part of the joy of having a baby in the house. :)

Leash walking takes lots of time and it's frustrating to him and you when you push him past his limits. His body and brain are too immature to understand that you want to take a walk around the neighborhood. He's just grasping the idea of wearing a collar and leash. Let him get used to that. He's gonna sniff and investigate the first few minutes every time. Follow him around and let him explore. After a few minutes, encourage him to come to you, praise when he does. Keep his training sessions down to about 5-10 minutes a day for a couple weeks, then increase in 5 minutes intervals. Try walking him a little in front of the house, then after awhile, go a couple houses down and back, then a few more and back, etc. These are long distances to such a young puppy. He won't be ready for a "good walk" until he's a lot older. If you make this time fun and enjoyable for him, and you, when he's an adult, you'll be able to take him anywhere, and his body will be developed enough to handle the walk. His little body and brain can't keep up yet. Baby steps, just like a toddler. They take a couple steps, then crawl again...then they take a few more, crawl, then they walk from the couch to the table, crawl, etc., etc., until they are walking across the room, crawl, and after some time, they are walking everywhere....and you wished they were crawling again. LOL

It's gonna work out just fine. Patience, lots and lots of patience, and consistency will give you the little darling that you want for the next 15+ years. It'll all work out fine. It gets better, I promise. Hang in there, and when you feel yourself getting frustrated, take a break from the training. They sense it but don't understand what's causing it. It's scary for them and sets back your training.

Take care,

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Toilet training. Pick him up or call him to comr with you out to the garden. Say the same thing every single time. "wee wee's" or whatever word suits you. Do this fairly often to start to get him into it. If he does do a pee or poo praise him up verbally as he's doing it in an enthusiastic voice. For example "Oh Goooood boy, good boy" When he's done really stroke him and praise him. Go straight back into the house and give him a small treat.

When he does have an accident in the house, show him it so he knows what he's done wrong. No need to rub his nose in it or anything though. Just show him and tell him off. Change your voice to a different tone and say "bad boy, bad boy" quick and sharp in an authorotative way. Then place him staright outside and tell him that's where he does "wee wee's". Then let him back in.

Believe me this really does work. persist with it and you'll soon see he wants that praise and reward so much he'll soon catch on. Just stick to it. Kepp putting him out till he knows to let you know when he needs it. Wait a while to give him chance to do it.

Walking.

Have him on a harness if you haven't already. get someone to go with you that he knows well. Either you or they walk ahead of him. So he will be running to catch up with that familiar person. keep at this for a while. It's natural they will sniff things. Especially boys. He''ll sniff and mark, sniff and mark. Have you had him done? This may help.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Wow, everyone here is much nicer regarding the walking issue then I am!:) If I couldnt get mine to walk I would jog for a few steps to 'kickstart' them!LOL.
Living in a messy area I still have to occassionally jog them by split garbage bags or takeways thrown on the floor so they cant have a crafty snack.
TBH though if you live somewhere with interesting smelling pavements you will always be dragging your dog along, I know I am!:D

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
TBH though if you live somewhere with interesting smelling pavements you will always be dragging your dog along, I know I am!:D
I disagree with that last bit, once your dog learns when he can or can't just walk off they do stay by you and walk with you.

Jake is only 11 months old and already he is learning to stay by my side no matter what distractions there are.

If your dog doesn't see you as their leader then yep they will always just do as they please ;););)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow, everyone here is much nicer regarding the walking issue then I am!:) If I couldnt get mine to walk I would jog for a few steps to 'kickstart' them!LOL. Living in a messy area I still have to occassionally jog them by split garbage bags or takeways thrown on the floor so they cant have a crafty snack.TBH though if you live somewhere with interesting smelling pavements you will always be dragging your dog along, I know I am!:D
This would be caused by the training method, not the smells around the dog. Not dragging the dog it's entire life is exactly the reason we've given her the suggestions on how to train this puppy the way we have. We don't want that to happen to her dog. There's no reason in the world for any dog to be pulled around by it's neck when on a walk, regardless of what's in the environment. Once they are lead trained correctly, they smell around for potty break (when permitted) and then they are off for a walk with their owner. If they are trained to potty when given a command (I use "find a spot"), they will walk till you tell them to potty and then continue walking. A solid "leave it" and proper placement of the dog at your side keeps them from investigating possible dangers on the trip.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Wow, you all have super high trained Chihuahua's!!
Today I stepped out my front door directly onto a pepperoni pizza, avoided an old sandwich 2ft further on, detoured round some biscuits about 4ft further, then tried to decide wether the pile of sick or broken glass would be easier to get round. At this point Ive reached the end of the raised walkway to the row my house is in and can start the walk on the really messy pavements!
Anybody want to teach my 3 comptetative and very greedy little dogs to avoid all that then be my guest!Leave it is a great command that my lot know but that involves you seeing the dog pick something up and I usually only spot the bigger items.:( I turned round the other day to find Adam walking along with a custard cream biscuit in his mouth I hadnt spotted! And yes, I told him to leave it and he did.:rolleyes:
Ive found it saves me time, the dogs from getting diarrhoea and gives us more exercise if we just power walk!!LOL

·
Registered
455 Posts
I reccoment Puppy training classes if you can't get any of the above methods to work for yourself, the trainser will probably encouter the same problem with pups not walking on the lead properly all the time, they will know whato to do! x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts