Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. That likely seems an odd question. We got my childhood Chi when he was already several months old and when I began dating my husband, Mick was 5 years old so I have no real reference from new puppy.

I was asking my husband how much longer their noses will get, taller they will get, look more adult, etc. Heaven knows the ears on my 2 cannot get bigger-haha!

They already no longer look baby to me, they look puppy. I was just wondering when they would look adult or have the features that they will always have.

Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
They won't take on the full adult appearance until they are over 1 year of age. I don't think their muzzle will "grow" anymore, or their ears. :lol: The youngest is 22 weeks, right? Everything will just grow together from here on out. They will look pretty much like they do now, just bigger and more mature. : )

·
Registered
236 Posts
Even though my two girls are grown I am wondering the same thing about Yogi, because he is l/c and I want to know what his coat will look like.

Small dogs usually mature faster than larger breeds & reach their adult size from around 12 - 18 months. If you have seen the girls' parents then you can probably guesstimate their mature body shape from what they looked like.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Muzzles/bites grow and change until 18 months, as do their heads. For instance at 22 weeks Bryco basically didn't have a muzzle still! His bite had gone off/undershot. It remained that way until 10 months, where it now is a scissors bite, muzzle slightly longer and wider, and widening still. Different dog's heads to different things, and to the untrained eye, muzzles don't change much because you see them every day, but trust me when I say they are changing and growing:) Some heads finish off at 6 months, others take up to 2 years of age :)

I would say at 2 years of age you generally are looking "the adult". Up til then, there are subtle changes. Even still, at 2 a dog looks "young". Not mature ;) So Mature appearance takes even longer ;)

They "grow into their ears", so, their ears will appear to get smaller in most cases.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Even though my two girls are grown I am wondering the same thing about Yogi, because he is l/c and I want to know what his coat will look like.

Small dogs usually mature faster than larger breeds & reach their adult size from around 12 - 18 months. If you have seen the girls' parents then you can probably guesstimate their mature body shape from what they looked like.
Yogi will "blow" his puppy coat around 6 months of age, maybe sooner, and very slowly over the next 2.5 years of his life get his "adult" coat.

At 6 months Bryco was pretty naked. At 10 months he had good pants (the long fur on the rear), at 12 months he is starting to get a chest ruff, long fur on the body, and a nice tail plume. Some get their coats a bit earlier than he has, some later :) Some are a really great coat by 1 year of age! Then they look like a pom later and that's no good, cuz they are a chi :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yogi will "blow" his puppy coat around 6 months of age, maybe sooner, and very slowly over the next 2.5 years of his life get his "adult" coat.

At 6 months Bryco was pretty naked. At 10 months he had good pants (the long fur on the rear), at 12 months he is starting to get a chest ruff, long fur on the body, and a nice tail plume. Some get their coats a bit earlier than he has, some later Some are a really great coat by 1 year of age! Then they look like a pom later and that's no good, cuz they are a chi
Thanks - He looks so funny at the moment because his ear fringe is starting to get really long & fluffy & he has about an inch of extra fur on the end of his tail that makes his tail look way too long lol. I have noticed that his coat is changing & becoming softer & silkier instead of feeling like felt. Both his parents have beautiful thick coats & his dad has the most amazing ear fringes I just can't wait to see how he turns out.

P.S. Sorry for hi-jacking the thread :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts