Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Daisy came home at 6 1/2 weeks. The breeder said she was ready to go. But now I've realised she left too early, because she bites. She should have learnt from her litter to not bite.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Me too, it was bearable at first, but now her jaw is strong and she has sharp teeth. Lol. When are you able to get your chi?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Reggie - about 5 years old
Gonzo - about 2 years old
Lexxi - about 5 years old
Billy - 6 months old.
Tico - about 11 to 13 years old
Twiggy - 18 months old
Smoke - 9 weeks old
Pepper - 6 weeks old
Marmalade - about 5 years old
Delilah - about 1 year old
Isis - about 9 months old

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Chico's breeder would not let him come home before 12 weeks...

so I picked him up at 12weeks 0hours 0minutes 0seconds

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Amberleah was only 6 weeks and 1lb, way too young but lady wanted the puppy's gone.
She didn't learn the biting thing hurts either, she play bits so hard and takes her front teeth and pinches. I am working on it it getting better. Plus I have a year old cat that is declawed and is teaching her it hurts.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Evie Claire was 13 1/2 weeks :cloud9:
She was a preemie puppy and needed a bit more time.
The breeder allowed her to be with her mom up until I adopted her.
She is a well-rounded pup and I attribute much of that to getting
a good start in life :)
(Jerry was 6 months. Tabitha 7 months.)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Angel was 9 weeks old. But he came from a litter of only 2 and was the only one when I got him. He did quite a bit of "play biting!" But now that he has lost all of his baby teeth (the last one was pulled by hubby on Tuesday!), they don't hurt as much. He has learned that when he starts "biting play" it gets him left alone, so he stops when I say "leave it!" Keep re-enforcing the play biting is with people is unacceptable. She will learn!

·
Registered
201 Posts
i got bell at 10 weeks,ive been lucky beacause my 3year old shih tzu has taught her alot ie biting lol..i had a westie years ago at 6wks and i couldnt stroke him without him teething me even when he was 2! have you tried yelping like a dog when she does it too hard and then stop playing or stroking her? that might help..good luck :)

·
Banned
51 Posts
Just wanted to say breeders shouldn't let them
Go until 12 weeks and fully vaccinated as per the BCC guidelines. Toy breeds are more complex than other breeds. They need this time to learn bite inhibition from siblings and some still nurse occasionally.

If a breeder wants you to pick the puppy up at 6-8 weeks walk away buy from someone else.

·
Registered
894 Posts
6 and 9 weeks, way too early! All the puppies were finding new homes at 6. I was told Bella was 7 weeks, then I picked her up a few days later, so I thought she was 7.5. Did the math once I knew her birthdate and she was only 6.5. She did have a biting problem, and I was really worried about it. Luckily we got Izzie, her littermate, at 9 weeks when the previous owner couldn't have her anymore, and her and Bella have learned bite inhibition and how to socialize with each other, and never play bite us unless we invite them to.

I tried talking to the owners to see if they could hold onto her a lil longer, but they were moving and could take all the pups. Owner was very young also, and wasn't a breeder. I now know 12 weeks is the minimum and the next Chi I buy, in a long time, I will make sure they do not come home before 12 weeks.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Bijoux -8 weeks she was a signalton litter so was raised my the owners and is a biggie but she is starting to growl and I'm getting worried she may be aggressive because she was a sigalton and never had litter mates to teach her.

Lincoln-7.5- he's hyper but an absolute dream so good with his little sister : )

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Bailey was 8 weeks....Addy was 12 weeks and Lacey was 14 weeks

Mia is the exception...she was supposedly 14 weeks (I think she was younger) but she was a pet shop puppy (Im not proud of that :( )

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hope was 2 days from 9 weeks and Ruby was 14 weeks. Both girls were driving distance. Hope weighed 1.5 lbs. and Ruby not quite 2 lbs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bella - we were told 8 weeks but think she was closer to 5/6. The people we got her off were a bit dodgy :(

Yogi - 10 weeks

Pebbles - 8 weeks (only allowed to have her early cause we have her big half brother & her mum had lost interest in the pups. Plus I am sure Nikki was sick of me begging for updates :p )

The older dogs are definitely good value when it comes to teaching "puppy manners". But it should be easy enough to stop the biting by firmly saying "No" and taking away your attention when it happens. That has always worked for us :) I am also finding that our kitten is a great "littermate" for Pebbles & they are learning together what is & is not appropriate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts