Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age do little boys start lifting their leg? My Axle is 5 months old next week and he still pees with all 4 feet on the ground. I'm hoping for the sake of my furniture that he never lifts his leg but I don't like my chances.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Some start as early as 6 months or so. If you have him neutered soon (at 5 months, most vets will be comfortable doing it) you will likely eliminate that problem before it begins!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning to get him done mid January. Chloe needs her final vaccination in 2.5 weeks so I'm hoping the vet will give me the go ahead when she sees him then. He's only 1.5kg now and she was hoping to do him when he hits 2kg but i'm not sure he will get there any time soon as he's not a big eater and he runs around like crazy burning it off. I've heard its better to get them done before puberty hits to avoid some of the issues such as marking.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Diesel is 5 1/2 months old, and only lifts his leg when he's out on leash with Pedro or Gracie, watching them. Yes, Gracie is a female, but she lifts her leg to pee. I suppose she learned by watching Pedro.

If I take Diesel out alone (as I often do, since he has to go more often than the other two older dogs) he doesn't even attempt to lift his leg.

I'm excited, though. He's started going to the door and letting us know when he has to go out!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I neutered Teddy at 7 months--just a few days after he started lifting his leg (and he hasn't quit since). I really have to keep an eye on him now or he'll mark everything in sight. The embarrassing thing is that he never does it in MY house, only when I take him to someone ELSE'S house! I regret not having neutered him sooner.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We have a 3 year old dog who still never lifts his leg, but we think he was neutered very very young. He was turned into a shelter at 1 year neutered, and has almost no, um, man sac.
Teddy's scrotum is virtually invisible! It's hard to tell where his testicles were if you somehow didn't know where they belonged. It's completely flat. He was neutered at 7 months and that's not incredibly young. Most male dogs who are neutered before 1 year of age won't have any visible remnants of their scrotum after being neutered.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's so hard deciding when to get him done. I obviously want to wait until he is a bit bigger and stronger to give him the best chance of bouncing back but I also want to catch him before puberty kicks in. Not only are there the marking issues but we spend a lot of time at the dog park that's directly across the road from my house so I worry about him running off after a female and me not being able to get him back (he had a confrontation with a magpie last night that got me thinking about the issues we might have if I don't get on to it soon).

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The reason your dog 'marks' in other homes, is that he is 'telling' whoever smells there, that he has been there. If this happens, then I would take him only on leash, and watch him like a hawk when you pass by tables, or any vertical furniture. At the slightest hesitation, you say NO and take him away. He needs to learn that all elimination is not acceptable there. Keep him on leash the entire time----or in a crate, playpen. May take months! Sue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts