Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now about 5 meals per week our guys get THK Keen or Embark, then approximately 5 meals per week they've been getting a premade raw. The other 4 meals of the week have generally been raw meat usually bone in but not always. I know I probably don't need to worry about organs yet, but when should I? I'm guessing not for a good bit, but what if their dinner every night is raw meat / bones? Do I need to worry then? Should they be getting a small bit once a week NOW? I love the convenience of the pre-mades but the more used to giving them some form of raw meat I get, the easier it gets.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think they've had enough variety that they should adapt fine to organs. I do beef or calf liver and kidney (instead of chicken) just because I think it's nutrient base is a bit better than the chicken. But you can alternate.

Start with just a fingernail sized piece of liver and kidney to start. Watch tummies for a couple days. Then repeat until you have worked up to 10% of their raw being organs. You can either do a smidge a couple times a week or you can do an organ meal on the weekends, which is what I do. If you do organs with a chicken wing tip there's usually no problem with loose stools but your mileage may vary. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I use lamb liver and kidney it's less slimey for me I don't do good with slime

Give them the teeny bit with their bone in meals and go from there!! I can't give daisy just an organ meal without bone coz her tummy can't handle it but with a chicken wing tip it's fine!!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
My guys get their organs from the Hare-Today grinds and Ziwi Peak, so I don't add any organs in myself.
Like Tracy and Sarah said just a smidge at first, preferably with a boney meal. Then work your way up to the 10%.
I like how Tracy gives Brody an all organ meal on the weekends. That just seems easier to me. ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I use Calve Liver, Chicken Liver (alternating monthly) and then Beef Kidneys for my organs. Just make sure to feed with a boney meal and that helps with the poops. I feed them twice a week, liver on tuesdays and kidney on fridays, that's easiest for me to remember.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Out of curiousity, how do you guys calculate the 10%? For example if 2oz a day were what an average 5lber is, do you mean 10% of that 2oz?
I guess what I'm asking is, over what time period do you balance out the 80/10/10 ratio?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the idea of smaller amounts to start with boney meals...lol an all organ meal seems frightening right now. I just want them to have the best nutrition I can give them avail. to them and don't want them to be missing anything.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
So if I'm doin my calculations correctly.. if I wanted to balance 80/10/10 over 1 week:

Approx 11oz would be meat
About 2oz would be Organ
and the last 2oz or so would be bone.

So what I could do would be divide the meat up by 7 (for days of the week so they'd get some of that each day) which would make it 1.5oz per day of meat. And then each day I could alternate either doing 1/2oz of bone, or 1/2oz of organ. (Which together adds up over a weeks time to be the other 20%). Course it'd be adjusted as needed to help poops but that's basically the right ratios.

It'd be easy to just measure that all out and bag it and freeze it once a week

Am I actually getting this correctly cuz it kinda seems to make sense now??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts