Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chipit is fearless, and attacks, with tail wagging, and bites TOO hard. She wont stop, and when I have to threaten to smack her, she doesn't budge, just snarls, with tail wagging. Bites my clothes as I walk. She is the biggest small dog I have ever seen. Hard as a rock, and strong. She LOOKS like a chi, but has all the telltale signs of pitbull.

She is 6 months old. Will she mellow out when she stops teething? I cant take her attacks. I look like a hype, with tracks alll up my arms. I got some goatskin gloves, and I smack her around, HARD, and she loves it. That is the only way to settle her down. Then she is a doll. But till then, there is NO way to stop her. Treats, nope, yell, nope, praise when she stops, nope. How do I get a monster to stop attacking? And is this JUST teething, or is it far more?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Is she playing?

I've heard that if you dramatically yell "Ouch!" right after they bite that they'll realize they did it way too hard and will learn bite inhibition. I'm very lucky that Cuddles didn't bite hard as a puppy.

You smack her?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is she playing?

I've heard that if you dramatically yell "Ouch!" right after they bite that they'll realize they did it way too hard and will learn bite inhibition. I'm very lucky that Cuddles didn't bite hard as a puppy.

You smack her?
Yes, she is playing, but she loves to be rough. She loves being smacked around, with my goatskin gloves on. She does NOT react, when I scream in pain, and be clear, I am in pain. I cannot shove her away, she is too fast, and gets another bite and hold in. She is NOT a normal chi, but like a tiny pitbull. Her body is like a tiny panther. What I did, was create a claw, and squeezed, till she yelped, on her back. And so, now, when she attacks, I get her with that claw, and place it on her back, and she stops dead. So, the mere threat of squeezing works, FOR NOW. Then, she comes to me and licks. But only after I get REAL serious. otherwise, she simply scoffs at any attempts to stop her. She is too fast even to catch.
She is a great dog, other than that, and I started, of course, ONLY praising and all the other tips given by pros. I could write a book. But NONE of it works. I hear, that if a CHIPIT is too much CHI, then the strength of the pit bull, with the small dog mentality, makes them hard to stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the goatskin glove, to differentiate between bite strength when she can do so, and when bare skin. And she does differentiate, it is less, when my bare skin. I am trying to get her NOT to bite hard at all, with bare skin, by allowing her to ATTACK the glove. She is vicious, when so does so, REALLY like a fighting pitbull.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shelter said she mouths, she was a stray when found, at four months approx. She may have been abandoned due to this. I first started smacking her on the head, when she had my hand in her mouth, bopping till she released. That worked for a while. She doesn't break skin on purpose, it only happens when she has my hand, and then starts to do the head shake thing. I can place hand on top of head, and crane head backwards, which doesn't allow her to bear down. This I do, when I CANNOT get free, and am in pain. Her front teeth, will not let me get free. She is TRYING not to hurt me, TOO MUCH. But she thinks she is master. I grab her, and pin her, hard, not allowing her to budge, to assert dominance, and that helps.

I just cant get her to not play dominance games.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've never once had to resort to physically punishing a dog. And the whole dominance theory garbage has been debunked. Maybe you should find her a new home if you feel the need to physically punish her.

Physically punishing her is going to make her more violent and fear aggressive, especially if done at such an early age.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never once had to resort to physically punishing a dog. And the whole dominance theory garbage has been debunked. Maybe you should find her a new home if you feel the need to physically punish her.

Physically punishing her is going to make her more violent and fear aggressive, especially if done at such an early age.
I have trained many dogs. I have college level operant conditioning training. I have tried ALL the training tips. I have rewarded, I have ignored, I have done EVERYTHING possible. When a dog has your hand, and is bearing down, and thinks your cries are nothing, and she loves being roughhoused, there is no KINDNESS, nor ignoring that will help.

When I point at her, and tell her back, she attacks my finger, when I shove her back, she launches. She can clear MANY feet, in midair. She is a gymnast. Shen I get my hand free, in a split second, she is back on it, with a fresh grip.

I get the little docile fragile chi, that SHE IS NOT. And pitbulls, have been bred to allow human handling. BUT, when a CHIPIT has mostly CHI in them, they act fearless like a chi, but with the strength and fearlessness of a pitbull, without the docile genes. This is well known amongst CHIPITs.

As was said in that article you sent, if they are not trained, maybe orphaned, or strayed, and ferrel, they don't get that bite suppression. I don't think she got any.

But, all night she spoons, and is a sweetheart. In the early morn, likewise. But when she is ready to play, there is NO STOPPING her. None. All the technique in the world, doesn't help, when she has your hand. She listens about tearing things up, and other discipline. Just not teething/mouthing. This is NOT a little ole chi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to the pitbull forums, and MANY folks ther, have the same kinds of issues. Some are genetically predisposed to roughhouse and mouth hard. I am hoping to find some clues with dogs capable of tearing a human apart. THANKFULLY, she is not that strong. I can still shove her back. She is as big as she will get. She will reach about 16 pounds of pure muscle. I am hoping that when she stops teething, I can start to gain some control, and use the techniques given. I have maybe two months to go.

There are MANY folks in my shoes in the pitbull forum, and most say they have tried ALL the techniques too. Thank GOD she is not 60lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found that I did NOT invent the claw thing. I read that is what Cesar does, on pitbulls. Claw on nick, but I use it on her back. Many folks say Cesar is MEAN too. He needs to resort to fear of pain, to stop aggressive mouthing too. I only had to hurt her one time, to make the claw effective. I started ONLY using praise, but even the vet said, she had no problem with bopping on the head, making it uncomfortable, till they release.

Even cops smack their big dogs, to get them to mind. I am not alone. I wish I could just feed a treat, or wag finger, and she would cower and sulk. Not gonna happen.

I have heard though, that tough pitbulls, stopped all of it, when they stopped teething.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Have you tried giving her a stern "no" and completely walking away from her when she even starts to rough house? Withdrawing your attention completely from her.

Chihuahuas, even chihuahua mixes, are not police dogs. There is no way to defend hitting your dog. That's animal abuse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Chipit is fearless, and attacks, with tail wagging, and bites TOO hard. She wont stop, and when I have to threaten to smack her, she doesn't budge, just snarls, with tail wagging. Bites my clothes as I walk. She is the biggest small dog I have ever seen. Hard as a rock, and strong. She LOOKS like a chi, but has all the telltale signs of pitbull.

She is 6 months old. Will she mellow out when she stops teething? I cant take her attacks. I look like a hype, with tracks alll up my arms. I got some goatskin gloves, and I smack her around, HARD, and she loves it. That is the only way to settle her down. Then she is a doll. But till then, there is NO way to stop her. Treats, nope, yell, nope, praise when she stops, nope. How do I get a monster to stop attacking? And is this JUST teething, or is it far more?
Hi. I have a chipit. Male named Bayley aka pork chop. Looks like a lil chihuahua on steroids. 12 pounds 4 years old. Fearless, I used a toy to teach him when he is allowed to bite (play bite) they have lots of energy. Take for walks and closed in free-runs it gets them tired to relax not be so hyper. If she bites get a rope play with her or try turning your back at her. Being stern is good to an extent. give her a non rawhide stick. be creative somehow. it takes time and consistency. she'll get it they r very smart. Mine calls me mamma when he wants something. It is an interesting mix. Also extremely lovable but doesn't take s*** at the same time lol he has a very deep aggressive growl and kicks his back and front legs can be intimidating for a lil guy. After 4 years I have him 90% in control. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
try a water spray bottle for when she is getting a bit to much give her a quick spray and say no it will shock her and she will realise after a few attempts and repeat of the process what happens if she bites , this way your not physically touching her just a bit of water to distract.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts