Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My 15 month old precious little female Chi is being very rude. I've had six chihuahuas over the years and have never noticed what Petria is doing. She is humping her teddy, all the time. I take that away and she grabs something else. I don't understand it, I thought only boys did that. She has been spayed. I can't think of anything to do to stop her, I've tried saying no, stop that and so on. any suggestions?.
Thank you,
Joan.

·
Registered
768 Posts
i had this problem with Lola before she was spayed.. she used to hump only certain teddys and soft toys so i just removed them..
After her spay she calmed down loads but when Penny came into season a couple of months ago i saw Lola humping a teddy again in her bed!!
I was sooo annoyed!! I took it off her and said no!
She hasnt done i since.
I suggest just take all the toys she does it with off her and make it know to her its naughty.
I also never knew females done this kinda thing!!
Maybe if it really is that bad that she just goes away and finds some thing else to do it with squirt her with a little bit of water and say NO!! or make a loud noise so it scares her a bit!! she should stop doin it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your help. I am surprised because she has been spayed, wonder if the Vet did it correctly. I have another Chi too, but has never done anything like that. I just hope Petria doesn't start with Jacinta. I will take the teddy and other stuffed toys away. Also, will start with "No" as you suggest then spray water bottle. Oh goodness me I can't believe this.
Hopefully, I can stop her cause it's embarrassing, but fortunately no visitors have seen her doing it yert.

Thanks again,
Regards, Joan.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
My Grandmother had a spayed Yorkie that did this with certain stuffed animals. I agree with the above and that you should take the probable larger stuffies from her and maybe spray with a water bottle when she does this behavior. I think it is more of a dominance behavior when it is females at this age.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If I understand doggy minds, humping is not always a sexual thing. It can mean that the dog is trying to say "I want to dominate you". So she can't dominate some of the other dogs, she can and does dominate her toy. Take it away, and she'll find something else. I'd leave her alone with her toy. If it disturbs you, just put the dog and the toy in a crate, other room, what ever. She'll get the message that if she wants to be with you, she can't do that behavior. In my opinion, punishment makes this behavior worse, as they are stressed already! Give her one toy, and either put her away for a while when she does this behavior, or you leave the area. Give it a try!

When you see dogs in a group, there is usually one that is trying to hump/put a paw over the shoulders of the others. That is dominate behavior. Sue Davis

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Is it really all the time??
Coz both my girls do it at certain times and TBH I just leave them to it! Hannah will hump Adam when they play fight and Heidi will sometimes hump her cuddly Lemur toy. Oh, ad Adam humps his teddy bear pretty much every night!!
Its sex, sex, sex with my lot!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Humping isn't just about hormones. It's also about dominating, and females as well as males will sometimes exhibit the behavior when they're trying to be dominant. Tango is neutered and will still want to hump any toy of a certain size and shape, so I keep that kind out of the toy box. He's never tried to hump Jazz, go figure! But he used to grab onto my roommate's male pug's leg and go to town. A sharp "NO!" will stop him.

My daughter's spayed cockapoo will attempt to hump random things/her other dog/the cats. It makes no sense and is completely random.

To reiterate, in a spayed or neutered dog, it's not about hormones/sex. It's about domination.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
There has been a link between hypersexual behavior and vaccinosis which is another reason to vaccinate minimally and conservatively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts