Chihuahua People Forum banner

Awkward Question

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Buildthemskywards 
#1 ·
Ok... So Mylo nearly scared me to death earlier. I bought the Buttons and Bear bed I have been lusting after for moths for Mylo yesterday and it has a long, cylindrical bolster cushion which he seems to be fond of humping, like many other soft things he's been given. I looked over before and he was lying in a weird position with the cushion on top him, half fallen off the bed, eyes partly open and whites showing not moving at all. I thought he'd suffocated himself or something and went over scared out of my wits and when he heard me he moved. I noticed that his..."mini Mylo" was all the way out, instead of just the tip as I've usually seen and that a large round bit was at the bottom, which I assume to be the knot. He stayed there for ages like that.

I just wondered if this was normal, particularly for a young puppy (he was 19 weeks yesterday) and if it will cause any problem with getting a female puppy mi plan on neutering him at around 6 months. Forgive me if any of this question is stupid or naive but I have no clue about male dogs as I've always had girls when I was growing up and have never had much cause to know.

#2 ·
You had me rolling with laughter!! Sometimes when they sleep, there eyes are open or flicker while they're sleeping. Since this post was written several hours ago, I assume his mini Mylo has relaxed & went to sleep. Sounds like he was having a great dream. No question here is ever stupid. It's the questions that aren't asked that make me sad when something is really wrong.

#3 ·
Not a stupid question at all! My daughter had a big scare when her chi, Cojo, had his "way out!" She called the vet because she said it was "long!" They told her not to worry, it will go back, and it did! It could be quite scary.

Poor Angel is not well endowed at all!!

That's why he doesn't have soft, plush toys. But with him it's a little worse. He "protects" them!

Hope Milo and "little Milo" are okay now!

#4 ·
Thanks for your responses. His mini Mylo is indeed back to normal. I just didn't expect such a young pup to get so...excited! He wasn't asleep, he just seemed to need a moment to relax after such vigorous humping :s I kind of assumed it would only come all the way out when the opportunity to mate came about or he was fully matured at least. I guess not! Thank God I have this place to ask these questions!

#5 ·
Hi, i,m glad someone bought this subject up, Charchi has a teddy bear which i thought at first would be to big for him, but he managers to carry it around. He,s always humping it, and he takes it to bed with him to snuggle up with.even though it,s rather large for his bed. I was thinking should i get rid of it and buy another soft toy for him to cuddle with because when he,s trying to hump this thing, he looks like he really dosen,t understand what he,s doing but wants to if you understand what i mean?,i feel like i,m being mean for giving him this toy that just seems to confuses him, he has been desexed and he turns 1 next week thanks-janet.

#6 ·
Mylo has a lion that he loves and drags around and sleeps with that's a tiny bit smaller than him. He humps it sometimes too but mostly a duck he has. I think if you bought him a new one he'd probably just do it with that too. It's normal and just a fact of life. Some people don't give them soft toys so that they can't, some people train them not to do it (in front of them at least) and some people just let them get on with it. I choose to let him get on with it. He's not hurting anyone by doing it, though I do stop him if he goes to do it on people...which he has done. Usually he doesn't do it to toys in front of guests though.

#8 ·
LOL...this had me giggling too. It is normal for them to get so excited about a toy while playing/hummping. I think it's an uncomfortable/awkward feeling for them when they're exposed thus the odd expression. haha You could give him a luke warm bath and/or use some lub to help it back in but...with time it always goes back in.. Even our Maxie does this still once in a great while & he is neutered. He just gets playing & looses himself. hahaha I just pop him in his crate for a bit & then he's as good as new. Once your boy is neutered it probably won't happen again...but could. Nothing to be concerned about though by any means. Boys will be boys! :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I dont have a problem with them doing it! But I have to not give Angel those toys because he gets sort of aggressive if you go near him or his toy! I had just been giving him those special toys only on occasion, but he growls and attempts to bite if I walk by his crate or by him if he is outside his crate with the toy! I don't want to scold him for what he is doing, because it is a natural thing and I dont have a major problem with it, but, because of his behavior, I just don't let him have them!

I don't think they should be scolded for doing something natural, unless they start doing it to guests! lol

#10 ·
I understand your concern. Although the delicate way you phrased it was priceless, thanks for the giggle.

I don't know how many of you are actually aware of this, but dogs (and bulls) do actually have a bone inside their 'little parts.' It's called as os penis. This bone, can cause their delicates to stick out at times, if they are held funny or sit crookedly Neutered or not, the behavior is also normal, not necesarily their most charming habit, but normal. There is also a pair of glands (glans penis) that causes their anatomy to stick out and stay, that's what causes the tie during breeding, it is probably the 'knot' to which you were referring.

No need to panic, just calmly place him in his crate or some other quiet place until everything relaxes to normal. With my toy poodle, at one time I had a guest over when he did that, I nonchalontly placed a light weight baby blanket over the offending sight (this lady was very, very proper - great timing, Bug!), and continued our conversation as if nothing was amiss. He recovered uneventfully and resumed his more appropriate play.

If you find it disturbing, try to notice what brings on that behavior and distract him with a tasty treat, a different toy or game or some exercise. He'll moderate it eventually on his own, usually.

#11 ·
Thanks for your replies. I feel better after reassurance. I'm not bothered about it as long as it's normal although I am glad it will decrease once he's neutered. He doesn't seem to get frisky with his toys when there is company about but males with bare legs have gotten a bit too much attention, at which point I say no and distract him. Thankfully he isn't protective or agressive with any of his toys, bones or chews. I've made sure to hold his chews or stroke him when he's eating high value items like his raw food and RMBs. We play tug with his toys so he's not protective of them either. Maybe it's just not in his personality?

Glad you liked my phrasing, I thought I would add some humour to the situation. That and I am English ;)

#16 ·
I didn't think you would, that's why I changed what I was going to say! It means tired. I don't have any American friends so I really have to think about what I'm saying sometimes but I'm sure things slip through. The difference in language is funny...have you ever seen the Eddie Izzard sketch about differences in American English and English from his Dressed to Kill tour filmed in San Fransico? I'll have to find it and post it.

#17 ·
No please post! I still have to respond to your post on my page, I've been at work all day so I'm using my app and not full CP. I had an 11 hr day plus 1 hour commute so I am KNACKERED!! Lol. My new word for the day!! I love learning néw words! Do English people say give me a "cuddle" instead of hug? I watched a movie "this means war" and one of the actors was English and he asked his son for a cuddle and my heart melted!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.