Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting's y'all,
About a week ago, my partner (a big expert) and me (a complete and utter newbie) adopted a chihuahua from our local lost dog's home. She's somewhere between 7 and 10 years old, and is generally fine...

But she keeps licking the couch and our bed ! What's up with that ? She'll lick an area the size of a small book until it's completely wet, then she'll move a bit and lick somewhere else. It's Summer here in Sydney, and everyone is a little sweaty, the only thing I can think of is that she's after some Salt (either the taste, or she actually needs it).

I tried offering her a little meaty treat covered in salt, wasn't interested. Should I be adding salt to her food ? (currently meat, with some rice and carrot). Any ideas on getting her to stop this ?

Thanks in advance everyone, I'm sure you'll be hearing more from us in the future.

regards,
--
TOAST

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie will occasionly lick a spot like that too. One time we were on our friends boat and i thought ON No he peed but it was a spot he had been licking. My friend said she thought her husband had dropped some taco meat there the nite before. :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
mhpercival said:
For what it's worth my Vet and one of his tech's told me that its' because the furby was bored
Yes, that was what I was told also. But if she's been doing it for a long time it might just be a habit now.

Can you give her some kind of bones and toys to chew on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bella does this and it's kinda aggravating especially when she does it in bed and we roll over on to a cold wet spot. I always tell her stop when I catch her. It seems to start from her licking her hands then she strays off her hands and on to the surrounding area. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts