Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was a bone in meal for my guys last night. They had a chicken wing section and since it is starting to get a bit cool in the evenings I fet them in the garage instead of outside (if I give them their bones in the house they just bury them in their beds :().

I stuck them in there with their bones and just left the door open a crack so I could hear if a fight broke out. After about 1/2 an hour I checked on them and found Chloe off in a corner just entertaining herself with some leaves and Axle hunched over looking like he was about to be sick and with the biggest tummy I have ever seen on him.

I stuck my fingers down his throat to make sure he wasn't choking and then tipped him up and patted him on the back until he brought up what was bothering him. To my surprise hehad swallowed at least half a chicken wing with bone included in one big chunk. I suspect he had eaten both wings given his tummy was so big and Chloe was not still eating (she takes a while to get through a bone) so she got a small bowl of ZP.

Ax slunk off to bed and lay with his big fat belly bulging out the side and that post christmas dinner glazed look in his eyes. Now I'm going to have to hold on to his bones while he eats :( what a naughty boy!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ack! What a scare!

Mimi would inhale hers too if I let her. I was only hand
feeding her for awhile because of this. Now when I give them
bones like a cornish hen wing or leg, I smash them up. It
kind of makes it stringy and they just naturally chew it into
bites. Maybe try something like this next time ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Ugh...this is why I went to the meat grinder. I don't have the time to watch that all my gulpers chew properly each meal ( I have anywhere from 3 to 5 dogs at a time). Couple that with the fact that I freak out when one chokes and....you get the meat grinder;)

I know that most raw feeders prefer the chewing factor--I know that is of prime importance-- but I have to weigh out how I can feed them the diet I believe to be best and how I can maintain my sanity ;);)

So, they get everything beneficial from the raw ( I will feed bones such as Cornish hens on the weekends when I have more time to monitor) but in the ground form. Then during the day they entertain themselves with various chews.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts