Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recent rescued a sad little chihuahua, but to be honest, I'm mostly a reptile person. I professionally breed a very rare species of aquatic salamander called the axolotl. (they've recently gone extinct in the wild).

These ones here are my personal pets. Left to right there's Lefty, Jelly, Lucky & Svejk. (the last one's a Czech name, it's pronounced like Shrek, but with a v sound where the r sound is)

Some of them have an extra gene that allows them to glow under blacklight. This is a juvenile in my hand underwater with a uv light on him.

They lay eggs on the plants in their tank about once a year. You can see the white balls on the plants that the albino (Lucky) in the photo has just finished laying. (it looks like they're all trying to take credit for them though lol)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

They love people too. They'll come right up to see you as soon as you make eye contact with them. And they can recognize their owners vs. strangers.

The proper name is axolotl, but a common petshop name for them is mud-puppy because they're so friendly. (a 'true' mud puppy is technically a different species though).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Cool! I like reptiles too. I have three snakes, a cal king, a ball python, and a rough scales sand boa. They are all rescues! My toddler has a book with an axolotl in it, and I love that the author thought to include it with all the other animals!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow these are so cool I have never seen anything like these before!
Thanks! I've been raising axolotls for a few years. All salamanders look like this when they're tadpoles, but this is one of the only species that stays like this for it's whole life. They're only native to one lake in the entire world, but they've recently gone extinct in the wild. :sad1:

They're pretty rare even as pets, even people who are really into herps sometimes haven't heard of them or seen them before. They're banned as pets in a few places too. (either because of poorly worded laws or because they can interbreed with certain local salamanders if they're turned loose)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love axolotls, they are actually quite common here is the UK as an easy to keep exotic pet.
They are fairly common in the UK, Germany & Australia. Here in Canada though they've been pretty hard to come by & CITES rules say they can't be shipped internationally without a mountain of paperwork.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I posted to this but think it got lost. My daughter makes costumes and recently made an axolotyl. I thought they were mythical. lol Thanks for sharing the pics. They are beautiful.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
We'd love to hear about your rescued chihuahua. Your salamanders are really something. We used to have them on 'our' island after a rain, in New Hampshire, years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts