Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again....seems like I'll never run out of questions....

I tried searching on here for this but I couldn't find the answers I want. I am going to bath my chi (5 weeks old) in the hopes of releaving her of the pesky fleas and ticks. :evil: I am going to get a flea shampoo from Petco. What else would I need and what is the best way to bath my lil one, I don't want her catching a cold. Thanks.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
it needs to be warm water but not too hot test it as you would the water for a baby - I put a washing up bowel in the bath as at such a young age it might be too frightening to wash her in a big bath - wet her all over using a jug - been careful not to get any water in her ears as this can develop into an infection (you could try putting cotton wool in too be sure) then rub in a small amount of shampoo into a lather careful not to get any in her eyes etc and then rinse off with clean fresh warm water.

hope this helps :wave:

also just curious as too how you have got her so young - she really needs to still be with her mother and litter mates, or at the least an experienced chihuahua owner who has had puppys at such a young age - is she eating plenty?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I bathe Kemo in the sink cause it hurts my back too much in the tub. Just dry her off as much as possible and keep her wrapped up in a towel near a heater or hold her. Kemo hates the blow dryer so we just hold him and keep changing towels so they arent damp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Putting a folded towel in the bottom of the tub or sink makes them feel more secure . I found by doing this they don't try and scramble so much . I found the scrambling was because the slippery bottom of the tub and they felt insecure and unsteady.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clare,

My friend had a litter of them, and her dad didn't want the puppies around I guess. Since she knew that I've been looking for a while, I took the only female in the litter yesterday. She's so timid and calm compared to her siblings and she always get left behind and get pushed around by her siblings. She seemed sluggish too. When I inquired about what Dezi and the rest of the baby puppies were eating, she said she has been giving them dry puppy food (puppy chow) crushed into tiny pieces and soaked in regular milk. She's been doing this for a week. I've been doing some research on chi's and I know that Dezi should be eating something that best suits her current stage but I didn't want to tell my friend how to care for her puppies. Also, the mom doesn't breast feed them anymore as she walks away when her youngins try to get milk from her, I saw this personally while I was there. Aside from having other adult dogs in the house and I'm sure they got fleas just by the looks of them, I didn't like the fact that she was letting the puppies run around the front lawn. I wasn't pleased to see this and this is one of the reasons why Dezi has fleas. So I figured, Dezi is better off with me. After picking her up, I went straight to Petco yesterday and got her Royal Canin mini/puppy dry food. It's more digestive safe, its got immunity support, and it already comes in tiny bite sizes which are perfect for her. The manager recommended this for her for a couple of weeks and then she can be moved to a different type of dry food. I started feeding her the Royal Canin and Dezi surprised me that she can put away alot considering that she's only been eating dry food for a week. She also drinks plenty of water. Today I noticed that Dezi is a lot more energetic. She's got plenty of teeth and she seems to be bitting things and playing around alot today too compared to yesterday. She's pretty aggressive now. I have never seen her try to run fast and she did today. I was so impressed with her progress. Her stools are firm and compact so I know that the food is doing its job. I am not sure what kind of dry food to give her next so I'm open for suggestions. Anyhow, I love Dezi to death already just having her for 2 days. Last nite she didn't let me sleep much because she kept crying, I guess that comes with the territory of housebreaking a pup.

Everyone, thanks for your suggestions. I will try to bathe Dezi tonite and drown all those pesky fleas and ticks...yikes this is my first puppy bathing. BTW, what should I do with the fleas that might possibly run up inside her ears? More suggestions are welcomed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
you start at the head they will run down away from the soap just watch not to get water in the ears like mentioned before. :wave:
Talk nice and soothing too so the pup learns that this is a good thing :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man I wish y'all are here by my side when I do this tonite. It's actually frigthening me a little. I hope Dezi won't cry so much. She's such a cry baby, she'll cry when I leave her side even for just a few minutes unless she's asleep.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I know its scary but try to act confident! They pick up on your tension. irst time i tried to bath Poppy we both were terrified and she made such a fuss! But then I went to the vet and they washed her there and she behaved like it was the most natural thing in the world to have a bath! They held her much more firmly than i had done and had a very no nonsense approach, rubbing firmly and not being afraid to wash hser thoroughly as I was. I was scared of hurting her, but a firm hand, afew calming words and genltle but FIRM handling will make your Dezi feel like you know what youre doing. Godd luck! :wave:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...firm hands and soothing words... got it! Should I use something to lather in the soap into her skin?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Cuddles mentioned using a towel as the sink or bath is too slippery. What we use for Auggies is that non skid stuff that you can buy for shelving. I cut a piece the size I need for the sink and he doesn't slip & slide and I don't have to end up with a wet towel except for the one I wrap and dry him in. :lol:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Nope...just put a penny sized dollop of shampoo in your hand and work it in gently all over her....then rinse it off after afew minutes, make sure its all rinsed away :)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Good luck! I know it will go fine although it is scary the first time you bathe them.

You may want to buy some flea stuff from the vet in addition to giving her a bath. (the stuff you buy at Walmart does not work well)

We wash our Chi's in the kitchen sink. They both like to drink the water while bathing. :roll:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
good luck with the bath - let us know how you got on .

it is lovely how you have rescued her - but I do think she would of been better off with mom for a few more weeks - here is a quote of a great site I found and this is why I always nag people so much about this topic it is my pet hate but it is because I dont want you all to end up with dogs who bite and are aggressive etc :

It's really important for a puppy to remain with it's mother and littermates as outlined above. During this time your puppy will learn about pack heirarchy, bite inhibition and proper social behavior within the pack. Taking a puppy home before 7-1/2 to 8 weeks of age really deprives the puppy of much needed training by mom and littermates and will make your job of training much more difficult.

Helen T. Redlus
March 1, 1997

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bathing was a success!!!

Well.....Dezi and I made it! :D Before going home, I stopped by Petco to get a flea shampoo. I didn't realize that most brands aren't recommended for puppies Dezi's age but I found one that's suppose to be non-toxic and ok for all ages. Anyhow, I turned on some Jazz since Dezi seems to really calm down when she hears it. She gave me this UH-OH look when I was filling the bowl with warm water. But she was suprisingly calm once she was in there. I tried to work as quick as possible because I don't wan't her to catch the chills. Everything went smoothly, firmness and soothing words helped greatly, plus the music she loves to listen to. Drying her was kinda hard. I had to go thru so many towels to completely dry her. Her upper coat dried fast but the skin beneath remained wet for a while. One thing I tried was blowing warm air into her while she's wrapped in it. Then I would switch and blow warm air into a dry towel and quickly wrapping that around her after removing the old damp one. She went straight to bed after that. She didn't wake me up as often lastnite. She did scratch a bit again this morning but not as often as she usually would. I haven't had time to check her out since I was getting ready for work. I did change her beddings and cleaned her bed and carrier. I think next time, this whole thing will be a lot easier for me. Dezi was very cooperative and I'm glad for that.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
glad it went well.

is it not possibly to take her to visit with her mom and litter mates if you live close and its a friend of yours atleast every other day until she is atleast 8 weeks old :?: :wave:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the litter mates are all gone. She disposed of them already, the mom is still there but the issue is work. I own a business and work 16 hour days 7 days a week. Dezi goes to work with me and she gets all the attention and nourishment she needs on a scheduled basis. My friend lives clear across town about 50 miles south. I do plan to take her to see her mom in a few weeks but I cannot let the fleas transfer on Dezi. Those dogs aren't very well kept although they appear clean. But they are let loose all over the house and the area is not the cleanest.

ozzysmom said:
glad it went well.

is it not possibly to take her to visit with her mom and litter mates if you live close and its a friend of yours atleast every other day until she is atleast 8 weeks old :?: :wave:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm glad that the bath went well!! =) :D Dezi sounds like a sweet little girl!! =) Just be careful with the fleas....if they ingest a flea they can get tapeworms. I fostered a puppy from when it was 3 weeks old until it was 10 weeks old and she had every single worm you can imagine. Ick! Actually the puppy kinda looked like Dezi! Too cute! Did you take pictures of her first bath?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Aw see I knew it would go well................dont take her anywhere if she is going to get reinfested.........poor thing. Keep up on your good work at trying to get rid of them in the house etc. :wave:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish I had taken photos, I didn't think about it actually. Next I will be sure to do that. How often would you guys bathe your pups? Anyhow, cleanliness isn't an easy thing. I was thinking that I let Dezi run around the carpeted floor when I first got her and I'm sure I have fleas on my carpetting now. On Dezi's first night with me, she couldn't sleep so I let her sleep with me in bed so there's another area where there are fleas. So this weekend, I'm going to wake up really early and clean the carpetted floors with a steam vac. Then I'm getting new bed sheets and pillow cases for my bed. And then I'll bath Dezi again. I realized that anything Dezi had contact with prior to her bathing will have a chance of reinfesting her with fleas if I don't clean them. At work, Dezi has her own little area where she can play, sleep, and eat. Her potty area is in the private restroom. Good thing I have tiled floors. But I will clean her little area as well.

All I can say is that going on 3rd day with Dezi, she's showing more vigor and energy. My sister even commented that she seemed to have gotten a lil bigger or perhaps Dezi was just bloated at the time. Dezi is adjusting real well to housebreaking. I find myself paying more attention to her than other things around the house or at work because I really wanted to consistently reinforce things with Dezi. I think she will grow up to be a really great pet and companion. I see her to be more of a companion rather than just a pet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts