Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken a few days ago, and yesterday. He's so small. Barely 4 oz and almost 2 weeks old. Hopefully he'll get his growth spurt soon!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. How big do you think he will be when full grown? Does he look behind? Am thinking he was born too early.. and maybe he's more like "almost 1 week" in real development time.

·
Registered
774 Posts
he's beautiful. love the blaze on his head. not sure on his size. these other ladies could probably tell you better than i could.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I don't know about size and time either.

I just stopped by to see how he is doing. He sure is lovely. Looks like mama is being particularly doting.

Has she missed her other babies?

When my sisters dog had my Buford, there was also a little female born that didn't make it. When my sister took her away, Bufords mama looked and looked for the little baby she knew she had tucked in. :-(

·
Registered
237 Posts
He is definitely the size of newborn, at under 3 oz. Mine were born at 3.5 - 5 oz at birth. They gained .5 oz in the first two days after birth, on average. They gained about .3 - .5 oz every day after that. At two weeks old, they all doubled their birth weight (or a little more).

My little girl Bailey was born at 4.4 oz. She is charting right now at 4 lbs full grown. If you look at her weight from birth on the weight chart - it estimates her weight full grown to be 5 lbs.

Right now at 18 weeks, she is 2lbs. 12 oz.

Maverick was born at 5.1 oz. He was charting at 5.5 lbs. He is 7 lbs at 18 weeks. Isn't that just crazy???

He could have a growth spurt. The weight chart is just an estimate. If you went by the weight chart now, your baby is off the chart - he is not even charting in at 2 lbs. full grown. But what I am saying is, you have to wait and see what happens. It is much too early to tell.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
He is so adorable, and I can't believe how tiny he is. I hope that the little guy can gain some weight now that he's the only puppy nursing.

The last picture of him and his mom on your lap is adorable :D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it is very hard to tell. I've been checking the weight chart but he doesn't even register anymore. He was about less than 3oz born.. and now about 3 oz, a week later. He doesn't look skinny. His head has gotten wider. His fur has gotten fluffier and his belly is round. So my guess is just that he is behind. Hopefully he will catch up soon. I can't imagine what to do with a dog under 2lbs full grown, LOL.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Fynn was singleton when born as her siblings were mumified, she wieghed one and a half ounces and now weighs approx 3 1/2lb., and is 7 years old ( middle one on avatar).

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
He may have been a little premature but that doesn't mean he won't catch up. Chopper was born premature at 1.5 ounces, had to be tube fed for the first week or so and he now weighs approximately 3 pounds at almost 10 months.

I will keep you little Blue Boy in my thoughts and prayers that he will grow up to be a strong healthy adult.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
wow he is soooooooooo sweet, I am sure he will grow and catch up fast enough.
Congratulations he is a gorgeous colour.. I LOVE BLUE'S

1 - 18 of 18 Posts