Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to post this in the Breeding section as that seems more relevant but im not allowed. If thats where it should be can someone move it for me? :)

Anyway, some of you already know Evie :D She is our first chihuahua pup and a little survivor. Her mum had 3 beautiful babies, 2 boys and Evie. Sadly she had quite a panic about it all and turned on the babies. The white boy died at 1 day, mum had attacked him and the vet thinks it was shock. The lovely red boy was born weak after being born out of his sac, and he never got going :( Evie had to be taken away from her mum at a few days old as she got so upset when feeding her that it was becoming a nightmare, she was very agitated and would growl at her. So I have completely hand reared her from about 3 days old. She was also born very tiny, at about 70g. Im told it is very rare for such a tiny person to make it this far, but she is now 4 and 1/2 weeks and currently weighing in at about 360g, still small for her age but not bad! :D She is a wonderful character and spoilt rotten.

Anyway, pics from Day 1 to Today!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She's so sweet!!! Sorry to hear about the other puppies. That is a LOT of work hand rearing a baby like that. You have done well. :)

Will you be keeping her?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
What a beautiful little baby.. Wow, what you have acheived is nothing short of a miracle in my opinion..To hand rear a chi from 3 days old had to be a 24/7 job.. I certainly admire the dedication and love you have for little Evie.. Blessings, Deb

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its been a lot of hard work. She is still on two hourly feeds through the day now as she is a bit behind a "normal" pup, but she is going through the night now which helps. For the first couple of weeks I was having to do feeds every hour, 24 hours a day. It was exhausting, but definately worth it. We had a few worrying times where I didnt think she'd make it, and she's still not out of the woods now, but she's a tough little thing!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aww what a cutie! I know the 2 hr feedings with my new two, but every hour? You are doing a great job. Try to get some rest when you can...

·
Registered
383 Posts
She's adorable.

I remember hand rearing a little red squirrel, he was about the size of a peanut, bald, ears and eyes closed when we got him. It took about 10 weeks of middle of the night feedings before he could make it through the night. It was grueling and we almost lost him once. I can really feel for you but I also know how rewarding it is when they grow up big and strong.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi thank you for shareing that story of baby evie i think she is the most adorable little chih ive ever seen and so ready to live wish you the best with her

·
Registered
47 Posts
aww she is such a precious little girl <3 What a true survivor. Its amazing how these little guys can pull through just about anything. Sorry to hear about her siblings. She looks like shes doing so well! Love watching her grow up in just a few pics!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
What a little doll! My daughter was a vet tech for some years, and we've done more than our fair share (she more than me) of hand raising pups and kittens who had lost their Mama, so I have some idea of what it takes. It's grueling and I admire your fortitude in sticking with it. Yeah, Evie still has a ways to go, but I'm very optimistic for you that she'll make it all the way. Good job!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts