Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone mentioned to me that babyfood was OK to encourage feeding. Well, tonight we put a baby spoonful of babyfood out to offer Bryco and he ATTACKED IT. Like, was sooooo excited, and gobbled like it was going out of style.

The ingredients for this specific type are
Ground Chicken
Water
Cornstarch

I know corn isn't great for them but is it OK to ensure he's eating well if it encourages his appetite that much, if its less than 1 tsp mixed in maybe one or two times a day?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I dunno hun but i've read in loads of places that you can give baby food to a little pup.. Could you get a jar that doesn't have corn in it just for peace of mind??

·
Registered
544 Posts
Corn is an ingredient in many dog foods. It's fine as long as they don't have allergies and it's not the primary (or one of the firsts on the list) of ingredients. Sounds like you found a great way to get him eating. Baby food is always a wonderful to get them going. If you have concerns about the cornstarch, you could make your own chicken baby food.

I get the bags of skinless, boneless frozen chicken breats or strips from the grocery. Take one out, thaw, boil, drain, and puree in your blender with water to made the appropriate consistency. Keep out enough for 4-5 days and freeze the rest in baggies with about the same amount. On the last day of one baggie, take one out of the freezer and into the fridge for the next week. I like this for two reasons. One, I like controlling the ingredients and how coarse the chicken is when I add it. (I puree it less as they get older and have more teeth.). Two, since they are used to getting the chicken, when I wean them off the "chicken gravy" on the food, their stomach is used to it and when I use regular boiled chicken as bait for training, no upset tummy. Within a couple weeks, he'll be ready to start bait training and this will work great for that. (Didn't I read you want to show this boy? If not, I'll apologize now and you can just ignore this tip.)

Glad to hear he's eating good for you now. The most important thing when they go to their new home.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Baby food is fine as long as you are careful with the ingredient list--which you are. I'd add some Nutra-Cal to it or on top of it. Rico had some when he was weaning--the breeder had me put Nutra Cal puppy on it as well. It is just to get them going on with the eating thing.

This is for a baby dog--the new baby , right ??

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
This is another staple at my house. The little tiny jars of Gerber Chicken baby food. The label says, Chicken, with Chicken Gravy (very small print). I used it for them as young pups, and still use it when mine get upset tummies.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody is a huge fan of baby food too. :) I always have several jars on hand.

I got Beech Nut brand last time. It's ingredients didn't have the cornstarch. Just chicken and chicken broth. That's all.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I've read loads of biscuit recipes with baby food in them. Just make sure it's not one with onion. You could fill a kong with it and freeze it.
Okay...great! I made sure to get no onion or garlic powder. I did get one with sweet potato and chicken as I know sweet potato shows up in many dog foods...figured it would be ok =) Also made sure none had added salt or lots of sodium.

Corn is an ingredient in many dog foods. It's fine as long as they don't have allergies and it's not the primary (or one of the firsts on the list) of ingredients. Sounds like you found a great way to get him eating. Baby food is always a wonderful to get them going. If you have concerns about the cornstarch, you could make your own chicken baby food.

I get the bags of skinless, boneless frozen chicken breats or strips from the grocery. Take one out, thaw, boil, drain, and puree in your blender with water to made the appropriate consistency. Keep out enough for 4-5 days and freeze the rest in baggies with about the same amount. On the last day of one baggie, take one out of the freezer and into the fridge for the next week. I like this for two reasons. One, I like controlling the ingredients and how coarse the chicken is when I add it. (I puree it less as they get older and have more teeth.). Two, since they are used to getting the chicken, when I wean them off the "chicken gravy" on the food, their stomach is used to it and when I use regular boiled chicken as bait for training, no upset tummy. Within a couple weeks, he'll be ready to start bait training and this will work great for that. (Didn't I read you want to show this boy? If not, I'll apologize now and you can just ignore this tip.)

Glad to hear he's eating good for you now. The most important thing when they go to their new home.
I do want to show him! I fell in love with him and spent an entire afternoon talking with the breeder and looking at the puppies and he showed me 10 different puppies and explained why this guy or one other was the way to go for show. He even showed me how to stack the little guy and explained that with any show quality puppies they have, their kids (all of whom show dogs) practice stacking the puppies from 6 weeks of age so as long as I keep up with it this little one should stay used to it. He is only 10 weeks so I know there's no guarantee, but they've been breeding for 14 years and this little boy is from a repeat breeding that in the past produced a champion and a pup that could've been one =) All I can do is hope I guess...at least the guy wasn't CRAZZZYY! ;-) He also did *not* charge me an arm and a leg for him. Just pet price + $200 for full reg. I really think this pup will be a good place to start.

I am going to make my own baby food, that's a great idea. I used to help my mom with that when I was younger as I'm one of 7 kids lol. She froze hers into ice cube trays after. I just needed a quick fix to get me through and someone had mentioned babyfood. I seriously can't believe how bonkers he went for the baby food though. Oakley and Trigger wanted some too, hah. I also really like that since his tummy will be used to the boiled chicken it will be easier on his tummy if I use that to bait with.

Baby food is fine for them :) I use it in a some of my treat recipes :). My pups love it.
You should share some of those treat recipes...it would be fun to make treats for my babies ;)

This is another staple at my house. The little tiny jars of Gerber Chicken baby food. The label says, Chicken, with Chicken Gravy (very small print). I used it for them as young pups, and still use it when mine get upset tummies.
That's exactly what I got. I got the chicken, and the turkey one. I also got one that was turkey and sweet potato but may not use it, only got one jar. So you figure one teaspoon a few meals a day is OK right? Like LiMarChis suggested, I will most likely make my own and freeze it, but in a pinch, these will do I'm guessing?

Brody is a huge fan of baby food too. :) I always have several jars on hand.

I got Beech Nut brand last time. It's ingredients didn't have the cornstarch. Just chicken and chicken broth. That's all.
I'm gonna hafta track down the beech nut brand. One downfall of living in Durango is everything's smaller including our grocery stores. We have a wal*mart though so I will have to try there after work tonight.

I'm so excited that this most likely will be OK. His poos have been firm (not solid, but firm enough), and he's been drinking water and eating every meal. I was seriously so nervous when I realized he was hypoglycemic. Its one of those things I'd read about and knew what to do but it was weird to actually have to do it. He's a little firecracker, and the others are warming up to him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts