Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took Brandi, Pepe' and Bouncer to the vets. Brandi checked out perfect and she got her first set of puppy shots. Bouncer tried to eat the vet and the technician, so they had to muzzle him and take him in the hall to give him his rabies. The vet wasn't able to do any exam on him, he was just too strong and freaked out. When I take him by myself, he's fine. But I think he was thinking he was protecting his human, my daughter, from the big bad vet. She has never socialized him or done anything with him and it shows.

Pepe' was next. He got his nails trimmed and screamed bloody murder, but they got them down really well. He is about 3 years old and weighs 4 pounds 1.5 oz. They just fell in love with his outrageous underbite. lol He does have grade 3 LP in his left rear leg, the other one is perfect. *sigh* So now I guess I start pricing surgery for him. The vet there said it would be $2,000 to $3,000 if I get it done there. I am going to call around and see if there is anywhere that does it for less. Right now he is not in any pain, so I have the time to research all my options.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Aww poor Pepe. =( Hopefully you're able to find a more affordable vet to do the operation. I'd suggest posting on Craigslist asking for any low-priced vets in the area; when Julian had to have his heart surgery I posted on there and got SO many recommendations from nearby (and some a few hours away) veterinarians that were lots lower priced than what I was quoted. It was still around $1000 but everywhere else quoted me between $2500-$4000, so I can't complain lol! Good luck!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
poor Pepe....hopefully he won't need and surgery for a long time. if ever.....I think he is adorable...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Glad 2/3 were able to be checked out :) Pepe must feel soooo much better with his nails done! I'm in love with his underbite too, gives his sweet little face character. Does he definitely need surgery? How is he getting around on it? If so hopefully someone will cut you a break as you're a rescue not a private owner. If it were me I'd get a second opinion on whether his is a surgical case.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad 2/3 were able to be checked out :) Pepe must feel soooo much better with his nails done! I'm in love with his underbite too, gives his sweet little face character. Does he definitely need surgery? How is he getting around on it? If so hopefully someone will cut you a break as you're a rescue not a private owner. If it were me I'd get a second opinion on whether his is a surgical case.
Well, she did say he's so small and not showing any pain, he might not need the surgery. I could tell there was something wrong watching him walk and he does a little skip every once in a while and holds it up until the patella goes back into place, but never let's on that it hurts. But I read if it's not corrected while he's young it might cause pain and arthritis later in life, and I sure don't want that.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aww poor Pepe. =( Hopefully you're able to find a more affordable vet to do the operation. I'd suggest posting on Craigslist asking for any low-priced vets in the area; when Julian had to have his heart surgery I posted on there and got SO many recommendations from nearby (and some a few hours away) veterinarians that were lots lower priced than what I was quoted. It was still around $1000 but everywhere else quoted me between $2500-$4000, so I can't complain lol! Good luck!
Thats a great idea! Thank you, I will ask on craigslist and hopefully one can be found.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
poor Pepe....hopefully he won't need and surgery for a long time. if ever.....I think he is adorable...
Thank you, he's so sweet and loving, I have no idea why anyone would have left him go and not try to look for him.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
You probably know this, but meanwhile you can start him on glucosamine and chondroitin, and keep him really slim, it'll help a lot.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I already supplement all my dog with glucosamine and chondroitin as I have so many with orthopedic problems. It's a powder that goes over their food as the chews weren't cutting it for Twiggy or Tico, they just couldn't chew them. And he really needs to gain a little weight, but I will make sure it's not too much.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
A powder? Interesting, I never tried. I use liquid form, and the dogs don't seem
to mind the taste, I just add a bit to their meals. Do you buy the regular human
kind or special for dogs? I buy the same stuff as for me since I need it too.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Well, she did say he's so small and not showing any pain, he might not need the surgery. I could tell there was something wrong watching him walk and he does a little skip every once in a while and holds it up until the patella goes back into place, but never let's on that it hurts. But I read if it's not corrected while he's young it might cause pain and arthritis later in life, and I sure don't want that.
Thats great that it isnt bothering him much, hopefully he wont need it. Its a tough surgery and a long recovery for them. Maybe post a thread on here, I know several people have had the surgery for their chis. From what I hear they will DEFINITELY have problems with arthritis in the joint with the surgery, hopefully your vet and the people here who have dealt with it can suggest alternatives that you can try first. I would do surgery as a last resort.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Everytime I see a "back from the vet" post from Pam...I wonder what now ? There is always so much going on there. I am glad that Pepe behaved and that his nails are done and one leg is okay..oh boy...thank be to God you are so level headed...lesser people couldn't do what you do . !! I just love reading about your pack !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts