Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get horrible back spasms only at night time. Anyone else have this problem? I've tried things to relieve it but nothing seems to help!!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Aww Missy, I'm sorry to hear that. How "horrible" are they? Hospital level?
Hubby has to call an ambulance when I get mine, it's that bad. I get morphine.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No not hospital type, not really painful just very annoying!! Can't sleep! I'm doing back exercises but haven't helped yet! Been to docs but they just want to drug me lol!!

I did buy a mattress pad topper and it seems to help a little.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You might want to try sleeping with your legs propped up on a pillow to releave back pressure. You'd have to do it for a few days to see if it helps. A good exercise for you back is moving in a circular direction like you have a hula hoop.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Aww Missy, I'm sorry to hear that. How "horrible" are they? Hospital level?
Hubby has to call an ambulance when I get mine, it's that bad. I get morphine.
LS - you sound like my mum. She has damaged nerves in her back from 2 car accidents and is on morphene daily. She also has a treatment where they kill off her nerve endings with laser and they take months to regenerate so this has meant that she has been able to reduce her meds and manage her pain better. She is still in constant pain though and has to walk with a cane at only 60 which is sad.

Missy do you get physiotherapy? My mum has it twice weekly and could not do without it. She has also tried accupuncture with some success. She does hydrotherapy twice weekly too which she loves (I think for the social occasion as much as anything). Reformer pilates may also be good for you. A lot of back issues are the result of a lack of core strength so improving that can only help.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Have you had an MRI? That could tell a lot of what is going on. I am having severe shoulder and neck pain and spasms and the MRI showed so many things wrong with that area, I have 2 herniated disks, reverse curve of my neck, severe arthritis in my shoulder and several other things i can not pronounce. My pain is so bad when it flairs up every 2 weeks for 4-5 days at a time that i am now on disability, and pain killers.
So, maybe see your doc and ask for an MRI?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do sometimes, I either put a pillow under my knees or a very small rolled pillow in the small of my back and that seems to really help. And I bought a new mattress and that was a life saver.
I'm going to try pillow in my back! Never thought of that! We have a good matress but it's a bit on the stuff side so bought an egg crate pad.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
What about a heating pad? Like one u plug in I have severe back problems at times and I have to go to massage therapy a few times a month and they recommend a heating pad I also use A535 and medication BUT I'm not a medication taker I'll suffer to the very last second of toleration before I pop a pill lol

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about a heating pad? Like one u plug in I have severe back problems at times and I have to go to massage therapy a few times a month and they recommend a heating pad I also use A535 and medication BUT I'm not a medication taker I'll suffer to the very last second of toleration before I pop a pill lol
I do use a hearing pad, most of the time it help!

What's A535?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I know you weren't really interested in medicine, but have you taken a muscle relaxer? There are mild ones that won't knock you out. I have a muscle in my back that gets really tight that it pulls on one of my vertebra. I go a while without trouble but sometimes after helping patients at work get up and down it helps me a lot.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hurt my back terribly landscaping a few weeks ago. And I'm a bullhead that doesn't like to doctor so my childcare provider whose husband has had several back surgeries whipped out her bottle of Horse Linament. Which folks at the office laughed, and made jokes, drew pictures ~ the whole 9 yards but until I got to the orthopedic it got me through. They have it at Tractor Supply and I believe pet stores as well as drug stores. I know you said you aren't pained but it might just work it's way in there and ease those spasms. I am no doctor so you will want to check to make sure it's safe, but I am not a person who likes pills (to the shock of anyone who knows me, I was a wild teenager!) but I felt comfortable using it and it really helped, especially at night when discomfort always seems worse.

They also make those sticky things that you buy over the counter that are supposed to help. I was going to buy those the night she passed the linament and I didn't need to, because the juice worked. I have herniated discs in my my lower so I am now a pill popper, but I have the linament on hand and will always make sure I have a supply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts