Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im new to the forum and happy to be here

i have 2 male Chi´s

one is 2 months and the other one is 3 months.
During the night time they sleep inside the house, each one has his bed and toys.

During the day they spend their time on the backyard, from 7am to 7pm, although they get their morning food 6:30am, midday 1:00pm and night around 6:30 and after they poop they come inside the house

the problem is that every morning i wake up i always find 2 poops and 2 pees, one for each dog, they sleep very close to the OPENED door of the backyard, but they never go outside if they are inside the house!!

we have been trying this for almost 3 weeks and no luck, every time they poop outside or pee we give them a treat and when they poop or pee inside they get yelled at and immedeatly taken out to backyard ( only if we actually catch them in the act) and closed door

is this correct? does it take more time? should i try another way?
strange thing is that they spend 80% of their time outside and they poop almost every time on the same spot, but no luck when they are inside

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would be very afraid to leave my chis outside ALL day and unsupervised. A hawk would pick them up and kill them in a heartbeat. Also, I would be sooo worried about losing them. I would be using a piddle pad in the house and those babies would be inside 24/7.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i think they dont know how to use the door yet, they dont know that they can go outside, much less in the night, consider crate training until they learn how to go outside, i also would NEVER leave them outside

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Eek! Too tiny to be left outside alone! You're right to correct them when you catch them in the act, but yelling at them isn't going to get you anywhere. A stern "no", or your preferred word would work, as well as bringing them to the spot you expect them to go. I'm not sure if you let them have fun run of the house when they're inside, but if you do, you should consider limiting their space. At night, it will really speed up the process if they're in a crate. The crate should have enough room for them to sleep comfortably, and stretch their legs. However, your little guys are still babies! Even in a crate at night, they're probably going to need to be let out to go. When we first welcomed Odie in our home, we wanted to continue with her crate at night since it was her "safe place", but that meant waking up every 2 hours to give her a chance to go to the bathroom.

Even with perfect guidance they're bound to have an accident or two until they learn. You need to really watch them closely, and make sure anytime there's an accident that the floor is cleaned with cleaner that's meant to completely remove organic matter. It will take time and patience!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont get me wrong guys i do understand that they are just babies

i should have probably explained what my back yard looks like:
its actually not a backyard, its just a small patio on the back part of my apt

its about 3 meters x 8 meters, half it has roof and the parts that dot have roof are covered by 2 big trees, so they have shadow almost on 80% of the part that doesnt have a roof

believe me they are not unhappy dogs, they are very happy, and they are in this area from 7am to 12:00 noon when they eat lunch they are able to go insisde tha apt, then when i go back to work or my wife does, we take the food away after they eat and leave them on the patio again, in the patio they have a third bed which is only left outside under the roof and shadow

around 6:00 pm they get dinner and are left inside the apt until next day at 7 am when i leave to work

i would think of the patio like a big crate most of the times when they are in the apt, they go outside bythemselves and go poop or pee, (the poop it not happening inside that much, but they sure pee anywhere inside, they are told a strong NO and taken to patio and left outside for a whileuntil they stop crying and then they are left back insside

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another thing is that my home right now is central america only 2 seasons, winter and summer

we are in summer right now and its not even close to cold 26 degrees celcius, and 60% humiditty. they have water all day since i refill it at noon

i heard chihuahuas get cold very easlily

other animals maybe threats to small dogs like chihuahuas, in the are were i live there is only doves, and small birds, never seen any cats

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You can't housetrain a puppy like that, simply put.

You have to confine them to a small area when you can't be watching them. It sounds like they have free run of the house at night??? If they were crated, they usually will not go inside their crate. Initially, a crate should be big enough for bedding and that's about it.

Is the balcony your 'back yard', or do you actually have a yard to take them to? If you don't have a yard, perhaps you should consider puppy pad training them.

And I agree, yelling at them isn't going to do anything to help you get them to where you want them to be. It's only going to make them nervous and timid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can't housetrain a puppy like that, simply put.

You have to confine them to a small area when you can't be watching them. It sounds like they have free run of the house at night??? If they were crated, they usually will not go inside their crate. Initially, a crate should be big enough for bedding and that's about it.

Is the balcony your 'back yard', or do you actually have a yard to take them to? If you don't have a yard, perhaps you should consider puppy pad training them.

And I agree, yelling at them isn't going to do anything to help you get them to where you want them to be. It's only going to make them nervous and timid.
ok so when i let them inside the house i should create a small area were their beds are so that they dont run around the house? at night when they are in the house they should only poop and pee like beside their beds?

i live in a first floor apt, so it has a small patio 3*8 meters has grass a tree and probably 10 diferent flowers and plants, for right now 80% of the times even if they are inside the apt they go outside by themselves and poop and pee, then sometimes accidents happen and they go on the matress or the floor.

the thing is that we dont want them to be pooping or peeing inside the house , and we want them to get used to doing this on the patio were there is grass and we can easily use a hose to wash it off.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
You also have to consider how often small puppies like this have to go out. When we first got our Jaxx he was 5 months old and we made sure he went outside every 4 hours. From what I have read when they are small it is approximately 1 hour for every month that they are so your chis need to go outside every 2 and 3 hours. It is not the most easy experience but we spent a lot of nights getting up in the middle of night to take Jaxx outside but in the end it was worth it. I compared it to feedings for babies. I agree it sounds like they do not understand they can get outside by themselves and more than likely it is going to take some work to train them to understand unless they get curious and figure it out. They also need to understand that inside the house is not the place to do their business and crate training or limiting their area to a very small area (with like a playpen or something similar) is a good way to do that but that also means that you are still going to have to get up in the middle of the night to take them out unless you use peepads. I personally do not use peepads except on rare occasions we have to be away for 8 hours and did not use them much for Jaxx because I did not want him to have retrain him not to pee in the house but peepads work great for a lot of people and might be a good option for you at least until they are older can hold their "necessities" longer.
Training a dog is not an easy thing to do but with repetitive actions and making sure not to do negative actions toward the dog it can be done.
I also have a patio like you are explaining on my apartment but personally I would never leave Jaxx out alone on the patio because at 3.4 pounds he is so little that he cannot protect himself from much. When we have to be away for 8 hours or more we setup a small area in the bathroom on a tile floor with toys, food, water, and his bed in one corner and a peepad in the other. We have only had to do this once but it works great for us.
The first few months of a puppies life and the training involved is not easy but these dogs are precious and they are worth the effort to make sure they grow up to be happy and healthy animals physically and emotionally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to tell you the truth guys , we love our dogs but we actually dont have the time to be waking up in the middle of the night to check if they want to go pee or poop, eventhough they do inside the apt. hehehhehe :)

we also have a 3 year old girl that needs much attention, and have a job from monday-sat 7 am 5pm

and lately ive been making sometime to check on my our puppies at lunch time and feed them and play with them.

so the only idea i could think of is to have my patio cleaned and taken care of so that our 2 chis are confortable and have everything they need.

if we left them inside the apt with open patio door most of the times they go inside , so we would find 4 poops at least and 5 pees or 6

believe me i did it for a couple of months training both of them to pee and poop on a doggy diaper or pads (dont know if you called ut that way) but they only did it when we are in in the apt, since most of the time we are not there we are not able to show them all the time were they are suppose to do.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
It does sound like you're busy, but you have to understand that your dogs will never be trained if you continue doing what you're doing now. Since they're "free" in your house at night, and don't have anyone telling them what's expected of them, they're going to go on your floor. Why wouldn't they? They're outside all day, and go to the bathroom out there, but it's not because they know that's where you want them to go. It's because they're in that space, and that's exactly what they do when they're in your house too. Don't put them in a crate overnight if you're not going to have time to give them a chance to go in the middle of the night, because holding it all night is something they have to work up to.

Could you buy a dog pen and make it only big enough to hold a crate and water (and food if you're free feeding) on one side and a pee pad on the other? Dogs naturally don't want to go where they sleep. We did this when Odie got a bit bigger, when we had to leave for a couple of hours. It worked great. If you do this, you should also be putting pee pads outside too. Consistency really is key if you want them to be 100% trained.

You can't keep them in the play pen all day and night though. They need a lot of time out of the pens. When they're not in the play pen, you have to watch them CONSTANTLY, and move them to a pee pad as soon as you see them sniffing around for a spot. Before you leave the house, make sure they have tons of exercise and are tired right out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It does sound like you're busy, but you have to understand that your dogs will never be trained if you continue doing what you're doing now. Since they're "free" in your house at night, and don't have anyone telling them what's expected of them, they're going to go on your floor. Why wouldn't they? They're outside all day, and go to the bathroom out there, but it's not because they know that's where you want them to go. It's because they're in that space, and that's exactly what they do when they're in your house too. Don't put them in a crate overnight if you're not going to have time to give them a chance to go in the middle of the night, because holding it all night is something they have to work up to.

Could you buy a dog pen and make it only big enough to hold a crate and water (and food if you're free feeding) on one side and a pee pad on the other? Dogs naturally don't want to go where they sleep. We did this when Odie got a bit bigger, when we had to leave for a couple of hours. It worked great. If you do this, you should also be putting pee pads outside too. Consistency really is key if you want them to be 100% trained.

You can't keep them in the play pen all day and night though. They need a lot of time out of the pens. When they're not in the play pen, you have to watch them CONSTANTLY, and move them to a pee pad as soon as you see them sniffing around for a spot. Before you leave the house, make sure they have tons of exercise and are tired right out.

so is it ok if I install a dog pen inside the apartment when they are sleeping in their beds at night with water and a pee pad?

and during the day can they be put on the patio as always when we are not home?

and actually its not that we leave them alone all day, i actully go home at lunch to feed them and play with them

and at night they eat dinner at 6pm and then they just play around with each other or my little girl

around 6pm to 7 pm when my wife or myself get home we let them inside the apt, should we put them inside the apt directly to the dogpen ?

or should we put them on the dog pen until we got to sleep?

i do understand the nature of training them with a dogpen or smaller area than the whole apt, BUT how will my puppys learn to poop and pee in the patio, if they are crated inside the apt at night? wont they get confused and think they can poop and pee inside the apt and also in the patio?

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Sorry, somehow I missed that you only want them to go outside. Yes, you're absolutely right. If you are putting them in a play pen during the day, with a pee pad, they'll think it's okay to go on it inside your house. If you don't want them to use pee pads, then don't use them at all. It will only confuse them.

If your goal in the end of all of this is to have them only go outside, you're going to have to change your game plan. They say a 2 month old puppy ideally should be offered their spot to pee every half an hour, until you get a hang of when they need to go. A 2 month old puppy WILL need to go during the night. If you don't want to use pee pads, and you do want to crate train, you'll have to get up during the night. There's no way around it, until they can hold it longer. At 2-3 months, Odie would get up every 2-3 hours during the night. We put her crate beside our bed, and would wake up when she would whine and let her out to do her business. During this time, there's no playing or even talking except to praise for going in the right spot, and then it's right back to bed. Odie's crate was just big enough for her to stand up in and stretch her legs, and have a drink of water. Since we free-feed, (and she was a tiny girl at that time) we made sure she also had access to some food.

Yes, it sucked. I was taking 5 heavy duty university classes at the time, was working, and I was totally deprived of sleep. But it seemed like not too long before we woke up in the morning and realized she had slept through the whole night. It really is worth it in the end, and it's just kind of the price you have to pay for getting a young puppy.

As for leaving them outside... I can't help but be opposed to that idea, but it's true that we don't really know what this patio space is like. I personally would never leave Odie outside. The fact that you go home on your lunch to play with them is great. Before long, you'll notice that if you tire them out before you leave that they'll just sleep until you return home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
its been alot of help i and i will post more the outcomes :)

at night since i explained before they sleep inside and each one has their bed, they sleep very close to the open door from the patio so SOMETIMES im pretty sure they can smell theyre own poop so they go outside, so they actually undersatdn sometimes were they need to poop or pee.....

im pretty sure they will get used to this with time that when they want to pee or poo defenetly they will go in the patio even if takes alot of time...

like in how much time do you thisnk 2 chis can get used to going by themselves out the open door patio and do their necesites???

ive seen some quotes ffrom others helping statin they will never get used to going outside like that....

but im pretty sure that after some motnhs of spending most of their days PLAYING, EATING, POOPING and PEEIng on the patio they will defenetly know thats were they need to go

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would make sure they are indoors in the winter, or in a heated area, or something. I do understand that standards for care are different in other countries/regions, but your Chis can and will get cold in the winter.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
believe me i did it for a couple of months training both of them to pee and poop on a doggy diaper or pads (dont know if you called ut that way) but they only did it when we are in in the apt, since most of the time we are not there we are not able to show them all the time were they are suppose to do.
Goodness...How young were they when you got them if you've been training them for 2 months and they are only 2 and 3 months old now???

Actually, crate training is what I was referring to in my earlier post. Most dogs will NOT eliminate where they sleep, and if they are taken out on a regular schedule, they will eventually be trained. And, you don't let them run loose in the house at any time unless you're watching them or have them tethered to you...

But these two are so very young, and with your work schedule, I'm not sure crate training would work. They don't have the ability to 'hold it' to wait for you.

I don't blame you for not wanting to use puppy pads, but I'm just not sure you're going to get very far with them at this young age the way you're doing it.

My two young ones are crated during the day while we're at work, but my husband comes home at lunch every day and lets them out to potty. (They are 7 months and 20 months old.) The youngest one has been crated since he was 10 weeks. We had him completely housebroken (to go outside) within 2 weeks. Having the older dogs around helped, I'm sure, but I'm a firm believer in crate training. They also sleep in the crate at night while we're asleep, for their own protection. I don't want them chewing into a wire or something like that.

The crate has a bed for each of them, and their blankets that they like to snuggle under. There is nothing else in there, and they've never pottied inside the crate...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would make sure they are indoors in the winter, or in a heated area, or something. I do understand that standards for care are different in other countries/regions, but your Chis can and will get cold in the winter.

totally understand what you mean and we are always very careful with our puppys

ive had a husky and a german sheppard before ( not quite the same )

i don understand the careness that chihuahua need, and ITS NOT a country standard that if i live in central america dogs or chis will taken less care for :(

over here we only have winter and summer and basically winter is rain , and it fdoes get cold.

the patio is watered twice a day so that the puppys dont have a hot, or hummid ground were thet rest or eat or play, they have their fresh water changed every 2 times a day and have a third bed in a shadow and 2 pee pads :), and toys

if ots to hot they are taken inside, if its to cold , same although this tdoesnt happen here for much time
if its hot its going to be one or 2 days not, 2 or 3 months :cool:

but thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
OUTSIDE ALL DAY!!!??? , Sorry but i couldnt do that! , its not safe people would easily take them! , but im in the same prob as you except mine is 7 months! :( i got her after 3 years of begging my mum! and 2 weeks after getting her , i ended up with under active thyroid , so i had no energy for about the last 5 months and so for bout a month and a bit ive been trying to train her :( anyone know how i can? my garden is a long way away from my house , i have to go down steps , throw a gate , up a long path and then in the garden and also theres LOADS of thorns that i cant cut down (Thanks to my horribal neigbourghs how throw there weeds ect. onto our path , cause thorns :() so idealy i need it for indoor training? also as my chi wont do it now my collie wont either :( (shes 5 next month) i feel v guilty and think its my fault , i tried but once i was found collapsed outside , from obvoisly taking her to the toilet and being v ill :( so any tips?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts