Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dontknow: Why is puppy breath so darn stinky? Is there anything that helps? Porsha always wants to be right in my face it seems like and i cant stand the smell of her breath. I have tried milk bones and they dont work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
I had that problem with Lady greenies didnt even help turned out she had a tooth that was on its way out once the tooth came out the odor went away
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
Teething puppies have bad breath essentially since there is dying tissue around the roots of the juvenille teeth. Rotting flesh = BLECH! The smell usually subsides when all the adult teeth have come on.

In terms of making the puppy teeth smell better...not sure? Besides encouraging teething by giving chews, and making sure the deciduous teeth are out properly will be the surefire way. Also avoid wet foods, as they will sit in the mouth and decay, creating more bad breath!

If your adult dog has halitosis, dental disease would be the first thing to check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Have you tried brushing Porshas teeth? Peanut sometimes has smelly breath and after I brush his teeth they smell very nice!
Well i mean as nice as a dogs breath can smell :lol:

Yael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
At what age can you start brushing a chi's teeth? I wanted to get Dixie used to the routine. She's 4 months and 1 week now.

Did anyone get the Hartz puppy pack? There's like a sample of breath strips in it for dogs! Crazy stuff... Did any of you try that with your dog?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
I would suggest brushing your chi's teeth as early as possible. The sooner they get used to the brush, the easier it will be in the future. Now, in the beginning there may not be much to brush =) And be gentle, baby teeth are fragile and the gums are easy to bruise. Make sure you use a product that is recommended by your vet to ensure the chemicals in the paste are safe for your puppy.

I'm not a big fan of anything made by Hartz, and there are various reasons. Anything that has to do with my dog's health I will buy from a vet, or only buy after it has been recommended by one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
ilovesadie said:
I would suggest brushing your chi's teeth as early as possible. The sooner they get used to the brush, the easier it will be in the future. Now, in the beginning there may not be much to brush =) And be gentle, baby teeth are fragile and the gums are easy to bruise. Make sure you use a product that is recommended by your vet to ensure the chemicals in the paste are safe for your puppy.

I'm not a big fan of anything made by Hartz, and there are various reasons. Anything that has to do with my dog's health I will buy from a vet, or only buy after it has been recommended by one.
Thank you for the advice! Yeah, I haven't even opened the strips. I figured it would be way better to brush her teeth instead. Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,716 Posts
MsStephanie said:
ilovesadie said:
I would suggest brushing your chi's teeth as early as possible. The sooner they get used to the brush, the easier it will be in the future. Now, in the beginning there may not be much to brush =) And be gentle, baby teeth are fragile and the gums are easy to bruise. Make sure you use a product that is recommended by your vet to ensure the chemicals in the paste are safe for your puppy.

I'm not a big fan of anything made by Hartz, and there are various reasons. Anything that has to do with my dog's health I will buy from a vet, or only buy after it has been recommended by one.
Thank you for the advice! Yeah, I haven't even opened the strips. I figured it would be way better to brush her teeth instead. Thanks again!
i got that pack to and i tried the strips first, they were hot! i was reaching for a glass of water soon as it hit my tongue. mint overlode! i wouldn't use them on my dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Porsha is 9 weeks old. I will try brushing her teeth. i guess theres a dog toothpaste? i'll look at walmart. what are greenies? its funny my husband likes puppy breath he says it doesnt bother him at all. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
porshas_momma said:
its funny my husband likes puppy breath he says it doesnt bother him at all. :roll:
Haha.. That's funny... I know this sounds weird, but I like to smell Dixie's ears and the bottoms of her feet...haha .. Sorry, I am a dork..

:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
lol!
bad pup breath is the WORST!! my friends pup used to make we wretch! :shock:

I'm lucky, Minka has lovely breath!!
in fact her whole body smells nice...
Most of my friends have said she smells of Popcorn/Cookies/and hot butter toast!!!! and thats just my friends!

Love n hugs
:angel1:
Sydney and a very nice smelling Minka xXx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
I think I started brushing gadget's teeeth around 3 months... He loves it.. Alll I have to do is say "Do you want to brush your teeth?" and he gets really excited. He will sit there and open his mouth for me to brush his teeth.. I always give him a few seconds to lick his ttoth paste and then I brush and then I give him a few seconds to lick again.. I usually brush his teeth for about 10 minutes and then he's done...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
Greenies is a form of a chew that is used to make there breath smell fresh an clean teeth im not sure about the cleaning. my dogs lovem and their breath smells minty fresh lol. but make sure it isnt a gum of tooth issue usually if it is no matter what you use the breath will continue to smell. or it can also be what they are eating. Dogs can also get nasty odor in their skin from foods
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Oh man do I feel for you Porscha, Seiah's breathe has been unbareable lately. I'm hoping its the dead tissue thing, he wasn't always like this. I've tried breathe mints to brushing, and nothing helps. It's so sad, he always wants to like my face, and I have to hold my breathe so I don't smell it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
porshas_momma said:
what are you guys using to brush there teeth? Regular toothbrush or a special kind? whats the brand of toothpaste?
There's toothpaste just for dogs and special brushes. Like Nate said, ask your vet about the toothbrush/paste. I'll be doing the same :wave:
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top