Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunny has proven he is as sneaky as he is cute. whats th best way to reprimand? I dont send him to his kennel necouse I dont want that to become something for him to fear.

What he did- I keep a barbie that all its joints move as a referance tool for drawing poses. All evening hes wanted that doll. I geve him 2 floppyfrisbees, a pluch fox,monkey a till stuffed deer amd 2 chewies. That little snot waited til I was out og the room and he grabbed the doll and was in the process of hiding it when I got back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
Sometimes you just have to keep stuff up where you know they can't get to it.

If it's a particular item they are constantly going after you could try this:

Put his harness and leash on.
Put the item on the floor.
When he goes over to the item give him a quick tug on the leash and tell him "leave it"
Repeat this several times.
You can give him a treat when he doesn't go after the item.
Sniffing the item is ok, just don't let him grab it or pick it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I feel your pain!

Thank goodness Nina is as cute as she is. Her annoying habit is somewhat embarassing. She has a thing for my daughter and my underwear and has destroyed at least a dozen pairs.

We reprimanded her, but now have finally accepted that if they can be reached, she is going to get them, so now the hampers are all lidded, and it is a good incentive for my daughter to keep her clothes off her floor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
LOL

My female Rottie used to chew the toes off of my kids white socks. Never the colored ones.
My youngest is 21 now and doesn't live here anymore, but the kids would not put their socks in the hamper.
When they were older I told them if they ran out of socks to go buy their own!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Ms P -- wow you must have some well-trained babies -- you know what you are talking about training-wise! And I agree -- teaching the "leave it" command is a good idea.
We used to have a cat (his name was Ugly, not because he wasn't beautiful, but because he was a little sh*t!) who loved tampons -- not the used ones (those get flushed!!) but the new ones out of the packaging...he thought they were mice toys! This was when my sister and I were both teens and of course, he would wait til one or both of us had a guy friend over to come out of the bathroom with one dangling from his mouth by the string. :oops: LOL -- it took us about 2 weeks and a few gallons of water in squirt guns to teach that cat the "leave it" command, but we finally did!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
Litoris,

LOL isn't that always the way!

My girls are not really well trained, they trained me LOL.
I used to watch all those shows on animal planet about training your dogs, and when I was younger I read a lot about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,920 Posts
Aren't they funny. Auggie has a tons of toys. But last week I noticed his bunny has a slight tear that needs stitching so I set it on the coffee table until I could get to it. He kept going to where it is and standing up on the table trying to get it like it was the only toy he had. I had to hide it until I sew it up :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
momtonina said:
I feel your pain!

Thank goodness Nina is as cute as she is. Her annoying habit is somewhat embarassing. She has a thing for my daughter and my underwear and has destroyed at least a dozen pairs.
Sadie and Ritz are the same way!! Sadie even gets them out of the hamper!! I'll come home and theres underwear all over my living room with holes chewed in them!! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
Poppy has a thing for one particular spot on our persian carpet...it is driving me insane!! I have tried squirting her, telling her off, screaming at her..to no avail. It has got so bad that there is a bald spot on the carpet! What can I do? She just will not stop digging at that one place! :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
Camilla King said:
Poppy has a thing for one particular spot on our persian carpet...it is driving me insane!! I have tried squirting her, telling her off, screaming at her..to no avail. It has got so bad that there is a bald spot on the carpet! What can I do? She just will not stop digging at that one place! :evil:
The only solution I have come up with for this is to put something on the spot that is too heavy for them to move. That way they can't get to it.
Hopefully in a few months they will forget how much fun it was chewing on it LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Camilla----have you tried the "Bitter Apple" spray? I got some at Pets MArt. It really works well. I had the same problem with Bruiser digging at one spot on my rug. I sprayed this stuff on there and he never went back! :D

sandra
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,059 Posts
Bitter Apple worked very well for my dogs.

Kylie has developed this nasty habbit of chewing on my moms kitchen chairs!!! :shock:

I would just try to keep everything out of your pups reach. Sometimes this is impossible to do.

When I was working with the obedience trainer we told them there were two stages of crate training....the first stage when we treat it as a reward and the second stage when the dog has accepted the crate as home and now we can use is as a time out.

The trick is never to "throw" the dog into the crate while you yell at it saying "bad dog" (not saying this is what anyone does...but it gives you a good idea why dogs would start to fear the create). You tell the dog "no" or whatever you say when your dog does something wrong and you pick your dog up and put it in the crate. Dont say anything, dont slam the door...this way they wont fear the crate, but they are still being punished by being away from you. Does this make sense?

I only suggest this because I do this with my dogs and at the end of the night they still willingly go into their crates for bed.

I think you can do timeouts with your chi (as long as you are still not in that first stage of crate training). Just do your repermanding away from the crate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
Ms_P said:
Camilla King said:
Poppy has a thing for one particular spot on our persian carpet...it is driving me insane!! I have tried squirting her, telling her off, screaming at her..to no avail. It has got so bad that there is a bald spot on the carpet! What can I do? She just will not stop digging at that one place! :evil:
The only solution I have come up with for this is to put something on the spot that is too heavy for them to move. That way they can't get to it.
Hopefully in a few months they will forget how much fun it was chewing on it LOL
Thanks for the suggestion....only problem is, it is ina place where it would look odd to have something there! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
sjc said:
Camilla----have you tried the "Bitter Apple" spray? I got some at Pets MArt. It really works well. I had the same problem with Bruiser digging at one spot on my rug. I sprayed this stuff on there and he never went back! :D

sandra
Yes Sandra, I would like to try that as I have heard it works..but I live in Beijing, I cant find it anywhere here. Is there an alternative?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top