Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know that my sister is crazy. For those that don't, here's a short recap on her:

She has called the Austin Police Department, claiming that I abuse Cooper (she doesn't complain about OmaKitty) at least 8 times in the last 2 1/2 years I've had Cooper. Every time, an officer and a SPCA rep have come to the house, found nothing and left. Her claims are that I make Cooper do things he doesn't want to do (i.e. sit, stay, come) and sleep in a small box (i.e. the kennel that's two sizes bigger than he probably needs). I don't feed him (i.e. making him sit before I put his food down) and I endanger his physical well-being on a daily basis (i.e. taking him to the coffee shop and letting him visit everyone). Oh... and I'm also guilty of neglect (i.e. not holding him in my lap constantly).

The SPCA has sent her 2 letters addressing the "problem" and, both times, they have stated they found nothing wrong and that "responsible pet ownership is not something they frown upon."

That paints a pretty good picture of the situation I'm dealing with.

Of course, the police have never found any reason to take her complaints seriously because, as you have all probably figured out, my main concern every single day is that both Cooper and OmaKitty are happy, healthy - both emotionally and physcially, and well-taken care of. (Additionally, the person from the SPCA that comes out is my "supervisor" at the shelter where I volunteer, so she has a personal knowledge of how I am with animals.)

Now the APD has filed charges against my sister, which most of you know as well. She is being charged with filing false reports, harassment and is being sued to compensate the APD for their time. Needless to say, she is absolutely furious about that.

Okay, I just got a call from my dad. He had spoken to my sister and she told him it was ME that was pressing charges against her. The APD suggested I do it but I decided against it to avoid family conflict. My dad was livid that I would do such a thing and, after explaining the entire situation to him, he calmed down and apologized.

However, he asked me to try to convince the police to drop the charges. I told him I couldn't do it because I don't blame them - they've used a lot of money and time, coming to my house to check out the reports (which they MUST do every time). He's concerned about my sister because she suffers from manic depression and gets quite low, even on medications. His concerns are valid, but I think she needs to learn that her actions have consequences AND that her claims against me are completely insane and will never be taken seriously by the authorities or anyone.

So now I'm torn, even though I know I won't interfere with the case against her. I feel sorry for my parents having to worry about her, etc. and I feel sorry for my sister that she actually thinks I abuse Cooper - but at the same time, I really want her to get in trouble for it.

By the way, I read the complaint against her and the police are suggesting any moneys recovered in the case beyond lawyers fees would be donated to different animal rescue organizations. So now, I REALLY want them to win.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
what a b*tch :evil: (sorry can i say that?) i wouldn't worry about it too much ....she had it coming !! i would laugh my socks off ....but i understand it's not pleasant for your parents.....but what for embarrasment did you have to endure :?

kisses nat

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
That must be really hard she's ur sister so u have those feelings but on the other and she is doing awfull things to you so you wanna punish her for that. Your parents must be really stuck in the middle on this one :? but i dont think u should be blamed for it atall.

God.. families who'd have 'em!! :roll:

Do what u think is right :wave:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just going to stay out of it as much as I can, although I've already been asked if I would testify on the APD's behalf and I said yes. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Wow, this bites !!! :twisted:

SO sorry you are going thru all this.... I know it must be hard. When ever we have family "issues" (usually between my Mom and brother) I tell them that I love them both but I am Neutral. I listen to their "side" and let them get it out... but try not to take sides! It's TOUGH!!

Hope it all turnes out ok for you and your family.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
If you were able to get them to drop the charges (and who says you'd be successful? There are public monies involved), you know in your heart of hearts that she would be at it again in no time, filing false charges, harrassing, etc. As you said, she needs to realize that actions have consequences.

I have sympathy for your parents but none whatsoever for ol' sis. :x

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
If you were able to get them to drop the charges (and who says you'd be successful? There are public monies involved), you know in your heart of hearts that she would be at it again in no time, filing false charges, harrassing, etc. As you said, she needs to realize that actions have consequences.

I have sympathy for your parents but none whatsoever for ol' sis. :x

I tend to think if she's punished she will more than likely stop so it's hard but it's probaly the best thing.I hope she get's the help she needs

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Cooper said:
I'm just going to stay out of it as much as I can, although I've already been asked if I would testify on the APD's behalf and I said yes. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

With your parents now knowing that you did not initiate the charges..your sister should have to learn one of lives hard lessons ...repercussions !

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Let it run it's course, she has to learn to take some responsibility for her actions and I seriously doubt you can stop it now anyway. They have a right to expect compensation for the people's time that was wasted on all these false reports.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jeez, that's a tough one. I completely understand your viewpoint and totally agree that your sister needs to accept the consequences of her actions. I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds to me as though what she really needs is some psychiatric help.

Being a parent myself with grown children, I can also sympathize with your parents. No matter what your child does or how old they are, they are still your child and the instinct is to try to protect them. I'm not saying it's right to protect them, just that it's parental instinct. I've had a couple of situations in the past with my son where I did everything I could to protect him. Did I do the right thing? I honestly don't know. What I do know is that he is now a fine young man of whom I am extremely proud. Who knows what the outcome would have been if I had done things differently?

I think what it boils down to is you have to do what you feel in your heart is right. In this instance, it seems that no matter what you chose to do someone is going to be upset with you. This is a no-win situation unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I agree with everyone else, let them do what they want with her. She has harrassed you several times by having these people come to your house with complaints of an abused Cooper, which is just ridiculous. I think she does need to be punished for what she has done to you and your parents should understand that. They should have been there for you as well and told her she was in the wrong, in the beginning.

I remember a few years back I too thought crate training was abuse. :oops: :oops: :oops: I had no idea that it was so helpful and beneficial to the dog. Then I did tons of reading on it and was pleasantly surprised on the positive ways it trains the dog.

·
Registered
58 Posts
geez, that's a tough one to deal with. is your sister completely delusional all the time or does she just go through periods of this? and she actually believes you abuse animals? i think you should send her a copy of your posts here.lol. i don't know what to say. is there any way your parents could convince her to get some inhouse treatment or something so they can find a better combo of medications to level her out? sorry about your day but at least the apd is able to see through your sister.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Sorry this must be hard for you. If she is not held responsible for her actions nothing will change and it sounds as if the grace time for her is over

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark - my sister has always been very easily swayed by other peoples' opinions. She changes her tune constantly in regards to her "moral ethics" - almost as much as her mood swings. These episodes from her are common, although she's usually complaining about the way I live my life and how I SHOULD be doing things. The addition of Cooper into the house was like striking gold for her and she has disagreed with everything I've done with him, including obedience training and assitance dog training. I've just learned to live with it.

Her opinion has never meant much to me at all but I know my parents are worried about her mental health ... and mine, since I'm the one that takes the brunt of her accusations. At least she's leaving them alone; I don't know if Mom could handle having my sis constantly berate her since Mom's MS has worsened in the last few years.

I'm just going to let the APD handle this and Dad has told my sis that he'll help her hire a lawyer but after that, he's out of it. So I guess she's on her own now, for the most part, and will have to deal with it. It's just going to make family life a little hectic until it's over. And, most likely, for a while afterwards.

The most important thing to me is that she's wrong, not that I ever thought I was a "bad" pet owner, but we all wonder if we could do better from one time to another. One of the most wonderful things to come out of this whole ordeal is that I have received "rave reviews" from the SPCA and APD for the way I'm raising these two. It's always nice to hear, especially when they're on your doorstep, responding to an abuse charge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts