Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, i put a few items up for auction on a site called sell diy..definitely not as popular as eBay, but I digress :)

Some guy bought my cable modem and the cords for it...and for one whole month we emailed each other back and forth, not making much progress. Turns out, he bought the item for a client of his.

Anywho, a couple weeks back i finally got an email saying the check was on the way, that made me happy.

Well, I'm still waiting for the check. I'm supposed to get a check from this guy's client..the check has a nice little amount on it..im then supposed to take my amount for the item and shipping costs and send the remaining amount to the guy.

I'm gradually losing hope that the check will ever even arrive, i already made plans as to what i would be spending a majority of the money.

*sigh*

anywho, just had to get that off my chest... :wave:

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
Well that sucks! :x I hope the check comes! :wink:

Was it coming from a place far away from you? Because it seems like it would have been there by now. If the buyer has any problem, you could ask him to ask the client if the check has cleared. :)

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the guy lives in africa and his client is originally from nigeria.

in an email i told him that if the check is in nigeria money, then the $5000 in their money will only come out to about $38 in us dollars..but the guy told me that his client is stationed or something here in the US..so im assumed the check is in US dollars.

*sigh* who knows!! :? :wink:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Umm, if I read this correctly, it sounds like a scam. Never, ever, take a check for more then the item is worth and send back the difference. The check is BAD and you will be out money. Have heard of that scam before. Apparently most of the "buyers" are from out of the country. :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
OMG!!! Not to be judgemental of the person who bought from you, but I have heard of a lot of scams coming out of Nigeria. I get spam e-mails all the time from someone claiming to be from Nigeria and he either 1) Has located a dead relative of mine from Nigeria who has left me 1 million dollars and wants me to send him money to transfer it to me (Yea, nice try...I have NO family from Nigeria, lol) or 2) The person needs help transfering money from Nigeria to the states.

Please be careful...scammers are ALL over and wouldn't hesitate to rip off anyone. My advice would to wait just one more week for the check and if it comes, cash it and don't send the item until the check clears, and if it doesn't arrive within the next week...e-mail the person and tell them to just forget the whole thing.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chico's Mama said:
My advice would to wait just one more week for the check and if it comes, cash it and don't send the item until the check clears, and if it doesn't arrive within the next week...e-mail the person and tell them to just forget the whole thing.
Thanks, I'll wait this week to see if the check comes and if it doesn't I'll tell that guy what you said, which is to forget it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Speak of the devil...look at the e-mail I just got:

GAUTENG PROVINCE JOHANNESBURG,
REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA.
TELE:27-83-969-10-88.
EMAIL;[email protected]

Dear DIRECTOR,

You may be surprised to receive this letter from me since you do not know me personally. I am MICHEAL ZULU, the first son of Mr. DOUGLAS ZULU,who was recently murdered in the land dispute in Zimbabwe.I got your contact through network online hence decided to write you.

Before the death of my father, he was a prosperous Tobacco and coffee farmer in Zimbabwe and a major supporter of the opposition party in Zimbabwe - Movement for Democratic Change(MDC), Because of his ardent belief in pure democracy he was murdered by the supporter of the ZANU led party under the direction of President Robert Mugabe on the 29th April 2002.Before his death on the 29th of April, he had taken me to Johannesburg South Africa to deposit the sum of US$10,000,000(TEN MILLION United States Dollars),in one of the private security and Trust companies, as if he foresaw the looming danger in Zimbabwe sequel to the new Land reform which was meant to collect farms and land previously owned by the white and few blacks majority.

This amount was meant for the purchase of new machines and chemicals for the farms and establishment of a new farm in Swaziland which my Father has just purchased.

It is against this background that, I and my family who are currently staying in South Africa have decided to transfer my father’s money to a foreign country since the law of South Africa prohibits refugees or political asylum seekers to open any bank account or to be involved in any financial investment in South Africa.

I consulted an Attorney who is high class lawyer who is going to assist us legally to transfer this money into your account, already the lawyer has seek an advice from one of the director in the Apex Bank of South Africa that is the South African Reserve Bank and the director advice that it is good that my foreign partner provide bank account for a HI-TCH-FREE transferring of this fund.

As the eldest son of my father,I am saddled with the responsibility of seeking a genuine foreign account or foreign business partner where this money could be transferred into or who can hold this money on trust for me pending when I shall come over for investment purpose.

I have two options for you, firstly you can choose to have certain percentage of the money for nominating your account for this transaction, Or you can go into partnership with me for the proper profitable investment of the money in your country. Which ever the option you want, feel free to notify me. I have also mapped out 5% of this money for all kinds of expenses we might incure in the process of this transaction. If you do not prefer a partnership I am willing to give you 20% of the money while the remaining 75% will remain for me and my family.

If you are realy capable and willing to assist me please contact me immediately with myprivate Tel,+27-83-969-10-88,or this e-mail address with which I have sent you this message.

Finally, please treat this matter as urgent as possible,and with every amount of confidentiality I am in dire need to leave this country soonest.
I advice that you send to me your personal phone/fax numbers for easy communication. Your positive reply will be blessing to us.
Thanks for your mutual co-operation.

Kind Regards,

MICHEAL ZULU.
(For the Family)
(27-83-969-10-88.)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Pismo said:
Umm, if I read this correctly, it sounds like a scam. Never, ever, take a check for more then the item is worth and send back the difference. The check is BAD and you will be out money. Have heard of that scam before. Apparently most of the "buyers" are from out of the country. :wave:
I've heard about this scam before, also. Hate to say this, but I fear you have been scammed. :cry:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have been posting furniture for sale in several local newspapers and a couple of websites and I have been getting the same thing. They write me emails from different email addresses asking to buy my furniture with a inside buyer and a cashiers check and all I have to do is send shipping info? I had an idea it was a scam so I just usually tell them, cash only and they will have to pick up furniture personally and then they never email back. I have probably gotten 25 of these emails in the last month and they are all dealing with people outside of the US. They never even want a picture of the merchandise so I think automatically this is fishy.

I hope its not a scam and you get your money:)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
chimom said:
Chico's Mom - I received a letter a few months ago almost identical to the one you posted. I read it through and was amazed that anyone would actually believe that garbage! But apparently, some poor souls do. :roll: :shock:
Well, this may sound very harsh of me to say, but I have no sympathy for people who fall into those e-mail scams. People should have enough common sense to realize that a total stranger is not going to give you a million dollars. People will do anything for the almighty dollar...scammers and victims alike.

I was listening to Howard Stern a few months back, and he tracked down a woman who was dumb enough to fall for one of those e-mail scams. He called her and pretended to be the guy who was transfering the money to her account. She said she had already wired them like $10,000...so Howard (still pretending to be the guy) said he'd need her to send another $5,000 for the transfer to go through. This woman was so gullible she said "ok, i'll send it." :laughing5: My husband and I were cracking up the whole time. I know I sound really mean, but it was to funny...if you don't think it's funny, then I guess you just had to be listening to it to get the total humor in it. (I think he did call her back and tell her the truth though, so she wouldn't send it, I'm not sure though.)

Littlehead: That person was most likely trying to scam you...so kudos to you for not falling for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts