Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just my luck....

I finally have my dream job (vet technician) and I have been working at the largest ER vet hospital in IL (so i was told) and everything is going great...till two weeks ago.

We had a dog come in infested in fleas. Now normally fleas dont bother people...just animals, but I noticed later that day that my skin was getting itchy. I didnt think much of it until a couple days later when I started to develop this rash. It went from my arms to my legs then to my back and stomach. I went to the doc after a week because it wasnt getting any better. She told me I was having an allergic reaction to some sort of bug bite and could only think of the fleas as the culprate...considering the timing and all.
It has been two weeks and still no releif. I had to wash EVERYTHING i had in hot water and treat my dogs just in case they were carring some fleas (which I know there not because i treat them with frontline every month). For some reason this wont go away. I look horrible...lol. Its just like having Chicken Pocks again.
I already used this cream that I had to put on my intire body and keep it on for 14hrs...yuck. That didnt work. I go back on Thursday to figure out whats next.

Now...ask me if I am going to quit my job.....not likely.I worked too darn hard to land me this job at this animal hospital and I am not going to let some stupid allergy to fleas stop me. But it would figure that I would be allergic to fleas seeing that my dream job has always been to work in the vet-setting. :roll:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I find it hard to believe that this may be the first time you have encountered fleas being in your line of biz PLUS I would think that the flea once bitten and gone would not continue to have this re-action for so long.........2 weeks is a long time......it must be something else. Try not to treat too much with "stuff" as inevitably you may cause another re-action making your solution seem farther away......

Do u normally have sensative skin? My holistic mind is working here :?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
did you come in contact with any mange?

i had ringworm once from my job but i still am in a field of work with animals. hope you get better soon. i hate being itchy!!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
That must really stink, I also have bad reactions to bug bites. But that is really weird how it is going throughout your entire body. Good luck on figuring out what it is.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
KJsChihuahuas said:
OMG Jess I am so sorry!!! Makes me itch just reading that!! I really hope everything works out!!! :wink:
im itching right now! i hate being itchy! im so sorry but are you sure its that 2 weeks is a long time - i thought about detergants and soaps maybe?

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
that's very strange !! i wouldn't immediately blame the fleas but do an allergy test ! 2 weeks is a long time ...or they were infected with some kind of disease ......
i hope you find out what's the matter ....

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
wow, that stinks! i hope you get better soon...and if it is the fleas, i know its very frustrating to deal with.

2 dogs i used to have got fleas and they ended up biting me and everyone in the house. flea bites do itch really bad, but 2 weeks is a long time :? its making me itch just thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You may have had an "Id reaction" to the just one flea bite, which is a type of rash some people get in reponse to an insect bite, etc. Was the cream for scabies ?(Elimite or something similar) That is the only topical I know of that is left on for 12 hours. It isn't uncommon for a rash or insect bite to last a couple weeks. Unless the doc gave you recommendations already (such as a prescription steroid cream), I would recommend an over the counter hydrocortisone cream twice daily. And use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer such as "Cetaphil" brand. I worked for a group of Dermatologists for many years, and saw every type of rash there is. (They are not just pimple poppers, lol) :)

Hope you get better soon. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
How awful I hate being itchy :x I had hives once that itched so bad I thought I would go crazy. I wanted to itch them till they hurt so they wouldn't itch. :roll: I hope you are rid of it very soon :wave:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I go back to the doc on Thursday so we will see. Nothing else has changed as far as soap and detergent or anything else...use the same stuff I have been using forever now, including lotions.
She was certain it was some reaction to an insect bite...I am highly allergic to mosquitoes and bees. She is thinking more along the lines of a spider bite instead of the fleas now...*shrug*....but like you said its been too long. I just hope its not something at work cause that would really stink. I never had any problem like this until i started working at the vet.

Was the cream for scabies ?(Elimite or something similar)
yes it was Elimite :D I dont know what its for but she told me to use it.

Well we shall see what she says Thursday. All I know is that 2wks is too long to be itchy and its gross

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Poor you, you have my sympathy! :( I've suffered from allergy rashes in the past, a couple of times really severe. More recently when I've had the more severe attacks antihistamines and cortisone ointments didn't help at all and I was prescribed prednisone tablets (which they prescribe for asthma) and it worked really quickly. Once too the doc did a skin scraping to be analysed, but that was OK. The second time I was prescribed the Prednisone the doctor did so before the rash got too bad and consequently I only needed it for a very short time. I hope you're over it soon.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well its good to know someone else has had a similar problem. I am thinking it has to do with some allergy I have. I know my doc said she would perscribe something else if this cream didnt work and it really didnt. I have also been using Hydrocortisone and that does nothing.
UCK!
Anyway thanks for sharing ur story

1 - 18 of 18 Posts