Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i don't know if any of you had read my last post but Gizzy had gotten sick for a couple of days. (vomiting) and stopped eating his food. So i had switched it over to a different one and mixed it with the old and he picked out all his old food and ate the new food. yay i thought. Hes eating. He hadn't ate anything for at least to days, or pooped. Anyway few days roll by, i get a poop and i think all is well. Until last night when he had vomited again. I thought this isn't good so i made a vet appointment this morning with him. 300$ later with some Blood work, and stool check out. He could possibly be in the stage of Liver disease. Doctor said it could just be something he might of gotten into,since the liver acts as a filter. So she gave me some medicine, and gave him a vet diet with wet and dry food. I have another visit in 2 weeks to see if it is better. He hasn't touched the food yet. So i had made some plain rice and boiled some chicken for him because he can't not eat. The vet even mentioned Cancer. i freaked out at that point. She said that, that is on the bottom of the list of what is wrong.

So i guess we sit and wait for our next appointment. If things are not better then more tests to see what it comes down too. I am worried, and couldn't concentrate at all at work today. I don't know what i am going to do if things don't get better. I can't keep affording 300$ vet visits.

Please keep us in your prayers.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oh no! I love little Gizzy -- I hope he just got into something somehow hun...keep your chin up. I hope no more $300 vet bills for you either.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh No! I am so sorry for this news. Does the vet have you giving Milk Thistle? It is great to 'detox' the liver.

Here is a link with tons of great info on Liver Disease, with supplements & diet information on it
DogAware.com Health: Liver Disease in Dogs
Oh thank you!! ive been searching around for a site with good information. The food my vet gave me he doesnt want to touch so im thinking of making him some kind of foods

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Oh thank you!! ive been searching around for a site with good information. The food my vet gave me he doesnt want to touch so im thinking of making him some kind of foods
If it's the Hill's l/d I don't think I've ever seen an animal eat it, we returned it so much when we carried their products. It is just not palatable.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this! I love little Gizmoe. I know how worried you must be. I've been through scary tests with pets too and they always give you the worst outcomes possible, to cover the bases, but it doesn't mean it will end up being the case. Try to stay positive, hon. I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts. Please keep us posted. x

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this news about Gizzy. :( He is such a precious Angel. I hope things start looking up for him, and you get some more positive news soon. We send our thoughts, prayers, and best wishes.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Im so sorry, you must be so worried. When Reese was sick a few weeks ago with a little tummy bug our vet wanted him on one of those Hill prescription foods but I didnt want to feed that to Reese so I asked if I could do boiled hamburger or chicken and rice and he said that was fine too. I would think if thats what hes happy eating you could keep that up until you know more. Ive heard that a lot of dogs refuse the hills prescription foods. Hope you get some answers and he is feeling much better by the next vet visit. Sending good thoughts your way!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I hate to hear this :-( I am sending prayers for him.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear this news. :( I'll be thinking of you guys & hoping for better news when you go back. I'd definitely look into a milk thistle med. That's what Marley was on when he had an elevated liver enzyme count before his neuter. In 2 weeks his count was normal after the milk thistle. We'll be thinking of you...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with the dogaware site (it's great) and also supplementing with milk thistle. I gave that to Brody while he was on prednisone to protect his liver from the large amounts he was getting for his eye problem. It worked beautifully.

If his liver enzymes were elevated during routine bloodwork (CBC), then I wouldn't worry TOO much. When you go back in 2 weeks, make sure that they do a FASTING bile acid test and that will tell you a lot more information on the status of his liver.

I will be thinking of you guys. I know how scary it is when our little guys are sick. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts