Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just got back from the vet with Kira, she was scheduled to be spayed but her blood work showed a problem with her liver function :(
She had a second test which has to be sent away for analysis, we have to wait until next Wednesday for results because of the holiday on Monday here :foxes15:

So far I know that something has elevated numbers, double the normal, I can't remember what because I didn't write it down and it's all greek to me anyway. I do remember that the bile test was ok and there is no inflamation.
Also, she's not showing any signs if illness, for all we can see she's just one happy healthy girl.
Now my long weekend is going to seem very very long.

Anyone here have ever dealt with liver problems in any of their pups?
How'd it go, how's it going and is there any hope of Kira having a recovery or a realitively healthy, happy life?

Thanks, really could use some words of encouragement
Tracey

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
This must be very upsetting. When I'm upset I often don't get all of the information either.
Maybe you could call back to the Vet and ask them to give you the details again
and you would be able to write it all down... I hope everything get sorted out soon for you both.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm very sorry, I sympathize with how unsettling this sort of thing is. On a positive note, it's good that it was caught and is being looked into. I agree with Therese, I'd call them back and ask for more detailed info. You can research it then and understand better what you're dealing with. Also, if you post more detailed info here maybe someone will have dealt with the same issue and can offer you some help and peace of mind. The fact that she is acting well and healthy is a good sign. Best of luck to you and your little girl. Please keep us posted. xx

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone

My vet is open tomorrow and I think I will stop in and ask them to 'spell' it out for me again :)
Worrysome info like that really does just start to leak out the other ear when it's first heard. I'll get a pen and paper tomorrow and put in one ear plug, that should help.

sorry, jokes seem to help relieve the worry, even bad jokes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm kind of angry with myself to because I had decided to not get the pet insurance figuring I'd put the amount of money I send to them every month aside and when the girls got older I have a nest egg. Now I may not be able to afford all the care she needs.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I recommend you still get the pet insurance. It generally pays for itself over time. There
are a lot of threads here on Chi Ppl on the subject.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea, sadly though it won't cover pre-existing conditions.
I'm going to look into it just the same.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree, get a copy of her bloodwork and then you can post what is out of whack and we might be able to shed some light on it for you. Liver elevations can be a sign of toxicity (she got into something), or of something more severe such as a shunt. But without knowing what her numbers are, it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
yea, sadly though it won't cover pre-existing conditions.
I'm going to look into it just the same.
It will cover accidents, dental problems, and a whole host of other things that may come up... And, some policies may cover pre-existing if you don't need it treated for a two-year period. Tabitha just had $664 in Dental and PetPlan is paying $554. Now she needs double knee surgeries! Insurance is vital for your financial health :D

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Smoke's first blood tests after he started having seizures showed elevated liver enzymes. Bile test was normal, which usually means no liver shunt. But the second time we got the blood drawn, everything was normal again. I think his seizures and elevated liver enzymes was the result of something he got into. Sometimes just a switch to a different diet and letting the liver rest a bit is all that is needed. We had him on a low protein diet for a month, tests were normal, then he went back to the normal diet and the blood tests are still normal. Hopefully it will be this easy for you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smoke's first blood tests after he started having seizures showed elevated liver enzymes. Bile test was normal, which usually means no liver shunt. But the second time we got the blood drawn, everything was normal again. I think his seizures and elevated liver enzymes was the result of something he got into. Sometimes just a switch to a different diet and letting the liver rest a bit is all that is needed. We had him on a low protein diet for a month, tests were normal, then he went back to the normal diet and the blood tests are still normal. Hopefully it will be this easy for you
I hope so, we live in an old house we're in the process of renovating so it's entirely possible that she got into something, she's always vacuuming something up from the floor no matter how much we watch her.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed all weekend long.
Her bile test was normal so hopefully no shunt.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi tracey so sorry your baby is haveing bad test results i have no answers but im also waiting on her update hope all goes well

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. But this is just one more reason why it's so important to get blood work before any surgery. Who knows what might have happened otherwise?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is just one more reason why it's so important to get blood work before any surgery. Who knows what might have happened otherwise?
Yes, the vet said if they had done the surgery the anestetic could have killed her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts