Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor little finn had a terrible reaction to his shots today :(
We stopped at petsmart after the vets and i was looking at the petbeds and when i checked out he as shaking his ears and rubbing his eyes continually. Then when we got in the car he was crying and doing it. Fortunately i had the vets number in my mind and pulled off and called them. I drove back and he got a shot of cortisone and another shot. He gave him the one shot in his little leg vein and it took FOREVER! I feel so horrible..his eyes were all swelled and his muzzle. But his heart sounded good. He is looking about normal now thank GOD!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The next reaction could be even more severe. He is obviously allergic to the vaccine or it's mix. I would NOT vaccinate him again. Have a titer drawn for parvo/distemper in about 3 weeks. It will likely show adequate immune response.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I understand how scared you must have been and how bad your baby must have felt and looked. I went through the exact same thing with my 1st chi Munchkin. It scared the daylights out of my hubby and I. I never saw my hubby drive so fast than he did when our dog started swelling, his skin turned red then went limp and then he passed out in our car on the way home from the shot. A normally 15 min ride too less than 5!!!! It was after his 1st Rabies shot. We were told to do the cortisone before the shot in the future. I opted for a rabies exemption certificate instead. Could never risk another reaction again!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Definitely get a rabies exemption...sometimes they don't react to the 1st one but almost always, future vaccinations show worse and worse reactions. Like Tracy suggested, I'd shell out the $65 or whatever it costs for a titer, and not jeopardize the little fella's health. Chances are he is immune at this point so there is no reason to give another vaccination, ever, really, in his life.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
He's old enough this shot should hopefully have covered him so fingers crossed it did -- I know it's more expensive, but I would DEFINITELY do a titer rather than vaccinate again, no matter what amount of pre-treating is done or done after lol. I am PARANOID and I pre-treat for 2 days before and 2 days after shots for all my crew w/ the max dosage of benedryl. And after the 1 year set of shots, I plan to titer and never vaccinate again but thats just me.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Awww CRAP!! STUPID VACCINATIONS!!!! As you may remember Mobie/Boo had bad reactions to a couple of his vacs. Before he went home I did opt to have his final puppy Distemper/Parvo combo vac & we had him premedicated with a Benadryl injection. He was obviously a bit "off" after the vac & I tried him with Benadryl afterwards but it wasn't nearly a bad of a reaction as the first two (I had vaccinated for parvo & distemper seperately--#1 parvo he had no reaction--#1 distemper he did & #2 parvo he did). I would NOT be able to get a Rabies exemption from the vet I took him too--I inquired about it. Grrr. I gave suggestions to his owner about future vacs but I'm still very nervous if a vet talks them into it. They do have natural products that actually counteract the reaction (benedryl basically just stops the side effects--not the reaction). Wish I knew that before doing vacs ourselves Good thing to have on hand.

Anyway, I'm really sorry. I can so relate--it's SO very nerve wracking & hard seeing them so miserable. :( I literally HATE vaccinating...!!!!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Awww poor Finn!!!! I totally know where you're coming from with ninjas reactions vet kept talking me into it and would not give me an exemption letter I jut told them to take him off the list for yearly vaccine reminders he hasn't had any shots since December 2009 and he's 100% fine. Even with the benedryl he still reacted pretty bad good luck at whatever you decide my advice would be like the others and not get any more vaccines.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
My Bu reacted very severely to rabies 3 yrs ago. So I opted to titer this time and he was well over what he needed to be. It cost us $135, but that's the same vet that said it would teeth cleaning would be $400. - $500, dpending on how many they had to pull. We've since switched vets.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Do these titer's need to be done every year to satisfy the state rabies requirement or can it be done only once?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Do these titer's need to be done every year to satisfy the state rabies requirement or can it be done only once?
I don't know that, and the vet wasn't clear. I will be interested in what others have to say. But regardless of what the law says, I cannot, and will not ever have the rabies vaccine given to him again.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The breeder called me yesterday and we talked about his reaction. She said he didn't have one to his first set of shots.
She said to give him the cortisone shot before the next set of puppy shots. She acted like she thought that would be fine. I think she has had a dog do that before and i believe she works at a vet office.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have heard of dogs getting the b4 shot and being perfectly fine make sure you get a first thing appointment ninja reacted 6 hrs later and we ended up back at emergency and that was with the b4 shot he's also reacted as long as 2 weeeks later

1 - 20 of 25 Posts