Chihuahua People Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Poppy was fine on her first puppy shots, it was only the annual booster a year later when problems manifested. Still worried & unsure what to do when the next ones come up. My vet also said about giving her an anti histamine shot, but her reaction & illness lasted over 2 weeks, how does one anti histamine shot prevent all that??!

Yep, Boo was fine with his first Parvo vac--no problems at all. Second was a no go. Each time they get a vac it puts their immune system in over drive so to speak so really...vacs every couple weeks is really hard on them & it makes sense if they didn't react to the first but did to each vaccine after.

Dealing with it myself...I'd probably complete his puppy vacs with the premedicating--but for me...I don't know if I'd subject him to the Rabies because pups have more reaction to that vac than the distemper/parvo vac.

The reason the pups do NOT get a reaction to the first shot, is their immune system has not had the vaccine before. The 2nd vaccine, the immune system recognized the vaccine, and decided it was a 'foreign' material and should be fought off. Why this happens is really complicated. Some dogs have this problem, and for them the titers are really a life saver. As far as rabies is concerned in most states this is the law. I get the 3 year one (same vaccine, just different label) so at least they can go 3 years. Some dogs react to the combined vaccines, and not the rabies, and others just the rabies??? Who knows why? Must be the fluid that is used to mix the vaccines with? Good luck. Sue and the chi's

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.