Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've had Vivienne for a couple weeks now. She had a growth on her shoulder that the original vet's office she was at said they'd take care of it for $80. I havnt had a chance to take her there yet (its over an hour away and she's having issues being in a car), but it's also starting to clear up a bit. It's greatly decreased in size and it's now baby pink instead of red.

However when I was checking her growth today i noticed her belly... Now, i've never had a female dog, so i am unfamiliar with spaying and the process (and healing) of it. There is a green mark still on her "undercarriage" and the stitching part has one part that looks like a bad scar and looks like it's still oozing (can't feel any secretion from it, it's just shiny and appears like it). But the other part of it is VERY swollen and one part feels almost like the skin grew over the stitching. I'm really very worried and don't know if this is part of the healing process from spaying. Also it seems like her lower belly is... not sure how to describe, not swollen, just kinda big while the rest of her is slim.

The local pet hospital (PetSmart's hospital which is across the street) is way mroe expensive but i'm really starting to get worried. I took a pic, maybe you guys can tell me if i should bite the bullet and just take her to the expensive one, or if i'm just overreacting.

Prepare for indecent puppy pic heh :\

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
The green mark isn't anything. Looks like marker to me. Like they marked her for some reason. The spay scar has developed some scar tissue. It doesn't look infected to me, but she does have some scar tissue forming.

Wait... It almost looks like there might be an infected suture under there though, the way it's bulging out. Hmmmm.... at first I thought it looked OK, but after studying it carefully I think it should be looked at by the vet. She could have the beginning of an abcess under there.

I'd bite the bullet and have her looked at. Usually follow up visits from spay surgeries aren't charged.

Brodysmom

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I would get that checked... The Vet who did the surgery should not charge for that followup visit. Hope Vivienne is okay.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys, we're going to take her today to the expensive clinic. Mainly because she'll be going to them from now on probably (PetSmart has pretty good health plans) Also I dont really want to take her back to the old clinic. I mean if they messed up something so basic as a spaying, i'd rather not trust them with Vivienne again.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It's probably nothing, but at least you'll get her records transferred over and have her established at the new vet for the future. Let us know what they say!

Brodysmom

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
From what I understand of it, spaying isn't really an easy surgery like neutering. It's very invasive to the animal and both common and easy for infections to pop up. :/

What did they say?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hmm the redness looks like a sign of inflammation, hope your vet can put your mind at ease.
Also the fat bits between their legs is normal. CAts and dogs carry extra weight there,they are called inguinal fat pads..

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Both my girls' internal stitches are a bit bumpy but only when you touch it you can feel them and just see them slightly under the skin but they've gone down a lot since.
I'd still get it checked out but i'm sure it's ok.

How is she going with everything else? is she getting better with staying home alone? eating and pooping etc?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's indeed gotten better with going to the bathroom (does it mostly outside now yay!) and the staying home we're working on. She is calm in the kennel now but loses her mind when she sees someone or when she's let out. Her freak out times are getting shorter now though thank goodness.

The vet took a look at her briefly (to save me the office visit) and it seems she was unable to dissolve the stitched so they are working their way out.They said they should all be out in about a week, and if not to bring her back. It is looking alot better now. That big inflamed area is now gone down but it's still discolored and now there's about a quarter inch of stitching sticking out of her. However that lower half still is oozing a little bit every now and then. I dont know if that's just the stitching working out underneath.

And i know spaying is more difficult and invasive, but what i meant by easy is that it's something a vet's office does do quite often. For it to get messed up, it makes me just not want to ever leave her with them. The PetSmart vet's are super wonderful and really checked her out well without charging me an office visit.

It seems Vivienne is a special case in everything (sigh). She can't dissolve stitches, she has no interest in toys, she loves bitter apple spray, and will shred socks if they get anywhere near her, she eats wrappers and rubber bands, and thinks her little hoodie makes her invincible lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts