Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chi has always had nice dry clean eyes and I wipe them daily every eveningsince the day I got her. A quick wipe, dry with cotton wool and they were done. For the last couple of weeks now though that isn't the case. They are running and tearing nearly constantly, one side worse than the other as there's a deep line down this side. Loads of reddish brown flakes keep coming off, on one side better than the other and her nose seems to be running a bit too. Instead of once a day I'm having to clean them two or three times and if I don't it's taking half an hour each evening instead of two minutes. I've started giving her bottled water but it doesn't seem to be having any effect whatsoever. Has anyone else had this?

· Registered
36 Posts
Could be an irritation, allergy or even infection (though an infection would probably have more symptoms like redness). If it doesn't get better in a few days maybe a trip to the vet would be best.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So we've been to the vet today as she was due her yearly examination anyway and I mentioned about her eyes. My vet did a test with a dye, she's got no ulcers or anything but the dye only appeared in the left side of her nose. The fur there went green but the right side, which is the eye that's stained worse, did not. She's been given drops for a week to try and clear any infection, and I've been told it might help clear any blockage too. I am having an awful time trying to put them in though, she just will not let me! The best I've managed is to put the drops on my thumb and try to wipe it in, not sure how effective that is! Has anyone gotten any suggestions for giving eye drops?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts