Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Chloes's tooth fell out. She probably needs a dental already. She's only 2! This on top of the luxating patellas. No wonder the "breeder" dumped her at the rescue. Poor little girl. She's going to cost me a small fortune I'm afraid. I brush her teeth every night, but I don't know how much it really helps.:(

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Awh, I know how you feel, Lola had her first dental this past May and had 6 teeth pulled! She's only 3.5 years old and I cried so hard but ever since her dental she's been a new and super happy dog! The vet and I have decided to do dentals every 6 months and keeping her under for shorter periods of time. She even said she would charge me half if we do it every 6 months. These little guys are notorious for bad teeth! You can try giving bully sticks or raw bones to help w dental care too!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Bonnie loves her bully sticks! I was playing a very gentle tug with her today, and she pulled out two bottom lower teeth! She is almost 6 months old, and she's just losing the tiny teeth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zorana, that's awesome that the vet will give you a reduced price. They are so expensive! Plus I hate to anesthatize her since she's so small. But, she probably needs it. Are the Bully Sticks better than rawhide or Greenies?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Are the Bully Sticks better than rawhide or Greenies?
Please DON'T give your babies rawhide or greenies. Rawhide expands in their digestive tract and can cause serious blockages. I knew someone whose dog nearly died from it. And greenies just have terrible ingredients. They make dogs very ill much of the time. if you have an issue with breath, brush their teeth or use that dental gel.

Bully sticks are the best thing to give a dog for oral health besides raw bones. I give both regularly and Toby's vet said his teeth are perfect, other than the two stubborn retained baby teeth that we are working on getting out.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I would have a vet look at her teeth and see if she needs a dental. You can brush every night and offer bully sticks and himalayan chews for dental health, but she could still have some teeth problems if nobody cared for her teeth before. I brush my dogs teeth 3-4 times a week and use Petzlife gel on the other days. One has beautiful clean teeth, and one still has plaque buildup. Some dogs are just more prone to it than others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, she will definately have to have a dental soon. I can't tell if the nightly brushings are helping much or not but I figure it can't hurt. The vet said she had the teeth of a much older dog, and of course the luxating patellas. But I couldn't help but to adopt her anyway. Missy what is Petzlife gel? Does it help? I will try the bully sticks too.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Please DON'T give your babies rawhide or greenies. Rawhide expands in their digestive tract and can cause serious blockages. I knew someone whose dog nearly died from it. And greenies just have terrible ingredients. They make dogs very ill much of the time. if you have an issue with breath, brush their teeth or use that dental gel.

Bully sticks are the best thing to give a dog for oral health besides raw bones. I give both regularly and Toby's vet said his teeth are perfect, other than the two stubborn retained baby teeth that we are working on getting out.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
I couldn't have said it better, 100% agreed!!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Yes, she will definately have to have a dental soon. I can't tell if the nightly brushings are helping much or not but I figure it can't hurt. The vet said she had the teeth of a much older dog, and of course the luxating patellas. But I couldn't help but to adopt her anyway. Missy what is Petzlife gel? Does it help? I will try the bully sticks too.
Petzlife is a gel that softens tartar and helps prevent more buildup. It has worked pretty well for my dogs. I apply it with my finger on the days I don't brush. A bottle costs around $25, but it lasts a long time.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
When is someone going to breed toothless Chihuahuas? My poor rescues have all these teeth issues. I am spending $$$$$$$$$$$ on teeth. I finally had Clover's all pulled out--she looks great and feels much better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts