Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im thinking of buying my first chihuahua but i keep hearing conflicting opinions on their temperament which is kind of concerning! lol. Some people tell me that they are affectionate and sociable and very friendly adorable little creatures. I REALLY want to believe this but then i hear the other side of the debate which tells me that they are very noisy, they growl and snap at people coming into the house and that they hate being picked up and cant stand other animals. I've even had more than a couple of people tell me that they once had a chihuahua but had to sell it because they ended up afraid of the dog. :shock: :shock: :shock: NOT good! i love the little guys but dont want to end up terrified of my 4lb bundle of fluff. lol.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Do your homework.........get a breeder that breeds for temperment as well as health and good genetics.....

I have a male that was mistreated in 2 homes- he has issues. I have a puppy 5.5 mos and she loves every single person she comes in contact with. So it depends too on how well you can socialize but I believe temperment is mostly already inherited. :wave:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I agree with Kemo's Mom, do your homework. My male is also 5.5 months old and he also loves everyone. However this isn't my first Chi and my first one was the same. He never met a stranger, he would bark if someone came to the door but it was an announcement. Once they were in the house they were welcome. Meet the breeders and the parents of the puppy. Buying for temperment is every bit as important (if not more so) than buying for looks.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I absolutely agree! DO YOUR HOMEWORK! lots and lots of research is important. There are a ton of good books out there on the breed."The Chihuhua Handbook" is wonderful! I will admit this breed is not for everyone.

sandra

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i agree with them..... as for them not wanting to be picked up..... my baby only wants to be carried around and many others have the same thing with their chi's. this one girl had that "problem" so she created a fleece pouch to carry hers around, now since it was such a hit she sells them on ebay.

here's my baby in her pouch. she sleeps in it while i carry her around and even when she's awake she loves the free ride.

·
Registered
47 Posts
my jasmine is one of those who does not like to be picked up. I read Chihuahuas for Dummies, but I don't remember this part! my vet says to keep picking her up so she can get used to it. I was afraid that forcing her to do anything would just freak her out with all the shaking etc. I hope he is right about this. She had a sister and she was completely differnt, so I belive Jasmine was just born this way. She will sit in your lap for hours and sleeps with me and shows her affection that way, but runs and will not let you pick her up. It is a problem, because I need to train her, but I have to catch her first! I am afraid she is going to end up running the show, if I can't get her to come when called etc. I have tried the treats etc and am still working on it. She is only 5 months old, so I am not giving up, by any means. Hope this helped. Just to let you know. By the way, when I got her (at a pet store, I know, big mistake) I held her the whole time I was talking to the people and purchasing her. I could not tell then that she was like this. Once I got her home, it was obvious she was shy and scared.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I agree......do your homework and research your breeder throughly. I was in my vet's office yesterday and Bella was with me.....there was a 160 Lb Newfoundland walking around the office............having had a newfie who passed away about 6 y/ago I was thrilled to see this fellow......What a sight......Bella at 3 1/2 Lbs and then this huge newfie LOL They just looked at each other and then went back to getting lot's of attention from the other people in the office ! The vet's was astounded that I had went from such a extremely large breed to the exact opposite LOL My hands and the side of my jeans were covered in slobber from the newfie........You don't get that from a chihuahua LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi, to the contrary of the negative opinions....when I was at the vet today with my Bella, the vet said that she was sooooo FRIENDLY, unbelieveably friendly, she said she couldn't believe it. The vet also said that some of the dogs are just shy....not vicious. But not me Bella, she is full of herself :D I believe it has to do with the breeder, and also very importantly, the family that raises the baby.
Hope that helps......I encourage you to go for the chihuahua breed, if you have the time and love, and also like the others said...."DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!" :D
Goodluck! :)

Like some others......A mistake (sorta) I got bella from a pet store, but I am glad, because now I could never let her go.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I am a person that had bad luck w/ my chihuahua. He had an awful temperment at times. He was like Jekyl and Hyde. One minute he was as nice as can be and then the next you couldn't touch him. If he wanted to go by my 2 sons he was fine..but if they chose to go by him he would growl at them. It resulted in me giving him up to a rescue b/c I could not trust him around my children and he hated anyone that came near my house. We are social people so that created quite a problem for us. I did get Mikey from a pet store. I have no clue what his parents are like.
A few of my friends have chi's and they are as sweet as can be! SO I have to agree w/ everyone else. Be sure you pick a good breeder. Meet the parnets and make sure they are friendly, you shouldn't have a problem if you go w/ a responsible breeder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts