Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Originally, Kyle and I had talked about getting some sort of set up for Brew to go potty on our deck for when the weather is awful/snowing.
Well, it's becoming more and more like winter here in the PNW and Brewster sure despises the rain. If we try to take him out to potty in the rain, he digs his heels right in. We then have to pick him up, take him out in the rain, and then he'll potty after looking absolutely miserable (this is all with a raincoat on, mind you.)
Kyle and I talked about making a porch potty, such as this one: The Adventures of Kym & Dustin: D.I.Y- Patio Dog Grass
However, we don't really have the time/materials/means at the moment, so we're trying out pee pads. We've tried to get him to potty on a fresh one but no luck. I put a pee pad right under Brew when I got him out to potty outside the other day to get his urine on it, but the smell hasn't enticed him any more than the regular fresh pee pad. Tonight we've been taking him out every fifteen minutes, but to no avail. We've even tried putting twigs and rocks on it, because he tends to go on things like that, but still nothing. He hasn't gone since way earlier today, so I know he needs to.
I'm wondering if anyone else has managed to train their outside potty dog to use pee pads? If so, how did you go about it?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
All of mine take themselves outside to potty year round (we're in Maine so get some extreme weather). Right outside the doggy door there is an enclosed area so they don't NEED to go out into the elements (they get the low temps & some snow in there but not a lot)...but I still see them go out into the play yard even in the deep snow. :lol: Before doggy door....we took our Chi's outside to potty & they adjusted to the weather just fine. Just pottied really quickly when it was cold, wet or snowy. LOL

So NO I've not pad trained my outdoor trained dogs. I figure...they're dogs & will adjust. And they did. :)

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
I'm with Heather. We're in Canada, and my gang go for walks all year
round, be it rain, wind, hail or snow. I think some positive reinforcement
and a waterproof/windproof coat will go a long way. He's a big boy he'll
adjust, if you are persistent. I strongly believe that.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Mine are also used to going outside all the time now. I live in the PNW as well and the rain can get really bad. Today it was pouring, and they both needed to go potty. It takes a few tries, but if they really have to go, they will go do their thing and then run back inside. I have only gone from potty pads to completely outside potty training, and not the other way around. Sorry I can't help with any advice there.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx goes out in all weather. We don't have a lot of cold weather here compared to some places but he goes out in rain, cold, and heat no matter what. We change his exercise sometimes to inside things if it is too hot or it is rainy but he goes out no matter what to potty. Jaxx didn't like the rain at first and doesn't care for cold weather but he goes out and does his business fast. I think I hate the change in weather more now than he does. I wouldn't personally change Jaxx to pee pads for the weather because I feel it would just confuse him and make him unsure where to go potty.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Just curious what he does if he doesn't pee outside in the rain? Does he go inside the house? Maybe if the rain is a new thing to him it will just take him awhile to get used to it. Odie is 100% trained to go outside if there's a yard available and will hold it even if a pee pad is available, but at our house she's pee pad trained. I have to say that in the winter when the temps are approaching -30 C and the wind is strong that I'm beyond happy that she's pee pad trained. Another reason it's convenient for us is when we travel and stay in hotels. There are definitely advantages. It just depends on what works for you.

Just as it would take persistence to train him to go in the rain, it's just the same with pee pads. He's going to eventually have to go pee, and you just have to catch him at that moment and take him to the pad or outside when it's raining and do it again and again until he gets it. I bet he'll surprise you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts