Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, we had our first class today and Bailey was really good! :)

There are two other couples, one has a 5 month old hyper LaberDoodle and the other has a 4 month old yipping mop looking (purebred) thing.... forgive me, I do not know how they spell the one breed or what they called the other. LOL

Bailey was the only one that already knew how to sit on demand! We were SO proud of him! The trainer was impressed that he already knew the command at only 9 weeks old. We have been working with him ever since he was 6 weeks. He also knows "come" but since the room was huge and there were strangers the mommy didn't introduce him to, he wasn't about to budge! lol

The trainer suggested getting Bailey a collar that he is to wear at all times. This will relieve some of his aggression towards having his harness and possibly clothing put on him. So, we got him a very cute collar and matching leash!!! We went to a different store and found these, sadly they didn't have a matching harness too, so we have to keep the ugly blue one for now.

We got him a name & address tag to match his collar, its kinda big on him at the moment.... but he is adjusting to it, right now its a chew toy *sighs*. The trainer said to put a bell on him (to know where he is at all times) but the tag jingles enough. I did put a bell on his harness that he will wear outside and to classes, and a bell on his leash. So, people will hear him coming! At home though, he doesn't need a bell!

Next week we will WOW them even more, because tomorrow I am boiling up some yummy chicken and Bailey is going to learn lots of things this week! :) He was the best behaved this week, I want to keep him shining in all the glory for all 8 weeks! hehehe

Oh, he also came out of his shell toward the end of the night and even instigated play with the smaller mop doggie. My big boy!!!!! :D

Bailey NOT amuzed by his new precious collar! Forgive my paint shirt.... lol

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
ahhhh very cute collar! petsmart has a couple collars that are just made for puppies, too adorable! i didn't like their name tag machine though...i've read that the letters aren't engraved just printed. i got an engraved one but it kept bothering him :p so back to square 1

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one I got I actually had to go to Pet Supplies Plus to get, its engraved. :)

That is also the same place that had the CUTE boy collar too! lol

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
hehe yayee! :) collars are so fun to get, there's so many and even those crazy ones that cost like $50 at luxury puppy stores haha o.o

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not going to buy him a $50 dollar collar..... not until he is FULL GROWN and stops chewing on it anyway! lol :D

I told hubby the other day that he is lucky I haven't gone to my jeweler and ordered Bailey a diamond studded one! LMAO!!!!

I

·
0 Posts
well done bailey!

Sounds like he will get along really really well.
And his new collar is just fab!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Chopper had a harness just like that red with white bones. Isn't it cute? Bailey we are all so proud of you for being such a good boy in class. Keep up the good work!!

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, we are still smiling about the class! It was just so sweet that my lil baby, the smallest and youngest puppy there could already sit on command in a big scary room! hehehe :)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Well done Bailey!! What a smart boy :)
I love his new collar!!
I bought Carl a few collars from a lady online and she embroidered his name on them. :)
I wish I had socialized my pups more when they were babies. Carl is terrified of other dogs and Mia barks like crazy when she sees other dogs ::) Carl has even started barking at other dogs because of her!! Luckily they're all bark and no bite :p

3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well done Bailey!! What a smart boy :)
I love his new collar!!
I bought Carl a few collars from a lady online and she embroidered his name on them. :)
I wish I had socialized my pups more when they were babies. Carl is terrified of other dogs and Mia barks like crazy when she sees other dogs ::) Carl has even started barking at other dogs because of her!! Luckily they're all bark and no bite :p
That is really cool! I wish I knew how to make collars and stuff. :)

As for the socialization stuff, that is what I want to avoid! I want Bailey to be a friendly & loving Chi that can be taken everywhere with me, and know that I can TRUST him not to bite and be a royal poop head!

He does great with people so far, he just loves to lick everyone to death! Which is fine with me, but he also gets really excited and starts chewing on fingers and clothes.... I assume that is all just puppy teething, but I still want him to learn that we don't use teeth on skin. He is nervous about other dogs, hides on my foot or tries to climb up my jean leg if he is on the floor. lol

Really the only problem we have with him is that he gets aggressive when he doesn't get his way. Oh and that he is a very stubborn, strong-willed little booger! Other then that, he is a great lil dog that makes us happy to call him our's! :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
aww bailey is such a good little dog! i started on bam's puppy class when he was about 12 weeks and just like bailey, he was the smartest, fastest learner in the class. Chihuahuas are extremely intelligent and eager to please. we were in a class with a golden retriever, 2 shiba inus, 2 brittanys, aaaand one more i can't remember. bam already knew sit when we started and he was already housebroken.

as for the collar, bam did NOT like that one bit so we don't have one on him although now i'm starting to think he should wear one. he is totally fine wtih his harness adn clothes although in the beginnign he used to HATE them so mucha nd it was a real struggle putting the harness and clothes on him. especially putting things over his head, forget about it, he went nuts nad tried to attack it (but sweet bam would stop once he got my hand by accidnet i think he felt bad haha) so what i ended up doing was lure him into the harness with a treat - put my hand with the treat in it through the hole in the harness thats supposed to go over his head, and lure the harness over him while he is distracted by the treat - he basically puts the harness over his head on his own haha but now he has no problem and alhtough he doesnt really liek some of his clothes we dont have trouble puttting those on him either.

as for bite inhibition training, it is hard to train them especially when theyre teething as puppies but just say NO firmly and stop playign when he bites your skin. i taught bam NO, and then i say KISSES so he stops biting and licking. he knows this command really well now, so when we play and he gets a little too crazy and starts biting if i say NO BAM KISSES he stops and licks like crazy! it's actually really cute.

good luck with the rest of bailey's classes! i had so much fun at our puppy class!

·
Registered
42 Posts
awwwwwwwww well done Bailey. I wish we had put a collar on Keegan when we got him but we were advised by the breeder not to so we stuck with what she told us. Keegan gets over excited when he knows it is walkies time and the step in harness we have is a godsend as the one that used to go over his head he absolutely hated. He does not appreciate anything new so I think it is a little too late to introduce him to collars now!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts