Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet told me that it's best if Bailey doesn't jump off furniture and to start with stairs now as she's young. I got stairs at Petsmart for $25, thought was a good deal!!

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Definitely a great idea! :) Bailey looks like she got the hang of it. Awesome deal
too, there are no prices like that around here. Does the cover come off so you
could wash it?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely a great idea! :) Bailey looks like she got the hang of it. Awesome deal
too, there are no prices like that around here. Does the cover come off so you
could wash it?
Yes it does!!! They had another set for twice as much but was quite tall. She's good at going up but I needs work using down.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
We have those stairs! Odie is so suspicious of them though, haha. I think they're not as sturdy as she'd like. Looks like Bailey likes them!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Those are nice steps. I need a pair too. Amberleah has decided she not afraid to jump off the tallest things. GRR!!! She jumped twice off my bed, scared the heck out of me. it is very high and hard wood floors. If I got her them I hope she use them and not jump no more.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far Bailey is using them both up and down. I'm sure she won't all the time but better than none!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Did you get sets for all of the high furniture or just one set? I have thought about getting those, but I've never had a problem with Ote trying to jump.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I don't want this to come out different than I mean it to, but I'm surprised that anyone would think it's ok for any toy dog to jump from any piece of furniture, be it a lounge, chair, bed etc. regardless of whether it's onto carpet, concrete or wood floors. I wouldn't even allow my Chi babies to go up & down human sized steps without being carried due to skeletal & muscular strain, regardless of hour slight. Nor are my pups ever allowed to dance on their back legs or even stand on them.

There's a reason those of us with giant breed dogs carry them up and down stairs for the first year of their life, never let them jump up on back legs at all, ever, or allow them to go on long walks etc. until at least 6 months nor be overly active in play at all - it's to give their hip joints time to grow properly and the bones to fully develop. Same principle in it being illegal for a racehorse to be broken in until it's 2yo as it's shin bones are no where near developed, they're like jello - I never broke a horse in until it was 5yo for this very reason.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's so wonderful that you're starting her out with those and she's taking to them well!
I have stairs for the ferrets to get in and out of their cage, and I've tried to get Lacey to use them to get up and down from the futon. She's absolutely petrified of them. She takes a flying leap to get onto the futon, and then when she wants to get down, she takes a flying leap OVER the stairs.
Since she's already 2 yrs and had never seen stairs before because of being with the breeder, I'm having a very difficult time teaching her that stairs are useful and not scary.
The stairs I have convert into a ramp, but she still won't use it.
Again, gooooooooood decision on your part to get Bailey going with them now. She looks like she's doing well with them! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just saw a set of stairs like this at Marshall's and thought of this thread! I was about to get them, it was such a deal. $10....but they were leopard and zebra print. Had to pass up the opportunity until a later date when they have solid colored ones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts