Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, Bella is still bald by her ears. My vet said it could be an allergic reaction to her food so I switched her to something without chicken and it didn't help. I do know that her grandma is a solid blue and if you see Bella in person, she is not quite "black-black" if that makes sense. Could this have anything to do with her fur-loss? I am thinking about putting her on The Missing Link as I have heard from some people on here that it may help.

Thanks!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Some of the smaller ones seem to have the thinner hair, I am not sure why? I just have seen that it is common in photos here and puppies I've seen...I bet the missing link might help Bella -- it seems to really help them grow coat ? But the baldness near the ears / temple region, I have seen on many, many, many black and tan's, including one of my mom's chihuahuas. Not sure why??? I think it may just be more obvious on the black and tan's. It IS possible Bella has the blue gene too...but I don't know enough to know if that can affect normally pigmented puppies/adults, I think they have to be blue to have CDA?? Maybe someone else can clarify...nose color is your biggest clue as to what color the dog is, if you are unsure, if there is black pigment, the dog itself is not a blue. Eye color also lends a clue -- blue or light colored eyes don't show up in black dogs.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
My Faith is a blue tri and half of both her ears are bald, she looks so funny and it's the only place she has any baldness (besides her tummy of course). I know for Faith at least it's not food or allergies.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of the smaller ones seem to have the thinner hair, I am not sure why? I just have seen that it is common in photos here and puppies I've seen...I bet the missing link might help Bella -- it seems to really help them grow coat ? But the baldness near the ears / temple region, I have seen on many, many, many black and tan's, including one of my mom's chihuahuas. Not sure why??? I think it may just be more obvious on the black and tan's. It IS possible Bella has the blue gene too...but I don't know enough to know if that can affect normally pigmented puppies/adults, I think they have to be blue to have CDA?? Maybe someone else can clarify...nose color is your biggest clue as to what color the dog is, if you are unsure, if there is black pigment, the dog itself is not a blue. Eye color also lends a clue -- blue or light colored eyes don't show up in black dogs.
Okay, thanks:) Her's has seemed to get worse here recently and I feel so bad:( Her eyes are brown, so not light colored..maybe it's all the stress from LIBBY!!!!! haha

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Her fur did look thin in the last pics you took of her--I would totally try the Missing Link for her, my mom is trying it for her chi Taylor which has baldness in all the same spots as Bella! I thin Brody is the same, and my guess is Kristy's new girl will have similar thin spots of fur on her temples and possibly legs as that seems to be where you see it? Interestingly enough, all of them are black and tan! ???

·
Registered
74 Posts
marley is similar colouring to bella and she has the same thing - her hair looks quite thin right infront of her ears...i have never noticed it get worse its just been like that - the rest of her coat is healthy and shiny so I just assumed its normal for her coat cause it is quite thin

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
marley is similar colouring to bella and she has the same thing - her hair looks quite thin right infront of her ears...i have never noticed it get worse its just been like that - the rest of her coat is healthy and shiny so I just assumed its normal for her coat cause it is quite thin
Hmm, maybe their coloring has something to do with it?! Bella's fur is so soft, but it is thin. Haha, she makes me think of an old man with those "receding-like" hair lines!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Ah Bella Luna, Quigley thinks you are beautiful with or with out fur.

I started using "the Missing Link" after Zoey's Mom Heather told us about it. She warned me it would take a couple of months to see effects. Sure enough. Quigley still has bald spots on the back of his legs and the spot they shaved him in August for his surgery. He is defiantly getting hair coming in. It is slow coming. It has started on the outer edge of the bald spot and is moving in. He also had hyper pigmentation (dark skin)(it was almost black, a symptom of his testosterone issues) where the bald spots were. His skin is almost back to the "normal" pink color. I love the product. You get a lb bag and you use less then a tsp a day. It will last forever. I did not get the plus version for joint care as I don't think he needs it right now. I got the special diet one because he is on low protein because of his kidney issues.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am loving these testimonials on the Missing Link! I've ordered some for Brody and wish it would get here. He has the thin hair in front of his ears and the bald neck. Very sparse hairs on his chest and inside his legs. If it helps him get more coat, I will be thrilled!

Amber it would sure be worth a try. :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I am loving these testimonials on the Missing Link! I've ordered some for Brody and wish it would get here. He has the thin hair in front of his ears and the bald neck. Very sparse hairs on his chest and inside his legs. If it helps him get more coat, I will be thrilled!

Amber it would sure be worth a try. :)

I keep watching Quigley's bald neck. I have not seen changes there yet. I have a hard time looking under there though. He is a bit rambuncious if I mess with his neck. LOL. The inside of his legs have remarkable improvement. I know Zoey was blad under her neck and her's filled in well.

Good luck Brody.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts