Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my chi's has a bald spot on his back, but near his butt. I brought him to the vet and she did a skin scraping and he was negative for bacteria and fungus. The vet gave me some medicated soap and spray for the spot but I've been using it for a month and the spot isn't growing back..he's still biting at it. I asked her if it could be allergies and she just said I don't think so. How would she know? He also licks his paws a great deal...but I always thought that he was just a very neat groomer :lol: I've read on here that this paw licking may be a sign of allergies. Also, his tail curls over sort of when he's standing and running around and the tip of his tail touches the exact part that he's biting at..Could this be why? It seems that he always chases his tail first and then bites that spot..Any suggestions anyone? And if you think it might be allergies what kind of food and soap should I be using? I have him on lamb and rice(pet store quality, not grocery store). Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
I dont know really what to say but maybe you should try switching food... I have been researching dog food A TON lately because i am about to get my first chihuahua and i want everything to be perfect! Wellness is a good food for dogs with allergies, its all natural and from what i have heard dogs seem to be fine after changing their foods... i hope maybe that helps, it must be frustrating! I hope ur baby gets better soon!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
does he have the tell tale staining of the feet? with food allergies they usually have the reddish brown staining on their paws from the licking and chewing. also there would be more than just one patch of fur missing...it's a hot spot. they are caused by lots of things. a bug bite mostly starts off the itch and once they get it started forget it, they will chew and chew til it's raw, it makes it hard for them to stop cause it becomes habit forming. i would use a tea tree oil spray on it to keep it from itching. it's what i used on my dog's and i used it on one of my mosquito bites lol. i got mine from pet smart it's called vetereinarian's best, nature's care soothing hot spot itch relief spray with tea tree oil and soothing aloe. and if you find them licking this off spray with bitter apple so the get turned off by the taste.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts