Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a Holiday to Thailand for 2 weeks in this time Bandit stayed at my best friends house. She always had a flea problem there but she said she had bought these tablets and her little chi didn't have flea's any more.
I didn't factor in that their mum had recently moved back in she had a 2 cats and a little old dog. Which I'm guessing now where untreated.

So I ended up picking bandit up earlier than expected. My friend was at work she didn't have time to bath him. :S When I got him he was covered in flea poop so dirty. She has mentioned to me when i was away that he has flea poop on him but he wasn't itching so I thought maybe the previous treatment was doing its job. I washed him straight away picked as many off as I could find then 24 hours later I treated him with Advantix. on the packet it said starts killing with in 5 mins.

8 or so hours later i picked him up there is still so many running around. I've picked so many off and now I keep checking him but the treatment isn't doing anything. I keep on trying to keep him on his own little blanket so he doesn't infect the house. >.<

What should I do. Never had them like this before!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm thinking of asking a vet about the pill treatments I'm a bit unsure cause Bandi hasn't got the strongest stomach and certain foods can set him off with runny poops

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Odd the treatment isn't working,is it in date ? i use a flea comb on mine ,get a bowl of hot water and if you get any plunge the comb in the water and they die.Poor little thing

·
Registered
786 Posts
Honestly, what I found worked best for fleas on my little one was a small bath with warm water and Dawn dish soap. It killed 99% of the fleas off the bat. She was too young to be treated with flea treatment when we got her, so the veterinarian told me to try this method. It worked great!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Odd the treatment isn't working,is it in date ? i use a flea comb on mine ,get a bowl of hot water and if you get any plunge the comb in the water and they die.Poor little thing
Yeah I bought it that day >.<
Yeah I have to buy my self a flee comb I've been picking them off and putting them in the cup of water.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, what I found worked best for fleas on my little one was a small bath with warm water and Dawn dish soap. It killed 99% of the fleas off the bat. She was too young to be treated with flea treatment when we got her, so the veterinarian told me to try this method. It worked great!
Hmmm I'll try this method!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Weird that it hasn't helped him. Icant remember if it's advantix we use for fleas or what, but I know many of the topical treatments are meant to go on an unbathed dog, I think they need the oils in the skin/ coat to distribute the medicine throughout his coat and kill the fleas. Maybe he was too squeaky clean from being freshly bathed for it to work properly? Call your vet and ask what to do for him, I wouldn't retreat him unless your vet thinks it's safe to do so. You may also want to ask for something like drontal tabs to worm for tapeworm, with such a heavy flea infestation there's no way he won't develop tapeworm as a result, I'd nip that in the bud now before they have a chance to get going!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well he is quite fluffy and I sometime worry that not enough of the liquid is going onto his skin. I get my partner to hold him and spread his neck hair apart but it still manages to get in his hair.

I thought it was 24 hours after a bath but I may be wrong. I'll give my vet a call tomorrow and suss it out

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I'm so sorry you are battling the dreaded flea. :( Also sorry I can't remember Bandit's age or size ,but if he is size of your avatar and you have already used Advantix I would be afraid to use flea pill on top of that. May be too much flea medicine in his system for his size/age. If it were me I would keep doing the previous poster's suggestions of flea comb/hoto water and warm bath and Dawn until under control then if possible when you have him under control can you bomb your home to kill any that have jumped off of him? You would also have to bomb again in 21 days I think to kill eggs that hatch but read the directions on the flea bomb it has been years since I used them so I'm a little foggy-haha no pun intended.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He is a year and a half and he weights 1.7 kilos which is 3.7 lbs I think.

Yeah I wouldn't double him up on the 2 different treatments just as you said do the natural for the rest of the month then get another one that hopefully works!
Yeah a few fleas have jumped off I've been trying to keep him on his own little blanket on the lounge and floor but it's a little hard haha

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
OH NO!!! lol i would suggest using front line thats wat we use its a British one i think but you can get it on pets at home ect. :) it works REALLY good lol

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
This happened to me when i took Axle with me to visit my sister in QLD. He had been treated with Advantix the day before we left but he still got covered in fleas. To get them off we washed him with flea shampoo, this makes them try to jump off so they come to the surface and are easier to find, then leaving him in the tub under running water we flea combed him for about an hour until every single flea was gone. Unfortunately I think manually removing them is the only way, especially if you want to avoid them setting up camp in your house - good luck!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i think the dawn dishwashing liquid sounds like the best idea hes very small for all those chemicals good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts