Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bandit is my 4 1/2 month old Chihuahua. I am a brand new dog owner, so all of this is new to me. Bandit shares the house with 3 cats - one of which actually plays with him. All of the cats are about 3 times his size, but he doesn't seem to notice.

I think my cats are teaching him how to act like a cat. He will bat at my fingers under the covers, chase the cat fishing pole toys when I twitch them, and chew the toy mice to pieces. He also knows what to do with a litter box. The trick is getting him to go there when I am not in that room. I have a "pet park" box with a grass like pad that I am using to housebreak him, and it goes from room to room with me. I much prefer him to use the litter box and that is the ultimate goal.

I will post pictures once I get a chance to take some.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi and welcome! Sounds like you have your hands full! But I bet its lots of fun watching Bandit play with the cat lol!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hey! Welcome! :)
Congrats on your new pup!!!
May I ask why you want Bandit to use the litter box?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it sounds strange, but I have to have an alternative to him going outside. Unfortunately I work and so he is left in the house with the cats for about 9 hours a day. I figure that I deal with the litter boxes anyway, so that would be the best solution for my house.

I bought the "potty patch" with the idea that the grass like mat it has would help, but the grass pad holds most of the urine, so it really smells after just a short amount of time. I just ordered a second grass patch, so maybe I can do more than just rinse this one off. I am hoping that I can run it through the wash without ruining it, but I want a backup before I try. If they can actually be run through the wash, then this will work without resorting to an actual litter box.

A pet door is out of the question as I have indoor only cats, and there are too many other animals (mostly cats, but skunks too) that could make their way in.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh he's beautiful!!! Wow I love his color! :p

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
ps: your kitties are really sweet too. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Bandit is so adorable and so are your kitty cats :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
He's really pretty! I just have my new chi and a cat, and he is taking up some cat habits too. LOL Anyhoo....on the litter box thing. I too am doing that, but I put pee pads in there and change them twice a day. He is basically trained now. We took a plastic sterlite tray and made it to look like a litter box and put his pads in there. It is working well for us. He will go outside too if he is out and about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.