Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Well..maybe a few of you have been in this same boat! My boyfriend and I brought our chihuahuas on vacation last week. The trip is 10 hours by car and the dogs were great travellers - sleeping most of the time.

However, when we got back...around 3am (after the trip)...i woke up to find my 3 yr old female barfing her little guts out. It was A LOT. And she also had diarrhea. She threw up in at least 5 places (big piles for a little dog), followed by bile and the runs as well. I thought she was going to die! Later in the day - she seemed fine.
i called the vet and they suggested a bland diet--brown rice and boiled chicken. Which seemed to do the trick.

I fed the bland diet Monday and Tuesday. Then switched to her regular food again, which i think was a mistake because this morning she threw up bile. The vet is booked but the receptionist said they normally suggest feeding the bland diet for 2 weeks. OOPS..my bad. I just assumed i could go back right away.

My dog had a bowel movement yesterday and today..which seemed almost nearing normal again - but had some mucous in it. I am wondering if I should be concerned about the mucous..or if this is just her system repairing itself.

The sucky part is..I am on holidays again for a week and am leaving the dogs with a chi breeder lady that i know(where i got my 2nd chi from). I am pre-making meals of the chicken and rice for the week I am gone. But i am still worried. I hate the thought of leaving my 'sick kid' behind.

Have any of you had to feed the bland diet for an extended period of time? Or have you dealt with major barfing problems and what happened? any input on this?

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Hi
The mucous is the lining repairing itself yes, try giving the dog Primal Defense (If u want more info PM me) its a probiotic that helps replace the good bacteria she is losing. 2 weeks semms rather long to me, but I would suggest gradually adding the reg food back in not all at once once the poop get solid again--I am curious as to why she is doing tihs all of a sudden (and I hate when vets make u wait) aaarggggghhhh whole other isuue.

I know its hard to leave them when they are like this but sounds like she may be in good hands while your gone :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU!

thank you! for the reply...good to know (re; the mucous thing)....
I have no time to get that Primal Defense stuff..but will e-mail you if she continues to have issues once she is back home. Good to know...thanks!

Re: the barfing suddenly. Well, she doesn't have the best make-up to begin with (backyard breeder..rescue dog whole other issue).....so, there are times when she will make like she is going to puke, but won't...or make gurgly noises...at times she will puke bile will no ill effects (maybe 1 month to every 2 months). *she is on a good food..was eagle pack..but right now it's royal canine kibble for struvite cyrstals*

I have a sneaking suspicision that she must have eaten something that disagreed with her. She is always inhaling stuff off the floor. The day we got back from our trip (and maybe it was the 10 hour drive?)...our toilet was also broken. The landlord came to fix it and there was water all over the bathroom floor..with that blue stuff in it. I think she may have stepped in it..then licked her feet later on, while cleaning? who knows? It is the only explanation I can think of. I'm just glad she's not vomiting like she was a few days ago, and that today it was only bile.

ERGGGHHHHHHH......i hate to leave her though. Boo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts