Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on how to stop Bandit from biting, and how to get him to stop barking.

I know with house breaking it was just consistency, and I am sure it must be similar for these issues. I am just not sure how to express my unhappiness with his actions when he bites or barks excessively. I understand barking is perfectly normal, but 15 minutes of it really gets on my nerves.

Bandit does not seem to grasp "no" or "stop". He also seems to be able to tune out my unhappy voice. I need ideas on what to do, please!

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I use a spray bottle of water and say "no bark" and give a spray. They hate getting sprayed in the face, one spray usually is enough, unless you got a real determined barker, then it may take a little more. Now, all i have to do usually is lift the spray bottle and they stop. As for the biting, is it in play? I used to carry a toy with me and have them chew on that rather than me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For biting, I get a toy, and also say 'ouchie'. He will usually start licking me to make up.

For barking, I let him do some, and compliment him on being a good watch dog. Then I say 'enough' or 'shhh'. If he doesn't stop, I shake a little metal container that I put bottle caps in. He hates that sound and stops uncontrolled barking. I don't use it much, and sometimes can just rattle it before he barks and he stays in control of himself.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I knew that there had to be better ideas than "swatting his nose." Which is what people around me were saying.

He really is very good at only 5 months old. I just don't want to encourage habits I will have to work harder to break later. I also don't want to hit him and make him scared of me. I knew there had to be other ideas, so thank you again.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi sounds like you a very good momy already if you dont have a spray bottle i think a loud disturbing noise even clapped hands to stopp the barking with the words he knows for stop the biteing has been already said to put a sock or toy to play hes most probly has teething issues right now but dont put up with the biteing nip that in the bud good luck to you and little cute bandit

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Well when Axle went through this stage guess what I did? Got another dog! And he stopped all the naughtiness right away coz he was no longer bored and looking for ways to amuse himself. If you're not up for that the spray bottle and noisy shaker sound good.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
A pop can with pennies and duct tape over it worked wonders for me. (I have 3 barkers...) Initially, I would just say "No bark" and shake it. Now, all I have to do it say "No bark"...But I have found that I have to catch the barking 'trigger' before they do in order to get them under control. Once they get started, it's hard to get 3 to listen to you!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well when Axle went through this stage guess what I did? Got another dog! And he stopped all the naughtiness right away coz he was no longer bored and looking for ways to amuse himself. If you're not up for that the spray bottle and noisy shaker sound good.
As much as I am tempted to get another dog, I don't think it is practical for me. I feed 5 cats - four are mine and three live in the house. I find that I really want to rescue very animal I come across, but I already have my finances at the limit for animals.

Then there is the fact that Bandit can go with me for weekends when I visit my parents. I don't want to press my luck with more. And having someone look in on the cats is easier than trying to find someone to take care of a dog.

All of that to say, as much as I love the idea, I will have to stick with noise or a spray bottle.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
A pop can with pennies and duct tape over it worked wonders for me. (I have 3 barkers...) Initially, I would just say "No bark" and shake it. Now, all I have to do it say "No bark"...But I have found that I have to catch the barking 'trigger' before they do in order to get them under control. Once they get started, it's hard to get 3 to listen to you!

That's what our vet said to use.....pennies in a can. That and the spray bottle. My pup Timmy is a hard one to break though cause when I leave the room, he's right back at it.:foxes15: Just have to be consistent!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having the same problem ( biting) with my new pup. I am currently trying the squealing technique and it works most times but not others. When it doesnt work he will back off only to bark and come right back to nipping. The same thing goes for tugging at the bottom of our pants while we are walking.

I would like to stop this ASAP but i do understand that he is teething so Everytime i squeal and he backs off i immediately praise him and give him a chew bone in efforts to redirect him. This usually works.

For those times where squealing doesn't work and redirecting doesnt work what should i try other than trying to startle him with water or loud noise?

I would crate him but i dont want him to associate his crate with isolation or punishment because he sleeps there.

He is around 3.5 maybe 4 months old and he is nuetered if this helps. He doesnt break skin but it does hurt.

Any suggestions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.