Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought BonBon to the vet when I first got her and while we were waiting at the waiting room she barked non-stop the whole time.(she was in a crate)
It was so embarrassing and the vets kind of kicked me out. I took her to the car and waited in there with her.:sad10: She was perfectly fine when she got her shots and everything, she didn't even struggle. Do I have to wait in the car with her every time now? What do you think I should do the next time I have to bring her?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Would she do better if you held her?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it would help at all. She is dog reactive and scared of people so that might make her bark even more. :-(

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Is she used to be being in a crate? Would it help if you covered it with a blanket so she couldn't see anything?

It sounds like she's very noise and motion sensitive, and the only way I know to deal with that is to de-sensitize her over time, which will take patient training, and more than one person working with her.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Tico will bark continuously in his crate. But he stops once I take him out. Maybe socializing her more, taking her places where there are a lot of people and dogs are around, will get her used to the commotion of the vets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How do I socialize a reactive dog?:confused: I don't think she will hurt any other dogs but I'm afraid she might snap. I was thinking maybe one on one play dates would help her think that playing is fun but I don't have any friends to help me. I tried bringing her out to the pet store but it seemed to overwhelm her and whenever she sees a dog somewhere she will start barking and people give me the stares :(.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I take mine to Petsmart or Petco and wander around with them, starting by carrying them the first few times and then having them walk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
she barks when I carry her and tries to get out of my arms to get to the dog. When I walk away she starts throwing a big fit. I even tried using a dog purse but she still does the same thing. :(

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Godric barks nonstop, but if I hold him tightly at the vet it comforts him enough to be quiet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts