Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Cricket is home and all settled in. She is feeling more comfortable and has started barking. Please tell me what to do when she barks to train her to stop. I want to curb it now. Do we spray with water, ignore it, tell her quiet, or something else? Please help. I want to train her well.

If we do tell her quiet, can you teach me how? Do I praise her when she stops? I am so confused.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
By barking what do you mean? Randomly barking for no reason or for telling you something is going on? You don't want to completely curb her barking.

There are loads of things you can do..remember you need to do something and be consistent. I attempted to use water when Daisy was nipping.. it didn't work she just looked like a drowned rat.

Now is the time for you to establish how you're going to discipline her.. i use a noise and if needed i poke her on her neck or back leg and i stick to that with everything it works for me (and Cesar Millan ha ha)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
With Jake I can use either "Ignore" or the "be Quiet" route.
Spraying with water I have never tried but can imagine with Jake it would turn into a game and it also means by barking he would get some attention.

However Jake is a good boy and rarely barks unless its to tell the big black cat "This is MY garden"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is barking for attention when I put her in her puppy playpen. She wants someone to come take her out or play with her. My kids pet her in there all the time because it has a low top so they can reach right in. We also take her out and play with her around the house. She barks when she is alone in there and we are busy.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
In that case I would ignore her as even telling her to be quiet is gaining her attention, if you ignore her then the barking isn't going to get a result, its just having the patience to see it through

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the ideas everyone! We are going to ignore her and see if that works. She is doing more whining than barking today. So maybe it is working. Fingers crossed! After she has all her vaccinations in about a month we will be taking her to a special small breed training class.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts